[3.2][BETA] Show Topic Starter

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
martti

Re: [3.2][BETA] Show Topic Starter

Post by martti »

martti wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm
remoss wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:23 pm It's really this one: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_author/
I see. it's a newer version, 1.0.4 instead of 1.0.2 in the CDB.

Link to the repo in Github: https://github.com/dmzx/Topic-Author
In contrast, this extension "Show Topic Starter" will stay simple without any settings in the ACP nor provide styling from itself, and just show the string "Topic Starter" (or a translation) in it's own <div> element in viewtopic_body_post_author_before.
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

martti wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am
david63 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 am How does this differ from - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_author/
Ok, I didn't know about that one. Also the feature requester didn't see it. ...
I did find Topic Author, but I did not understand the description:
phpBB extension that will add Topic Author to viewtopic.
If the description was stated differently, for example "Adds "Topic Author" to the post of the member who started the topic.", I would have used the extension. Also, "Topic Author" implies starting a topic. "Topic Starter" states the purpose directly.
martti wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am Observed differences:
  • This ext uses another template event. This uses viewtopic_body_post_author_before. The other uses viewtopic_body_avatar_after
  • This ext is only phpBB 3.2 PHP7, the other phpBB 3.1, 3.2 PHP5&7
  • This ext is Bèta, the other CDB
  • This ext is only in Prosilver style (for now, more or "all" might be add. It's not final yet), the other "all"
  • This ext says "Topic Starter", the other "Topic author"
  • This ext is only in English (for now), the other has also Polish and Russian translations.
  • This ext does not do styling itself, but provides a selector class marttiphpbb-showtopicstarter (it's so verbose to easily recognise the origin.) The other one does inline styling to turn the text-color red. <strong style="color: #FF0000;">{L_TOPIC_AUTHOR}</strong>
  • The other extension adds a <br/> (line break) before the string. This extension does not do that.
  • This extension places the string in it's own <div> after <div class="avatar-container">...</div>. The other extension is inside <div class="avatar-container"> ... </div>, but closes it with </div> and then opens it's own <div> and uses then the closing </div> of the avatar-container. It might be cause of conflict if another extension uses the same template event expecting to be inside <div class="avatar-container">...</div>.
  • This extension sends less data over the wire (even with the long classname) than the other. The other extension injects this html comment in every post:

Code: Select all

<!--
    * @package Topic Author
    * @author dmzx (www.dmzx-web.net)
    * @copyright (c) 2014 by dmzx (www.dmzx-web.net)
    * @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License
    -->
I have installed the extension on my localhost test environment. I have phpBB 3.2.2, PHP 7.1, and the Prosilver style. My board is English with the American English language pack.

I have tested the extension with desktop and mobile (responsive mode), with an avatar and without an avatar. It works perfectly.

Do I need to add language/en_us/common.php to the extension?

By using the existing Prosilver CSS, there is no problem of compatibility with the existing style.

I like the implementation to place the string in its own <div> and to not insert an extra <br />.

A suggestion: Package the .zip file to extract directly into ext/marttiphpbb/showtopicstarter. So, copy the .zip file to ext/ and then extract to create marttiphpbb/showtopicstarter.

Can this extension be validated?
martti

Post by martti »

Lady_G wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 am
I have installed the extension on my localhost test environment. I have phpBB 3.2.2, PHP 7.1, and the Prosilver style. My board is English with the American English language pack.

I have tested the extension with desktop and mobile (responsive mode), with an avatar and without an avatar. It works perfectly.

Do I need to add language/en_us/common.php to the extension?
When not present, it falls back to "en". "Topic Starter" is just the same, isn't it?
Lady_G wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 am By using the existing Prosilver CSS, there is no problem of compatibility with the existing style.

I like the implementation to place the string in its own <div> and to not insert an extra <br />.

A suggestion: Package the .zip file to extract directly into ext/marttiphpbb/showtopicstarter. So, copy the .zip file to ext/ and then extract to create marttiphpbb/showtopicstarter.

Can this extension be validated?
When in CDB,it will be packaged like that. It will stay first a bit here to be tested as BETA and RC, before going into the validation process.
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

martti wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm
remoss wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:23 pm It's really this one: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_author/
I see. it's a newer version, 1.0.4 instead of 1.0.2 in the CDB.

Link to the repo in Github: https://github.com/dmzx/Topic-Author
Thank you for locating the latest version. I have compared your extension to Topic Author.

Unfortunately, I have no permissions to add attachments to show my screenshots. (Do I need to request permission?)

In summary,

- The added <br /> of Topic Author is forcing the username to go underneath the avatar in responsive mode. This increases the vertical space used by the post author. For mobile devices, vertical space must be minimized.
- In desktop mode, the large size of the Topic Author text uses more vertical space than Show Topic Starter.
- Prosilver alternates the background color every post. The transparent background of Show Topic Starter accommodates this change. Topic Author is not transparent, making a color match more difficult.

I will wait until the Show Topic Starter extension has been validated.
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

martti wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:48 am
3Di wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:44 am Seems like you forgot to add the css file in the repo?

https://github.com/marttiphpbb/phpbb-ex ... rter&type=
For me it looks ok as it is. The class is just there as selector for whoever wants to style it.
I have created my very first repository fork and pull request on GitHub. See: Addition of CSS support. by Lady-G · Pull Request #1 · marttiphpbb/phpbb-ext-showtopicstarter Please review carefully.

For me, a css file directly inside the extension is easier to maintain than searching the prosilver style. I have created a css file which uses the class selector. The file properties are commented out as an example, but it shows what I have been testing.

In addition, I have customised the language file to use all capital letters as TOPIC STARTER. The all capital letters can easily be seen, but it does not detract from the prosilver appearance. It also works with mobile devices.
martti

Post by martti »

Lady_G wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:47 am I have created my very first repository fork and pull request on GitHub. See: Addition of CSS support. by Lady-G · Pull Request #1 · marttiphpbb/phpbb-ext-showtopicstarter Please review carefully.

For me, a css file directly inside the extension is easier to maintain than searching the prosilver style. I have created a css file which uses the class selector. The file properties are commented out as an example, but it shows what I have been testing.

In addition, I have customised the language file to use all capital letters as TOPIC STARTER. The all capital letters can easily be seen, but it does not detract from the prosilver appearance. It also works with mobile devices.
Modifications to extensions will get lost in an update process so it is not recommendable to modify. (but you can of course).
And I would like to keep the style decoupled from the rendering. Therefore I'm writing now an extension that makes it possible to add custom css. (Probably to be published this week).

Btw. for uppercase text, you can use css property text-transform.

div.marttiphpbb-showtopicstarter {
  text-transform: uppercase;
}
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

{{ lang('MARTTIPHPBB_SHOWTOPICSTARTER_TOPIC_STARTER')|upper }} should work.

https://twig.symfony.com/doc/2.x/filters/upper.html
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
martti

Post by martti »

3Di wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 am {{ lang('MARTTIPHPBB_SHOWTOPICSTARTER_TOPIC_STARTER')|upper }} should work.

That would imply modifying.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

martti wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:16 am
3Di wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 am {{ lang('MARTTIPHPBB_SHOWTOPICSTARTER_TOPIC_STARTER')|upper }} should work.

That would imply modifying.
That's for Lady_G. ;) Just a different manner to skin a cat, so to speak.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

martti wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am
Lady_G wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:47 am I have created my very first repository fork and pull request on GitHub. See: Addition of CSS support. by Lady-G · Pull Request #1 · marttiphpbb/phpbb-ext-showtopicstarter Please review carefully.

Modifications to extensions will get lost in an update process so it is not recommendable to modify. (but you can of course).
And I would like to keep the style decoupled from the rendering. Therefore I'm writing now an extension that makes it possible to add custom css. (Probably to be published this week).

}
See: https://www.martins-phpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=887

Custom css & html
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

martti wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am ...Modifications to extensions will get lost in an update process so it is not recommendable to modify. (but you can of course).

}
Thank you, as I did not consider the update process. :oops:

For testing, I have modified styles/prosilver/theme/content.css to place your class selector in the section which displays the poster profile.

Find:

/* Poster profile block
----------------------------------------*/
Add after:

font-weight: bold;
}
I have added a bold font weight. The modification works for both mobile (responsive) and desktop devices.

Thank you for the information.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Lady_G wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:06 am
martti wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am ...Modifications to extensions will get lost in an update process so it is not recommendable to modify. (but you can of course).

}
Thank you, as I did not consider the update process. :oops:

For testing, I have modified styles/prosilver/theme/content.css to place your class selector in the section which displays the poster profile.

Find:

/* Poster profile block
----------------------------------------*/
Add after:

font-weight: bold;
}
I have added a bold font weight. The modification works for both mobile (responsive) and desktop devices.

Thank you for the information.
/ext/martin/cssmagic/styles/all/theme/cssmagic.css

/*
--------------------------------------------------------------
Topic Starter
-------------------------------------------------------------- */
.marttiphpbb-showtopicstarter {
	color: #d90000;
	text-shadow: 3px 2px 3px #6cd900;
	letter-spacing: 1px;
	line-height: 1.8;
}
/*
-------------------------------------------------------------- */
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

Froddelaar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:15 am See: https://www.martins-phpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=887

Custom css & html
the only problem is you have to be registered in order to view topics on his site :(
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Hello,

Can you please tell me a status for this proposed extension? It is currently tagged as [BETA].
martti

Post by martti »

Lady_G wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:38 pm Hello,

Can you please tell me a status for this proposed extension? It is currently tagged as [BETA].
However it's a simple extension, having it released in the CDB will take some time.

Return to “Extensions in Development”