[ABD] Linked Accounts 1.1.0

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Flerex
Name: Flerex

[ABD] Linked Accounts 1.1.0

Post by Flerex »

Extension Name: Linked Accounts
Author: Flerex

Extension Description: A phpBB 3.2 extension that gives your users the ability to link all their accounts and switch between them with ease.
Extension Version: 1.1.0 Alpha 1

Old Post: [CDB] Linked Accounts

New features in 1.1.0:
  • [Canceled feature] Posting as another linked account. Now you can create a new topic or reply to any as one of your linked accounts.
  • [Not implemented] New board-wide option for admins to choose if they want to hide their user's current links when they don't have permissions to switch accounts. This is enabled by default for security reasons.
  • [Not implemented] New board-wide option for admins to choose if they want to redirect to the Index or to the same page where the user was in when switching accounts.
  • [Not implemented] Admins will be able to choose whether links are affected by a transitive relation (if account A is linked to account B and B is linked to C, then A is also linked to C).

Extension Download: Download v.1.1.0 (Alpha 1)

Info:
Linked Account was already published on the database but version 1.1.0 brings some big changes that might need to be tested before sending it to the extension database for approval.

I'd appreciate if you guys helped me out testing this version to find any bugs.

Note: The feature regarding redirecting to the Index or to the Same page gives only the ability to choose. Right now the extension (the one in the database) redirects to a message saying that the redirection has ben successful but there's already a new release waiting for approval that redirects to the same page when switching accounts. If you want to try this newest release without waiting for it to be approved, you can either download the latest release in the download link of the old post or you can download this alpha which already includes those changes (plus the new ones that we're testing).

Currently known issues:
  • When editing a post in and switching it's author with the posting as feature to one that needs their posts to be approved, the post will not be sent to reapproval.
  • When the posting as procedure has succeeded in a forum where you need approval, a "Topic doesn't exist" message will be returned. This is because the current account doesn't have permissions to see the post yet. A message “Post is in the approval queue" should be shown instead.
If you have any suggestion for a new feature we can discuss it in this topic. If it's not too big we could even include it in version 1.1.0.
Last edited by Flerex on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Re: [3.2][ALPHA] Linked Accounts 1.1.0

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Should I delete the data of the previous extension before installing this one, Or can I just upgrade without losing my current linked accounts?
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

You should be able to update without any problem.
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Flerex wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 am You should be able to update without any problem.
Updated, and working. I let you know if I find bugs :D
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

Thank you, I appreciate it. :3
fagbutlil
I've Been Banned!

Post by fagbutlil »

Mchat posts show as the main account if Posting as another linked account is enabled.

If you switch to another account and make a forum post (and mchat allowed to post new topics/replies) then mchat will post the topic as the main account.
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

I don't know what Mchat is. I'm going to assume it's another extension. I don't know what's the protocol regarding support between extensions but I don't know if I should add code to support other extension. Anyway, switching account should actually work. Do you have a link or something so I can download the extension?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Search "mchat".
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Just giving the link seems to hard for some people.. lol
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... extension/
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

Froddelaar wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm Just giving the link seems to hard for some people.. lol
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... extension/
Thank you very much. I got confused because searching “mchat” on the database yields no results. The search engine should definitely be fixed.
fagbutlil wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 pm Mchat posts show as the main account if Posting as another linked account is enabled.

If you switch to another account and make a forum post (and mchat allowed to post new topics/replies) then mchat will post the topic as the main account.
I don't quite understand what you mean by having the “posting as” feature enabled. There's currently no option to enable or disable it. It's always enabled. It shouldn't affect the chat though, as the “posting as” feature is only related to topic creation and answering posts.

Regarding your second problem it seems like I can't replicate it. Remember that when you want to send a message as another user in that extension you should go first to the “switching menu” and manually switch accounts, as the following version of this extension is not compatible with mChat. Anyway, I can confirm switching does work with mChat. Maybe if you could give us more information we could find the problem.
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

I was thinking about the “posting as” feature and ways to exploit it. See the following scenario: A user has two accounts (account A and account B) that are also linked between them. In a given forum, account A has standard permissions but account B has full permissions. The user could switch to account B to, for example, create a sticky posts and post it as account A, which shouldn't be able to do that.

That had me thinking what especial situations should I be aware of and I after a few digging in phpBB's codebase I found at least the following:
  • If the account you are in doesn't have posting/reply permissions but there are linked accounts that do have these permissions, the “New topic” or “Reply” buttons should be shown anyway.
  • There're a lot of permissions to consider: signature permissions, queue permissions, posting/editing permissions, announces, stickies, etc.
  • Possible a lot more that I missed.
There's a lot of situations like those I mentioned that I should take care of code-wise and I don't think it's really worth it for what we are actually gaining. Especially because since version 1.0.6 AJAX has been implemented and if you want to create a post as another user you only have to switch accounts and you would be left in the same posting form. The only difference would be that in this case you have to do it before writing anything, otherwise you would lose everything you wrote.

Overall I just feel like I could be focusing on other features instead of implementing this one. Just as I was implementing doesn't feel very user friendly and would change a lot how the phpBB's posting feature behaves and would confuse a lot of users. I might implement this feature in the future if I discover a way to make it user friendly too, but right not with how the idea came to be and with all those special cases that I would have to take care of, I don't feel like it's worth it at all.

What do you feel about this decision? Any feedback would be appreciated.
</Solidjeuh>

Re: [ABD] Linked Accounts 1.1.0

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Just remove that "posting" function ;)
Switching to the other account to create a post takes 1 second.. Just keep it simple ;)

Btw, I saw the new language files, but don't see it in ACP .. ?

Code: Select all

-	'ADM_LINKED_ACCOUNTS_SETTINGS_EXPLAIN'	=> 'Here you can customize some of the extension’s features.',
-	'CONF_AJAX'								=> 'Use AJAX when switching accounts
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

Hello!

I decided to switch back to the master branch of the repository because the new settings in the ACP don't need that much of testing. Have you got the version from the master branch of the repository?
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Flerex wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:37 am Hello!

I decided to switch back to the master branch of the repository because the new settings in the ACP don't need that much of testing. Have you got the version from the master branch of the repository?
Yes, 1.1.0
Flerex

Post by Flerex »

Yeah, but there're two 1.1.0 versions now. The one that you can download in the link of the first post of this topic (which is no longer the good one) and the one in the master branch, which you would be able to download from here:

https://github.com/flerex/linkedaccounts

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”