[3.2][RC] Highlight Posts

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
3Di
Name: Marco

Re: [3.2][RC] Highlight Posts

Post by 3Di » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi Prof, thanks for your valuable feedback and support, not to mention the kind words about our work.

Discussion started. ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate

:game_die: The new Dice Roller extension for phpBB 3.2 is out! :game_die:

Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

posey
Name: Gijs

Post by posey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:37 pm

I think the main 'problem' is that it's always hard to know why a student marked a post as read.
Is it cause he scrolled, partially read it and marked it. Is it cause he/she truly read it and thinks the post is useful? Or does he/she just want to show up in the 'I have read this post'-list.
Therefore it's hard to put a 'weight' on a post. This will (in my opinion) not solve much. Because if the 'weight' (or importance) of a post is visible, they will only mark the important/heavy posts. If it's not visible, it's hard to get any additional information from it. Besides the fact that it might not be too fair towards the students.

The first thing that comes to my mind, is to only show the 'highlight' (the text added by a professor [in this case you]) when the post has been marked read. So students have to read through a topic, mark posts and if they also marked the posts you found useful and important, they get the additional information provided by you (the professor) why this post in particular is very useful. Perhaps with additional information regardidng the subjected provided in the highlight text.

I completely agree with the fact that we can provide more detailed information on a per-user (student) basis as to what posts they have marked read. The way I envision that, is going to a user's profile and click on a 'view what this user has read'-link. And then on a per forum, per topic basis show how many posts have been marked read.

Example:
posey's read list:
  • Forum 1 - Marked posts in 10 out of 11 topics
    • Topic title 1
      • Marked 6 out of 15 posts
      • Marked 2 out of 4 highlighted posts
    • Topic title 2: Marked 0 out of 21 posts
    • etc..
  • Forum 2 - Marked posts in 1 out of 25 topics
  • Forum 3 - Marked posts in 54 out of 61 topics
I'm not including the actual posts text in this list, cause it will become a rather long list and I am guessing (and of course could be wrong here) that it's more about the 'general overview' of what forums and topics the user has shown interest in than the actual content. But once again, it's also possible to provide a list of actual posts that have been marked.

It's also possible to provide a 'top markers'-list per forum and per topic, if that's something you're interesting in aswell.
And I know you also work on a per 'group' basis, that's something we can look into aswell eventhough I'm not too sure how that would look like at this point in time. Not a clear vision on it at the moment.

Cheers, posey
''I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.''

3Di

Post by 3Di » Mon May 07, 2018 1:34 am

Yeah, and some more ideas will be probably put on the table during the discussion. Awaiting... :)

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 am

Hey 3Di,

I have a question for you. This may sound odd, but I would like to change the icon colors for the Mark As Read "eye" icon. So I would like to change all the eye icons to green. Then when a user clicks on the green "eye" icon, it will turn red. Can you tell me how I can make that modification? Thank you!
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

3Di

Post by 3Di » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 am

profKroy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 am
Hey 3Di,

I have a question for you. This may sound odd, but I would like to change the icon colors for the Mark As Read "eye" icon. So I would like to change all the eye icons to green. Then when a user clicks on the green "eye" icon, it will turn red. Can you tell me how I can make that modification? Thank you!
:)

Open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/js/hlposts.js

find

Code: Select all

$iconBack2Top.replaceWith('<span class="top hlposts-margin-fix" title="' + langNewTitle + '"><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i></span>');
replace with

$iconBack2Top.replaceWith('<span class="top hlposts-margin-fix" title="' + langNewTitle + '"><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i></span>');
find

$iconPostingButton.replaceWith('<button class="button-icon-only highlight-view" title="' + langNewTitle + '" name="marked_read_' + postId + '" disabled><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw" style="color: #4db355 !important;" aria-hidden="true"></i> <span>' + langNewTitle + '</span></button>');
replace with

$iconPostingButton.replaceWith('<button class="button-icon-only highlight-view" title="' + langNewTitle + '" name="marked_read_' + postId + '" disabled><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw" style="color: #d41142 !important;" aria-hidden="true"></i> <span>' + langNewTitle + '</span></button>');
------------------------

open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/events/viewtopic_body_postrow_back2top_append.html

find

<i class="icon fa-eye-slash fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i>
replace with

<i class="icon fa-eye-slash fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i>
---------------------

open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/events/viewtopic_body_post_buttons_before.html

find

replace with

Purge the cache then.

profKroy

Post by profKroy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:09 am

3Di wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 am
profKroy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 am
Hey 3Di,

:)

Open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/js/hlposts.js

find

$iconBack2Top.replaceWith('<span class="top hlposts-margin-fix" title="' + langNewTitle + '"><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i></span>');
replace with

$iconBack2Top.replaceWith('<span class="top hlposts-margin-fix" title="' + langNewTitle + '"><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i></span>');
find

$iconPostingButton.replaceWith('<button class="button-icon-only highlight-view" title="' + langNewTitle + '" name="marked_read_' + postId + '" disabled><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw" style="color: #4db355 !important;" aria-hidden="true"></i> <span>' + langNewTitle + '</span></button>');
replace with

$iconPostingButton.replaceWith('<button class="button-icon-only highlight-view" title="' + langNewTitle + '" name="marked_read_' + postId + '" disabled><i class="icon fa-eye fa-fw" style="color: #d41142 !important;" aria-hidden="true"></i> <span>' + langNewTitle + '</span></button>');
------------------------

open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/events/viewtopic_body_postrow_back2top_append.html

find

replace with

---------------------

open
ext/threedi/hlposts/styles/all/template/events/viewtopic_body_post_buttons_before.html

find

replace with

Purge the cache then.
Awesome, I was in the ballpark but thanks for the details. Very informative, thanks again.
Are you a skilled extension developer? I need an extension developed right now. Here are the general specs. Please PM me if interested.

3Di

Post by 3Di » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:15 am

You're welcome :)

Return to “Extensions in Development”