[3.2][3.3][RC] Thanks for posts (and optional Tapatalk integration)

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Naguissa
Name: Naguissa

Re: [3.2][RC] Thanks for posts (and optional Tapatalk integration)

Post by Naguissa »

It's a bug on new installs. I've fixed it, you can download new release here: https://github.com/Naguissa/thanks_for_ ... /tag/3.2.1

I introduced it when changing from images to FontAwesome stars, I'm sorry.

It has nothing to do with BOM.
Bumblebee2018 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 pm Hi there,

I have installed the extension OK. But when I come to use it I get the following errors:

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/gfksx/ThanksForPosts/core/helper.php on line 627: Division by zero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/gfksx/ThanksForPosts/core/helper.php on line 627: Division by zero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4517: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4517: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)
I get these errors if I go to the post page. I have read where you talk about BOM, but I have resaved the file using Notepadd++ and even downloaded a fresh version of phpbb (I'm using 3.2.2) and over-written the functions.php file.

I'm not sure what to do about the 'Division by zero' error.

Would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Bumblebee2018

Post by Bumblebee2018 »

Ah brilliant. Thanks so much. I'll re-do it and see what happens.
:D
Bumblebee2018

Post by Bumblebee2018 »

Hi again,
I have now installed it, but it does not show up on the posts?

Would be very grateful if you could have a look.
Naguissa

Post by Naguissa »

Bumblebee2018 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:13 pm Hi again,
I have now installed it, but it does not show up on the posts?

Would be very grateful if you could have a look.
I don't understand you very well: What's not showing? Thanks button, rating, etc.

If it's about ratings, havo you checked ACP --> Extensions section? There're 4 sections about Thanks and Rankings.

Can you provide a link to a public board to check any problem?

Thanks.
Bumblebee2018

Post by Bumblebee2018 »

Sorry for being vague!

I have installed the extension as per the instructions.

I then went to the extensions tab and made sure all of the 'thanks' options were turned on.

When on a post I can see where it shows how many times the post has been thanked, and also how many times a user has thanked.

What I cannot see if any vehicle in order to actually do a thank. i.e there is no icon on show that I could press to add a thank.

There are just the standard 5 icons showing up.

Here is an image showing you what I can see:
Naguissa

Post by Naguissa »

Bumblebee2018 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 pm Sorry for being vague!

I have installed the extension as per the instructions.

I then went to the extensions tab and made sure all of the 'thanks' options were turned on.

When on a post I can see where it shows how many times the post has been thanked, and also how many times a user has thanked.

What I cannot see if any vehicle in order to actually do a thank. i.e there is no icon on show that I could press to add a thank.

There are just the standard 5 icons showing up.

Here is an image showing you what I can see:

Wait, wait: You CAN'T thank to yourself! In that screenshot both posts are from admin, the user you're logged in as...
Bumblebee2018

Post by Bumblebee2018 »

Doh!

Thanks so much for this.
I feel stupid lol
:oops:
Naguissa

Post by Naguissa »

Bumblebee2018 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:55 pm Doh!

Thanks so much for this.
I feel stupid lol
:oops:

No problem; dit it worked well on other users?
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Thank you very much Naguissa for the hard work.

I have managed to install the updated package, it's working correctly, and I've updated the language files to turn this into a 'like' system for my board.

At first, I noticed a massive performance hit - 10+ second server hangs which I didn't have before. This seems to have settled down, so hopefully it was a temporary phenomenon on installation or just a coincidence and Google bots started crawling me on mass. I do have a very big board - 33K users and 1.9M posts

It is good that the ability to give thanks can be set in group forum permissions. However, for me, because I did not have standard roles defined, I had to configure the ability to give thanks for the registered user group for every forum. It would be good if this could be configured at the user group permission level as well. This way, you could set group forum permissions for private sections as "never" for example, just like read/write access.

For guest user group permissions, you can set the ability to see the topmost as "never" but they can still see the toplist in the index. Only, the topmost only consists of thanks from posts guests can see (and does not include counters from sections for registered users only). This makes sense so that permissions for registered user only sections aren't broken. For that reason, I'd like the hide the top list and user thanks list from guests altogether - but it doesn't seem I can do that. Or can I? I only want guests to see thanks for individual posts they can see.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
Naguissa

Post by Naguissa »

KYPREO wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 pm Thank you very much Naguissa for the hard work.

I have managed to install the updated package, it's working correctly, and I've updated the language files to turn this into a 'like' system for my board.

At first, I noticed a massive performance hit - 10+ second server hangs which I didn't have before. This seems to have settled down, so hopefully it was a temporary phenomenon on installation or just a coincidence and Google bots started crawling me on mass. I do have a very big board - 33K users and 1.9M posts

It is good that the ability to give thanks can be set in group forum permissions. However, for me, because I did not have standard roles defined, I had to configure the ability to give thanks for the registered user group for every forum. It would be good if this could be configured at the user group permission level as well. This way, you could set group forum permissions for private sections as "never" for example, just like read/write access.

For guest user group permissions, you can set the ability to see the topmost as "never" but they can still see the toplist in the index. Only, the topmost only consists of thanks from posts guests can see (and does not include counters from sections for registered users only). This makes sense so that permissions for registered user only sections aren't broken. For that reason, I'd like the hide the top list and user thanks list from guests altogether - but it doesn't seem I can do that. Or can I? I only want guests to see thanks for individual posts they can see.
About performance, any extension adds a bit of performance hit. It can be tuned disabling certain options, as it disables extra code. But a 10% is too much; maybe you noticed that because cache invalidation, as cache is wiped after installing an extension or changing any configuration (including phpbb ones). And that makes sense, as because forum has changed you cannot rely on old cached data. After cache refreshes you see performance boots.

About permission, I don't fully understand all cases you meant.

The thing about guests: You can disable it in Permissions --> Groups --> Guest --> Various but it diesn't affect to home page. I'll try to solve it ASAP.
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Thanks.

Yes the cache did need to be purged a few times to get this to work - initially through the CLI. Seems to be working a bit better now, so I think you may be right. I have a self-managed VPS with plenty of CPU and RAM, which wasn't really being pushed at the time.

Yes, I found all the permission settings, but no matter what I do, guests can see the top list on the index page. This will show incorrect totals because it will exclude thanks for posts that guests cannot see. Guests CANNOT see the actual top list page / thanks list page, which I think is correct behaviour. Only the index page cannot be controlled through permissions.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
Bumblebee2018

Post by Bumblebee2018 »

Sorry - ignore this!
Naguissa

Post by Naguissa »

Bumblebee2018 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 pm Sorry - ignore this!
What could it be... :lol:
jackennils

Post by jackennils »

Hey there, I noticed something that is a bit weird...

When a user gets a Thanks for an older post for which he/she already got some Thanks, the notification also has the old date. So if the user got a few other notifications in the meantime, the new notification is just an update of the old one with the old date and hence is at the bottom of the notification list. Any chance to fix this behavior?
Naguissa

Post by Naguissa »

jackennils wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:08 pm Hey there, I noticed something that is a bit weird...

When a user gets a Thanks for an older post for which he/she already got some Thanks, the notification also has the old date. So if the user got a few other notifications in the meantime, the new notification is just an update of the old one with the old date and hence is at the bottom of the notification list. Any chance to fix this behavior?
Yes, quite easy. It's because not updating date when "joining" events. I'll include thi among some other updates on next release (very soon).

Return to “Extensions in Development”