[3.1][3.2][RC] Top Poster Of The Month (reloaded)

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
bug-i

Re: [3.1][3.2][RC] Top Poster Of The Month (reloaded)

Post by bug-i » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am

I just switched back to PHP7.0 and 5.6, the problem is still there, so thats not the reason..

I have probably another bug: The time in the calculation seems to be a bit weird: Why starting at 2:00 (probably UTC-time from the server?) and ending at 00:59?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 pm

bug-i wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am
Why starting at 2:00 (probably UTC-time from the server?) and ending at 00:59?
You are in europe? DST ends on last sunday of October, so the full month is one hour shorter. If you check it again after DST has ended (Oct. 30. or 31.), the time should be 1:59 ;)
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
no support via PM or mail

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 pm

bug-i wrote:
I just switched back to PHP7.0 and 5.6, the problem is still there, so thats not the reason..

I have probably another bug: The time in the calculation seems to be a bit weird: Why starting at 2:00 (probably UTC-time from the server?) and ending at 00:59?

https://image.ibb.co/dBtYFb/2017_10_03_12_07_56.png
I guess you did select a wrong date() constraint in your UCP Board's Prefs.
See above post of canonknipser. ;)

The formatted date result is being served on a per user basis based on thier prefs and it is irrilevant since the code goes itself on UTC anyway. So if you are in a UTC+2 zone (DST) it takes care of it and the change happens at your timestamp precisely at the last second (I tried and are years that that code (since 2005) is doing its job). For example if you set to UTC (0) your prefs, you will see the exact timestamps the logic use to work behind the scene.
Last edited by 3Di on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

3Di

Post by 3Di » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 pm

bug-i wrote:
Correct, I see.
Confirmed there is that glitch with cache enabled, still. :x W.I.P.

bug-i

Post by bug-i » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:55 am

3Di wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 pm
bug-i wrote:

https://image.ibb.co/dBtYFb/2017_10_03_12_07_56.png
I guess you did select a wrong date() constraint in your UCP Board's Prefs.
See above post of canonknipser. ;)

The formatted date result is being served on a per user basis based on thier prefs and it is irrilevant since the code goes itself on UTC anyway. So if you are in a UTC+2 zone (DST) it takes care of it and the change happens at your timestamp precisely at the last second (I tried and are years that that code (since 2005) is doing its job). For example if you set to UTC (0) your prefs, you will see the exact timestamps the logic use to work behind the scene.
Ah, now I understand. The 1hour difference is related to ending of DST and as the code runs on UTC the start is 2:00 in my time zone and not 0:00 in my time zone.

Suggesstion for a later version: Code not running in UTC, better in the timezone specified in ACP - Board Settings - "timezone for guests". But thats not that important for me as I am sitting just 2 hours from UTC, but for someone +/-10h or more away its alsmost half a day :P

Anyway, right now better focus at fixing the caching bug :mrgreen:

3Di

Post by 3Di » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:57 am

bug-i wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:55 am
Suggesstion for a later version: Code not running in UTC, better in the timezone specified in ACP - Board Settings - "timezone for guests".
:? That timezone as per default is UTC as well.
bug-i wrote:
The formatted date result is being served on a per user basis based on thier prefs and it is irrilevant since the code goes itself on UTC
.. and must be this way IMHO.
bug-i wrote:
But thats not that important for me as I am sitting just 2 hours from UTC, but for someone +/-10h or more away its alsmost half a day
Again, if you - the user - select UTC in your board's timezone prefs you will read that tooltip as UTC, in your case -2 hours (DST) but in any case the start of the new month happens at your exact timezone (real life) in your case +2 DST or in the worse case at your server's timezone which I hope is correctly sat. That's for consistency.

If you are bound to ask for another feature like ACP selectable user format date for the tooltips, you are welcome to file such request here: https://github.com/3D-I/tpotm/issues

Thx. :)

bug-i

Post by bug-i » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 am

Ok, now we are at the same page. I understood that the code is running with the correct timezone, and the tooltip itself is also correct and displays the time in UTC, no matter which timezone the user has selected.

I was confused (and so will every other user be) as the board says at the buttom right: "All times are UTC+02:00", so I thought also the TPOTM-tooltip is UTC+2, which is not true - as it is UTC!

So IMHO you should add to the tooltip "UCT-Time", or recalculate the tooltip (only the tooltip, not the code) to the timezone selected in UCP (which I would prefer for consitancy - so all times are displayed the same way)

Sorry for beeing that awkward, I just want to help and improve your extension 8-) - I'll open a request at github ;)

3Di

Post by 3Di » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 am

What about if a Board is multi timezone?
Like users from everywhere each one using its own board's preferences?
No, that could be a extra UCP option (not sure if there is an event already though) not a ACP one.
Each user should be free to watch the board based on it's own preferences, the result doesn't change.
bug-i wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 am
or recalculate the tooltip (only the tooltip, not the code) to the timezone selected in UCP (which I would prefer for consitancy -
Seems like you are not getting that it's already this way, a phpbb function does it on a per user's basis prefs in UCP. Try change yours and you will see.

it's only cosmethical, the code goes as it should in any case.

Thx for feedback you know.

bug-i

Post by bug-i » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 am

3Di wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 am
What about if a Board is multi timezone? Like users from everywhere each one using its own board's preferences?
I was thinking of adjusting the tooltip-timezone according to the UCP-option, not ACP-option. The board adjusts to / displays right now also the timezone which each user selected in UCP. (Yes, there is a option for that in UCP) :)

And yes, Its just cosmetic.. :D

3Di

Post by 3Di » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:40 am

I know, I mean I don't know if there is a PHP event in the phpBB's core code I could hook in order to add an option in there, no way to code a full UCP new module for just one option. Too much of work for almost nothing.

If exists no probs.

3Di

Post by 3Di » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:05 am

v1.1.0-rc6 released. See first 3 posts.

Changes Log since v1.1.0-rc5

º BUG: data not synchronized while the cache is ON.
º BUG: DAE's compatibility
º BUG: image check-in in acp/tpotm_module.php
º BUG: image check-in in acp/core
º BUG: default TPOTM's avatar conditional
º Style: move inline style to CSS for fa-icon in viewtopic
º Style: move inline style to a CSS class for index/hall
º Style: CSS consistency for 3.1.11
º Task: Changed subscribed phpBB's core event (main)
º Task: Language: code consistency
º Task: remove unused code
º Task: tuning phpbb_get_avatar in controller/main.php
º Task: Array short syntax 1
º Task: Comments and newlines
º Task: House-keeping
º Raise version number to v1.1.0-RC6
º Raise PHP version to >= 5.4.0

Update Extension: disable / delete data & files / upload new files / re-enable

3Di

Post by 3Di » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 am

bug-i wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 am
3Di wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 am
What about if a Board is multi timezone? Like users from everywhere each one using its own board's preferences?
I was thinking of adjusting the tooltip-timezone according to the UCP-option, not ACP-option. The board adjusts to / displays right now also the timezone which each user selected in UCP. (Yes, there is a option for that in UCP) :)

https://preview.ibb.co/eeNG5b/2017_10_0 ... lungen.png

And yes, Its just cosmetic.. :D
I got the event, like this first skeleton?
-

bug-i

Post by bug-i » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:56 pm

I like your draft ;) Nevertheless I still think, that an explicit option is not necessary - I think that generally changing to display the tooltip in the selected timezone from UCP is enough. I really cant imagine that someone wants to have the tooltip in UTC, while all other times are displayed in the UCP selected timezone. But thats up to you, another option is of course fine too :D (but you have to think which option you offer as standard [I would prefer not UTC as standard]

----

I installed your latest master (I know its still not finished) and It looks good. Avatars are fixed and displayed fine, but calculation is now broken in another way (now TPOTM is the user with the latest posting :) not the one with the most posts in this month)

-----

Sugesstion for another improvement (just say if I should open an issue at github)

If hall of fame is activated in the UCP, it would be nice to link directly to the hall of fame from "TOP POSTER OF THE MONTH at the index/main page. Similar "Who is online".

3Di

Post by 3Di » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:47 pm

bug-i wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:56 pm
I like your draft ;) Nevertheless I still think, that an explicit option is not necessary - I think that generally changing to display the tooltip in the selected timezone from UCP is enough. I really cant imagine that someone wants to have the tooltip in UTC, while all other times are displayed in the UCP selected timezone. But thats up to you, another option is of course fine too :D (but you have to think which option you offer as standard [I would prefer not UTC as standard]
That's incredibile, seriously.. did you recall of your posting here?
You posted a whole page or two asking for this option, also you opened a feature request at github.
Now that is finished you are telling me "that's up on you", don't you think my time could be invested on other stuffs instead of wasting it for a stuff I didn't like to begin with?
bug-i wrote:
I installed your latest master (I know its still not finished) and It looks good. Avatars are fixed and displayed fine, but calculation is now broken in another way (now TPOTM is the user with the latest posting :) not the one with the most posts in this month)
No need to install the master since is IDENTICAL at the version I released here:
viewtopic.php?p=14840721#p14840721

Plus I stated in the first post "no support for github".

Ok I will move the development to a private repo.
Keine andere alternative.
bug-i wrote:
Sugesstion for another improvement (just say if I should open an issue at github)

If hall of fame is activated in the UCP, it would be nice to link directly to the hall of fame from "TOP POSTER OF THE MONTH at the index/main page. Similar "Who is online".
No new feature request will be accepted, that's RC. Time to focus on submit. :) :geek:

Have a nice day.

3Di

Post by 3Di » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:25 am

TPOTM 2.0.0-rc1 release. See first posts.

Changes Log since v1.1.0-rc6

º BUG: the TPOTM was the last poster despite of the number of posts made between the timegap
º FEATURE: UCP/board prefs/global settings, option date format UTC+00:00 for tooltips
º FEATURE: Hall of fame's hyperlink on statistics if activated.
º Task: House-keeping
º Raised version's number to v2.0.0-rc1 (features frozen - ready for CDB)

Update Extension: disable / delete data & files / upload new files / re-enable

Return to “Extensions in Development”