[3.2][3.3][BETA] Advanced Polls

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
BBBenj
Name: Benjamin

Re: [3.2][3.3][BETA] Advanced Polls

Post by BBBenj »

Hi!

First of all, thanks for your wonderful achievment, it's amazing. And happy new year!

I'd like to know if it comes from me, but what ever number of colours I have in my .css, it only shows 2 colours in the poll bars, even if I have more than 2 poll options.

I tested in Prosilver and Progamer style, as well as my forked element style, the 2 later offer 5 possible colours.

Code: Select all

.pollbar1 {
	background-color: #df5f7d;
	border-bottom-color: #ad2d4b;
	border-right-color: #ad2d4b;
}
.rtl .pollbar1 {
	border-left-color: #ad2d4b;
}
.pollbar2 {
	background-color: #982f7c;
	border-bottom-color: #630048;
	border-right-color: #630048;
}
.rtl .pollbar2 {
	border-left-color: #630048;
}
.pollbar3 {
	background-color: #feb34a;
	border-bottom-color: #cd8218;
	border-right-color: #cd8218;
}
.rtl .pollbar3 {
	border-left-color: #cd8218;
}
.pollbar4 {
	background-color: #3875d7;
	border-bottom-color: #0643a5;
	border-right-color: #0643a5;
}
.rtl .pollbar4 {
	border-left-color: #0643a5;
}
.pollbar5 {
	background-color: #5ec8bd;
	border-bottom-color: #2c968b;
	border-right-color: #2c968b;
}
.rtl .pollbar5 {
	border-left-color: #2c968b;
}
What should I do, please?

phpBB 3.3.5
PHP 7.3
And sorry for my english...
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

Prosilver style uses those colours to indicate the percentage of votes: pollvar1 for less than 20%, pollvar2 for less than 40% and so on (as coded in file template/viewtopic_body.html). Advanced Poll does not make changes to those styles or the calculation of the percentage, but maybe that calculation loses its meaning with the ability that offers this extension to vote more than one option and with a maximum number of votes. For example, in a poll with 4 options and a maximum of 5 votes for option, the results could be 29%, 26%, 24% and 21%. All of them would be coloured with pollbar2 style because they are between 20% and 40%.
BBBenj

Post by BBBenj »

OK! Now I understand. It's pretty clear. Thanks.

Therefore, it's possible to create more categories with different colors. A bit harsh, but possible. But it won't be a poll, but a rainbow!! Not necessary a good idea.

An idea could be to modify these percentages, like 12.5, 25, 37.5 and 50, as only one can go as high as 50% (may be in some banana republic :lol: ). I'll give a try.
BBBenj

Post by BBBenj »

I tried and it's fine for me.

I just have a problem with the colours which don't update as they should: the page needs at least an F5 to show colours accordingly to the percentage.

If you have an idea...
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

Hello @Jasolo,

I wanted to thank you for taking care of this wonderful phpbb addon. We have been using it on our forum for years.
I would have a request to address an error that is occurring, certainly not because of the addon itself, as it has to do with using Tapatalk.

If we set the options in the poll to keep the results hidden until the poll is completed, it works as expected when accessed through the forum. However, if we use Tapatalk, the actual poll results are visible as soon as the vote is cast (no matter if you voted via Tapatalk or via the forum).

It seems that TT doesn't know, or doesn't take into account, that the results shouldn't be visible until the end date of the poll.

Steps to reproduce:
1. create a poll
2. check the "hide results until survey ends" option.
3. set end date in the future
4) Cast your vote via browser or TT
5 All current poll results are visible in TT even though the poll completion time has not been reached.

I would appreciate if you could address this issue.
Let me also post a relevant thread in the TT forum, perhaps that will help.

Thanks and best regards!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

testingmro wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am Let me also post a relevant thread in the TT forum, perhaps that will help.
TT isn't extension made by phpBB, nor has it been validated by phpBB (and there are quite a few mentions of problems with the extension).
As such it's a "use at your own risk" and support should be sought at TT itself as that's were the people who made the extension reside.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

Hello Warmweer
I am aware of this fact.
My post is just a polite request to the current maintainer of Advanced Pools. He may be able to resolve this issue on his side.
I have also reported to TT.
david63

Post by david63 »

testingmro wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:17 am My post is just a polite request to the current maintainer of Advanced Pools. He may be able to resolve this issue on his side.
On the basis that TapaTalk does not conform, in many ways, to phpBB extension, or other coding, standards I would not alter any extension to cater for it. In fact I have extensions that I prevent from being installed if TapaTalk is present.

Basically do not use TapaTalk if you want to use extensions
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

I'm not sure this is the right path to take....
I've written my thoughts elsewhere, I'm sure you'll see them :-)
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

I do not use Tapatalk, but it is installed in my forums. In the Tapatalk settings in ACP you can assign a specific group to its users, so maybe the permissions of that group are the cause (check them at 'Group forum permissions').
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

I dont think so...
There is no permission, that you can assign in groups, that would allow you to see pool results before it ends..
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

In ACP check the group that assigns Tapatalk to its users. Then go to ACP -> PERMISSIONS -> Group forum permissions. Select the TT group and then a forum with polls. Change "Select Type" to "Moderative Permissions" and press Go. Click "Advanced Permissions" and check the tab Misc. The setting "Can view poll voters" should be "No".
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

Is set to "No".
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

That permission is required to see the info button that shows the hidden info to the admins. If you see that info with Tapatalk, but not the info button, maybe Tapatalk is bypassing Advanced Polls extension to some extent. In that case TT code would be based on the original phpBB poll system and wouldn't take any extension into account. The only way to coexist with TT as it is would be to hide the forums with polls to the app ("Hide Forums" setting in ACP) and thus force users to access through a browser.
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

That is my plan B :-)

Return to “Extensions in Development”