[ABD] Remind username

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
BadBlock

[ABD] Remind username

Post by BadBlock »

Extension Name: Remind username
Author: BadBlock

Extension Description: Send password reminder by usename OR email address, rather than AND.
This helps users who forgot their username or email address to get back to the forum.
The extension does nothing ("disables" itself) if email addresses are allowed to be re-used (more than one username may use the same email address). In this case users will have to enter both username and email address to receive password reminder.

Extension Version: 1.0.1

Developed against phpBB 3.2.1

Extension Download: http://files.sarov.info/2018/badblock-r ... -1.0.1.zip

Screenshot (click to enlarge):

Last edited by BadBlock on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
BadBlock

Re: [BETA] Remind username

Post by BadBlock »

What is does on password remind:

- If email addresses are allowed to be re-used: does nothing (password remind works as usual).
- If both username and email address were entered: does nothing (password remind works as usual).
Otherwise:
- If username was entered: recovers password by username.
- If username is empty, but email address was entered: recovers password by email address (username will also be recovered, as it's present in the password recovery email).

Developed against 3.2.1, may also work on 3.1.11-RC1 and above (that's when the event used by the extension was introduced in phpBB). However, the extension has not been tested on phpBB 3.1.

- Unzip the archive in the ext/ folder, so that composer.json is located as
{phpBB root}/ext/badblock/remindusername/composer.json
- Enable the extension in ACP.
Last edited by BadBlock on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Hello,

On composer.json file:
"phpbb/phpbb": ">=3.2.0," (line 24)
and...
"php": ">=5.3.3", (line 18)
You must PHP version to 5.4 for phpBB 3.2.x version.

Best regards. ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

NastyBoy
Name: Tim

Post by NastyBoy »

can you post some Screenshots?
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Nice to see someone jumping on this one after much demand!

Keep up the good work!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

NastyBoy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:07 pm can you post some Screenshots?
There are no visual changes. From user''s perspective all works as usual, except for when user enters either username or email, the forum sends the password reminder email (instead of throwing an error).
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

The extension has now been updated to 1.0.1.

Change: modified the EMAIL_REMIND language string to advise the user that they can enter either username or email address.

composer.json updated to require PHP 5.4.

Download link updated, also added a screenshot to the first post above.
NastyBoy
Name: Tim

Post by NastyBoy »

If a user has forgotten his username, then there will be an email with the name and the password
Tarantino

Post by Tarantino »

What happens if I enter an email address only, and I've more then 1 account created with that email? (With the re-use email enabled at acp) ?

If you didnt think about that, then I guess in that case, you should need to verify the number of accounts that use inserted email and if it is greater than 1, enforce the user to insert username as well.
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

Tarantino wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 am What happens if I enter an email address only, and I've more then 1 account created with that email?
From the description above:
"The extension does nothing ("disables" itself) if email addresses are allowed to be re-used (more than one username may use the same email address)."
This means that if email re-use is enabled, password remind works as usual, i. e. users always have to enter both username and email address.
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

Extension updated to fix failure, in rare cases, with certain usernames (two lines amended in event/main_listener,php).
Download link updated.

To update it in your forum, just overwrite the extension with the contents of the zip archive.
david63

Post by david63 »

BadBlock wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am To update it in your forum, just overwrite the extension with the contents of the zip archive.
Can I just point out that that is not the correct way to update an extension. The extension should be disabled first, then the new files uploaded and then the extension re-enabled. Just overwriting files for an enabled extension can break your board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

david63 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:11 am
BadBlock wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am To update it in your forum, just overwrite the extension with the contents of the zip archive.
Can I just point out that that is not the correct way to update an extension. The extension should be disabled first, then the new files uploaded and then the extension re-enabled. Just overwriting files for an enabled extension can break your board.
In this particular case (just a minor amendment to code, no version update, no upgrade required), it's ok.
david63

Post by david63 »

BadBlock wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 am In this particular case (just a minor amendment to code, no version update, no upgrade required), it's ok.
Sorry to disagree but it is bad practice and if a user was to upload a corrupt file then anything can happen - believe me I have been there (when developing/testing)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
phil_h
Name: phil harris

Post by phil_h »

BadBlock wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 am In this particular case (just a minor amendment to code, no version update, no upgrade required), it's ok.
Wah !
Please never do that again !
If you have accidentally made some other change eg to your _build_ not code, then you are going to waste your own time working that out... and seriously annoy your _customers_ - yes they're not _just_ users but people that you want to appreciate your effort. (And we usually do)
I'm a retired, multi-language, multi-platform developer with 30 years experience, please believe me, there's no such thing as a 'small change'.

Now, I'm only here because I need exactly this kind of feature to stop lots of my users wasting my time finding out their usernames for them.
This is a much-needed feature and should be included as standard, so thank you very much for developing it and I'll be putting it onto a live board with 1000 users.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”