[3.2][3.3][RC] Highlight Posts ⚡️

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: [3.2][RC] Highlight Posts

Post by 3Di »

Hi Prof, thanks for your valuable feedback and support, not to mention the kind words about our work.

Discussion started. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
mrgoldy
Former Team Member
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy »

I think the main 'problem' is that it's always hard to know why a student marked a post as read.
Is it cause he scrolled, partially read it and marked it. Is it cause he/she truly read it and thinks the post is useful? Or does he/she just want to show up in the 'I have read this post'-list.
Therefore it's hard to put a 'weight' on a post. This will (in my opinion) not solve much. Because if the 'weight' (or importance) of a post is visible, they will only mark the important/heavy posts. If it's not visible, it's hard to get any additional information from it. Besides the fact that it might not be too fair towards the students.

The first thing that comes to my mind, is to only show the 'highlight' (the text added by a professor [in this case you]) when the post has been marked read. So students have to read through a topic, mark posts and if they also marked the posts you found useful and important, they get the additional information provided by you (the professor) why this post in particular is very useful. Perhaps with additional information regardidng the subjected provided in the highlight text.

I completely agree with the fact that we can provide more detailed information on a per-user (student) basis as to what posts they have marked read. The way I envision that, is going to a user's profile and click on a 'view what this user has read'-link. And then on a per forum, per topic basis show how many posts have been marked read.

Example:
posey's read list:
  • Forum 1 - Marked posts in 10 out of 11 topics
    • Topic title 1
      • Marked 6 out of 15 posts
      • Marked 2 out of 4 highlighted posts
    • Topic title 2: Marked 0 out of 21 posts
    • etc..
  • Forum 2 - Marked posts in 1 out of 25 topics
  • Forum 3 - Marked posts in 54 out of 61 topics
I'm not including the actual posts text in this list, cause it will become a rather long list and I am guessing (and of course could be wrong here) that it's more about the 'general overview' of what forums and topics the user has shown interest in than the actual content. But once again, it's also possible to provide a list of actual posts that have been marked.

It's also possible to provide a 'top markers'-list per forum and per topic, if that's something you're interesting in aswell.
And I know you also work on a per 'group' basis, that's something we can look into aswell eventhough I'm not too sure how that would look like at this point in time. Not a clear vision on it at the moment.

Cheers, posey
phpBB Studio / Member of the Studio

Contributing: You can do it too! Including testing Pull Requests (PR).
phpBB Development and Testing made easy.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Yeah, and some more ideas will be probably put on the table during the discussion. Awaiting... :)
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

Hey 3Di,

I have a question for you. This may sound odd, but I would like to change the icon colors for the Mark As Read "eye" icon. So I would like to change all the eye icons to green. Then when a user clicks on the green "eye" icon, it will turn red. Can you tell me how I can make that modification? Thank you!
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Last edited by 3Di on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
profKroy

Post by profKroy »

3Di wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 am
profKroy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 am Hey 3Di,

I have a question for you. This may sound odd, but I would like to change the icon colors for the Mark As Read "eye" icon. So I would like to change all the eye icons to green. Then when a user clicks on the green "eye" icon, it will turn red. Can you tell me how I can make that modification? Thank you!
:)

Open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/js/hlposts.js

find

Code: Select all

$iconBack2Top.replaceWith('<span class="top hlposts-margin-fix" title="' + langNewTitle + '"><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i></span>');
replace with

$iconBack2Top.replaceWith('<span class="top hlposts-margin-fix" title="' + langNewTitle + '"><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i></span>');
find

$iconPostingButton.replaceWith('<button class="button-icon-only highlight-view" title="' + langNewTitle + '" name="marked_read_' + postId + '" disabled><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw" style="color: #4db355 !important;" aria-hidden="true"></i> <span>' + langNewTitle + '</span></button>');
replace with

$iconPostingButton.replaceWith('<button class="button-icon-only highlight-view" title="' + langNewTitle + '" name="marked_read_' + postId + '" disabled><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw" style="color: #d41142 !important;" aria-hidden="true"></i> <span>' + langNewTitle + '</span></button>');
------------------------

open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/events/viewtopic_body_postrow_back2top_append.html

find

<i class="icon fa-eye-slash fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i>
replace with

<i class="icon fa-eye-slash fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i>
---------------------

open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/events/viewtopic_body_post_buttons_before.html

find

<i class="icon fa-eye-slash fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i>
replace with

<i class="icon fa-eye-slash fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i>
Purge the cache then.
Awesome, I was in the ballpark but thanks for the details. Very informative, thanks again.
Using phpBB extensively to teach online courses. Always looking for extensions geared towards helping students.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

You're welcome :)
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

profKroy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:09 am Awesome, I was in the ballpark but thanks for the details. Very informative, thanks again.
Thanks to your feedback I noticed where the glitch was within the above instructions, here we go with the right codechanges.

https://github.com/phpBB-Studio/Highlig ... c090d4bcb0
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Released v2.0.2-RC, see first post.

Changelog: Here we go!
3Di
I've Been Banned!

[3.2][RC] Highlight Posts

Post by 3Di »

New release v2.0.3-rc available, see first post.

What's new?
A new permission has been added
- Can see the eye icon
which allows you to chose who can see and use the icon FA 👁

By default nothing changed, you will use it at your pleasure once updated.
To update:
Disable the extension
Do NOT delete data
Delete the `threedi/hlposts` folder
Upload the download to `threedi/hlposts`
Enable the extension
The go to permissions and see what you want to do.

Tip: if you chose No for the icon FA 👁
you should also set to No the `Can mark posts as read` permission.

nou nou

Post by nou nou »

3Di wrote:equal or greater than 3.2.1 but less than 3.3.0-dev
Just a quick question here - what is it that would make this extension not work with 3.3?

Reason that I'm asking is that it's a fairly significant extension in the sense that it really changes how people interact with posts and adds a LOT of functionality. I like the ideas here, it's really great!

But with an eye on a future where PHP 7.3 support will be a requirement for phpBB, I'm hesitant to invest a lot of time into incorporating it into a forum and getting people used to it, and I wonder what the odds are that this extension can no longer be used as is (I'm not asking if you're planning to develop it further)?

Or should any changes be trivial?

Or is it too early to say? :)

Thanks!
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Extension's development started in 2017 (published in Feb 2018), that's a remain of those times.

It should perfectly work on 3.3 as well, quite sure.

Next release we will raise the max. requirements.
nou nou wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pmI'm not asking if you're planning to develop it further?
Sure thing, this is a paid extension kindly shared by our patreon who has made this possible.
Heavily used in a school btw. :)

WIKI updated: https://github.com/phpBB-Studio/HighlightPosts/wiki
nou nou

Post by nou nou »

Thanks! Well that changes things a little bit, and for the better... :)
3Di wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm Sure thing, this is a paid extension kindly shared by our patreon who has made this possible.
Heavily used in a school btw. :)
That's tremendously generous! Thanks very much to your patreon (as well as yourselves)!

Cheers
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

nou nou wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:55 pm That's tremendously generous! Thanks very much to your patreon (as well as yourselves)!
Many of our extensions are public thanks to the co-operation of our patreons.
We are very pleased about that. :)
Erwan11

Post by Erwan11 »

Hello 3Di,

Sorry for my English. :)
3Di wrote:It should perfectly work on 3.3 as well, quite sure.
I fear that's not the case. I just installed this extension on my phpBB 3.3 forum. Firstly, I had to modify composer.json and ext.php so that the extension matches my version of phpBB, otherwise I couldn't enable it.

Once I had enabled the extension and set the permissions, I couldn't see the extra icons on my messsages. I mean, no more icons than usual.

Any fix? Thanks in advance!

Return to “Extensions in Development”