[CDB] SEO Metadata

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: [3.2][BETA] SEO Metadata

Post by AlfredoRamos »

igorbond wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:27 pm When debug is enabled, it gives

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/alfredoramos/seometadata/event/listener.php on line 119: Undefined offset: 161852
Fixed
igorbond wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:58 am In general, it is not necessary that the pictures were not available, if the first message contains a large number of third-party pictures, the topic simply does not open. :(
While I don't understand the first phrase, I think I know what you tried to say.

The problem is not that it "contains a large number of third-party pictures", because it only fetches 5 from the first post, and work with them (remove duplicates and low resolution images), I think that's a network problem since I have this extension on a production forum and I cant reproduce that issue.

As I said previously, images are cached after the first run.
igorbond wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:45 am If you install the Default image, it does not pick up the images uploaded to the forum, but only the Default image
I don't know what extension is that, but this extension filters the images it can use by image size (>= 200x200 px) and by the setting in the ACP (first found or image size), check the settings you're using.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Forex Station

Re: [3.2][BETA] SEO Metadata

Post by Forex Station »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 pm
As I said previously, images are cached after the first run.
Thank you Abad for your efforts and hard work into making this nice extension for us. It's great to see someone trying to improve the SEO for us PhpBB owners. Can't wait to see it finished! ;)
Highly-customized PhpBB board voted as one of the most influential trading sites in the world: forex-station.com 💬
Victor2018

Re: [3.2][RC] SEO Metadata

Post by Victor2018 »

In the popular topics (or popular posts, such as this topic), with many page numbers, only the meta descriptions of the first page are displayed, even if the source code of the last page is displayed. This is not good. Each page of the topic should have its own specific meta descriptions. It would be nice to have meta descriptions by post; but it is absolutely necessary to have them by page. Or better nothing. A topic open in January, which continues in November, which arrives on page 60, continues to provide meta descriptions of January, of the first page!
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Forex Station wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 am Thank you Abad for your efforts and hard work into making this nice extension for us. It's great to see someone trying to improve the SEO for us PhpBB owners. Can't wait to see it finished! ;)
Thanks, the features are all done, it only needs to be polished.
Victor2018 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 pm In the popular topics (or popular posts, such as this topic), with many page numbers, only the meta descriptions of the first page are displayed, even if the source code of the last page is displayed. This is not good.
I don't see why "that is not good", this is for topics not for posts, the first topic is not affected by latter replies.
Victor2018 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 pmEach page of the topic should have its own specific meta descriptions. It would be nice to have meta descriptions by post; but it is absolutely necessary to have them by page.
I don't agree, if the first post of the second page it's something like "Thanks :D", that would be the description of that page, do you really want that? You can't predict what would be the first post of each page and you might find something you don't want to show.

I'm definitely not going to add support for that.
Victor2018 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 pm Or better nothing.
You can easily accomplish that by not using this extension.
Victor2018 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 pm A topic open in January, which continues in November, which arrives on page 60, continues to provide meta descriptions of January, of the first page!
I don't see how that's a problem.

For a blog, for example, you want the text from the post of from comments? I know it's not the same but the replies act as comments on a board.

Victor2018

Post by Victor2018 »

Not good, because in this way the content of meta descriptions is incoherent with the content of the page; that is, it is negative both for SEO purposes and for sharing on social networks, both automatically and manually.

I understand that "you can not do it" by post; but by page it is necessary, for guarantee coherence between meta description and page content! I know that to resolve I have to uninstall the extension. In fact, I uninstalled it. I just wanted to report the problems to the utility of the Community so that the extension could improve. But you are free to ignore my report.

"Happy you, all happy!"
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Victor2018 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:01 pm Not good, because in this way the content of meta descriptions is incoherent with the content of the page; that is, it is negative both for SEO purposes and for sharing on social networks, both automatically and manually.

I understand that "you can not do it" by post; but by page it is necessary, for guarantee coherence between meta description and page content! I know that to resolve I have to uninstall the extension. In fact, I uninstalled it. I just wanted to report the problems to the utility of the Community so that the extension could improve. But you are free to ignore my report.

"Happy you, all happy!"
Mission accomplished 8-)

jackennils

Post by jackennils »

Well done! It's fine the way it is and I agree with all your above arguments. :)
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

And still working perfect! I made a pull request with the updated NL translation
igorbond

Post by igorbond »

I put the latest version and now the name of the conference is also displayed in the title of the topic, should it be so? Previously this was not.
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

jackennils wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:08 pm Well done! It's fine the way it is and I agree with all your above arguments. :)
</Solidjeuh> wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:09 pm And still working perfect! I made a pull request with the updated NL translation
I really appreciate your help, I replied the pull request.
igorbond wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:54 pm I put the latest version and now the name of the conference is also displayed in the title of the topic, should it be so? Previously this was not.
Conference? I don't know what you are referring to.

Nothing was changed regarding the title (reference), in fact the title is generated by phpBB itself and this only fetches that as is, no modifications are made to it.

AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

The version 1.0.0 has been sent for validation, see the Changelog for more information.

</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

RomaamoR
Name: Roman

Post by RomaamoR »

It doesn't work for facebook. Such a mistake.
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

RomaamoR wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53 pm It doesn't work for facebook
That seems to be an error on your board, this extension is used on live boards with no problems ;)

</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Working perfect here on 2 live boards.
Try the same URL with the Facebook debugger: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/

Return to “Extensions in Development”