[3.2][3.3][RC] Random Banner

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

[3.2][3.3][RC] Random Banner

Post by HiFiKabin »

Extension Name: Random Banner Image Image Image
Author: HiFiKabin

Extension Description: Adds banners to your forum header. Each banner is randomly loaded and can direct to its own URL.

Notes:
  • Random in this instance means a random selection at each page load. There is no reference to any previously loaded banner so there will be times when the same banner is loaded several times in succession.
  • The banner must be a standard image extension eg .jpg .gif .png etc
  • If you host the banner on your own server, create a directory in the images folder in your forum root (where config.php is) called random_banner in which to upload them. To ensure the image appears on all pages the URL for the image will then be http://myforum.com/images/random_banner/image.gif
  • The banner will scale to fit the device being used.
  • Each banner's link can be ignored, opened in the same or new tab
  • Ability to overlay your existing Site Logo added
  • Compatible with my Google Search Extension
  • For best visual results ensure the banners are all the same dimensions.

Language:
  • EN
  • Language Pack nl
Extension Version: 3.2.0-RC4

Supported Styles:
  • prosilver
Screenshots:

Live Demo: HERE

Download: HERE

Installation:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Upload the folder hifikabin to root/ext/ and enable it in the ACP
Support:

The contact us link at the bottom of this Forum or This Topic
SlobberySam

Re: [3.2][RC] Random Banner

Post by SlobberySam »

This seems useful, and I will definitely test it later. Few things I notice solely from this topic;
  • Inconsistency in the ACP tab - it says "link URL", yet the input box says "target URL".
  • You have to link the images directly. A feature to simply rotate through a folder would be cool.
  • The tab seems generally unfitting visually. You have a configuration in smaller text on the first box, maybe make this something such as "Base Settings" and then add another tab such as "Image Configuration" for the second box. The instructions also just don't fit imo. Perhaps another box for them?
Anyway, that's solely my constructive criticism. Definitely a needed extension and I hope it's only a WIP.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

SlobberySam wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm This seems useful, and I will definitely test it later. Few things I notice solely from this topic;

Inconsistency in the ACP tab - it says "link URL", yet the input box says "target URL".
:oops: Thought I had fixed all of those
SlobberySam wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm You have to link the images directly. A feature to simply rotate through a folder would be cool.
Done deliberately that way as some users may like to use 'off site' images, also it would be hard to link a particular URL to a specific banner that way (you might for instance want to link one banner to a particular topic, another to a forum etc)
SlobberySam wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm The tab seems generally unfitting visually. You have a configuration in smaller text on the first box, maybe make this something such as "Base Settings" and then add another tab such as "Image Configuration" for the second box. The instructions also just don't fit imo. Perhaps another box for them?
Not sure exactly what you mean
SlobberySam wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm Anyway, that's solely my constructive criticism. Definitely a needed extension and I hope it's only a WIP.
Thanks, I'll certainly consider other ideas to make it better.
sparnkle

Post by sparnkle »

This is an amazing program. Thank you very much for making this needed functionality to the new 3.2 phpBB.

To test the functionality of the random banner I added it over my existing banner and found the following interesting functionality:

The original banner was set as a background image set to its native 125px height, however the random banner stretched the image to a maximum height of 104px.

My banners tend to be nicer as horizontally looping images at full size cut off by the dimensions of the div. Could there be an option to force the "random-banner" div to treat the image as a non-scalable looping background image?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

The problem with making the banner 'non scalable' (ie a fixed dimension) is that on smaller devices the whole banner will not show which could end up looking very strange.

The way it has been written scales the banner to the forum width in all situations so as long as you have all of your banners the same size to start with, everything will look consistent and there will be no unsightly 'jumps' between banners.

I hope that makes things clear.
jan_2017

Post by jan_2017 »

Where is the Limit? How many pics i can add?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

With the current version there is no limit, although I expect there may be a load penalty of you had 100's or 1000's of images. Just keep clicking "Add Another Banner" and the page will expand to accommodate the extra data which will then be written to the database on page submit.
Tin Soldier

Post by Tin Soldier »

Header Banner successfully removes the search box when enabled to do so. However, Random Banner seems to bring it back to the upper right corner no matter what the setting. Due to this, I disabled Random Banner, although I'd prefer it over Header Banner.

(phpBB 3.2.5 Using FF 65 on Win10x64)

Can you replicate this?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

All Search Box switching works perfectly in my test environment. Random Banner 3.2.0_rc1 on phpBB 3.2.5. (has also works correctly on 3.2.4 and 3.2.3)

I suggest you disable AND delete data before enabling an test again.
Tin Soldier

Post by Tin Soldier »

HiFiKabin wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:00 pmI suggest you disable AND delete data before enabling an test again.
That did it (was one of the things I tried, anyhow). I had Header Banner installed side-by-side, but disabled, and now it's gone completely, and Random banner is performing as it should. :)
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

Tin Soldier wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:28 am
That did it (was one of the things I tried, anyhow). I had Header Banner installed side-by-side, but disabled, and now it's gone completely, and Random banner is performing as it should. :)
IIRC (and without checking the code) the search box has the same code in each extension, hence the conflict
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

</Solidjeuh> wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:15 pm Dutch translation: https://github.com/Solidjeuh/Random-Banner
Thanks, added to my site
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0_RC2 now available.

Code tidied, ability to overlay your existing Site Logo added

Update from previous version:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Disable Random Banner in the ACP
  • Delete randombanner folder from the server
  • Upload the folder hifikabin to root/ext/
  • Enable Random Banner in the ACP
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Thank you for the update!
NL translation also updated: https://github.com/Solidjeuh/Random-Banner

Return to “Extensions in Development”