[CDB] Markdown

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: [3.2][BETA] Markdown

Post by AlfredoRamos »

abdu7maan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:31 pm no work
I got it from your first message...
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:23 pm
Could you post the text you used? because it looks like you have two nested [code] BBCodes, which is not supported by phpBB itself, and that's not a problem of the extension.

I just tested it and it works as expected
The image you posted does not show which BBCodes you used, search a option in your WYSIWYG editor to show the raw data and post its content as text not as image (screenshot), simply commenting "no work" does not help.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
abdu7maan

Post by abdu7maan »

I tried all the roads and did not work
What do you want me to do?
Explain how to use ..
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

abdu7maan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm What do you want me to do?
Post the text you used to get that, it's clearly an error in your BBCode:
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:40 pm search a option in your WYSIWYG editor to show the raw data and post its content as text not as image (screenshot)
abdu7maan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm Explain how to use ..
It's pretty straightforward: you type the plain text, then click on Preview or Submit.

https://i.imgur.com/GA6r1ss.mp4

abdu7maan

Post by abdu7maan »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:12 pm
abdu7maan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm What do you want me to do?
Post the text you used to get that, it's clearly an error in your BBCode:
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:40 pm search a option in your WYSIWYG editor to show the raw data and post its content as text not as image (screenshot)
abdu7maan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm Explain how to use ..
It's pretty straightforward: you type the plain text, then click on Preview or Submit.

https://i.imgur.com/GA6r1ss.mp4
I do the same thing in the picture and yet it did not work
Frankly, I do not know why the support team and the programmers have complicated things for users
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

abdu7maan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 pm I do the same thing in the picture and yet it did not work
Frankly, I do not know why the support team and the programmers have complicated things for users
And yet you still did not post the text I requested (three times) from you.

If you think is too complicated to simply post text, then I fear this extension is not for you which is fine, it was not aimed to fit all users.

I will just give a small hint: your WYSIWYG editor might be the responsible, not this extension.

I really tried to help you, but it seems that you don't want to be helped so I give up on you, good luck.

abdu7maan

Post by abdu7maan »

This code used:
| Header 1 | Header 2 |
|----------|----------|
| Cell 1 | Cell 2 |

The editor was disabled and the default editor was not used and your style did not work. I'm not stupid or do not understand
I have started all of the installation to activate the add-on and also modify the permissions. However no
What do you want me to do more than that
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Version 0.7.1-beta released, more information in the changelog.

nou nou

Post by nou nou »

I see no issues with this latest version, thank you!

Spotted a small spelling error in the doc page - Quotted should be Quoted.

Kasimi (of mChat fame) was so kind to branch a version of mChat that is compatible with your Markdown extension - https://github.com/kasimi/mChat/tree/la ... ter-parser

It works really well, which is terrific. The changes won't be rolled into the master branch because they don't follow phpBB code guidelines, so if you would feel inclined to adjust Markdown instead... but I'm happy with this solution.

Since there are no more conflicts to be seen and your extensions are typically very well behaved, I'm tempted to deploy this on a live board for beta testing. Any objections? :)
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

nou nou wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 am Spotted a small spelling error in the doc page - Quotted should be Quoted.
Thanks, I've fixed in the repository.
nou nou wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:52 am It works really well, which is terrific. The changes won't be rolled into the master branch because they don't follow phpBB code guidelines, so if you would feel inclined to adjust Markdown instead... but I'm happy with this solution.
I have some mixed feelings with that, I would really like to add support for that however I rely on the execution order that phpBB provides, some extensions change the order of those PHP events when calling the parser, as kasimi explained to me in the issue I opened in his repository.

From what I understood (if I understood it correctly at all), I would need to make substantial changes just to add support for those kind of extensions, and while I don't want to look like I'm being selfish, I also don't want to change something that should work as is, because I don't use mChat.

I don't promise anything, I'll see how much effort it would take to add support for it.

nou nou

Post by nou nou »

As I said, I'm happy with the solution that's there now so no worries on my behalf. I also test against almost 70 other extensions and I have yet to find another conflict. Overall it doesn't seem to be a big deal, so entirely up to you. You may want to add this as a caveat to the extension docs, mChat is a pretty popular extension.

I'll report back if my users find anything else but so far I'd say this feels pretty solid.
nou nou

Post by nou nou »

The only "issue" left that I have found, is that when users are not allowed to use Markdown, there is still a display option for it in the UCP, as well as the message "Markdown is OFF" in the post editor (with link to the help). You have to turn the feature off in the Board Features for those to disappear...

I would argue that when users aren't allowed to use the extension, options and docs related to it should not be there either?
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

nou nou wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 pm I would argue that when users aren't allowed to use the extension, options and docs related to it should not be there either?
I would say it's not an issue if it behaves like the standard BBCode options and permissions, after all it's the same engine and I want it to be coherent with that.

For example, if you revoke permissions for a user or group to use BBCode, they still see its status in the posting box (BBCode is OFF) and the link is also available.

nou nou

Post by nou nou »

Ah - thanks for that info. I did not know this.

I have no further questions, your honour :)
nou nou

Post by nou nou »

I'm having the oddest issue and for the life of me I can't trace the cause.

I can't enable Markdown for the Admin group on my live board. I can enable it for other groups just fine. I can also add the Admin to that group but that doesn't help. However, I can test out other users' permissions from the Admin account and that DOES work, but that would make for one heck of an awkward workaround... ;)

I've tried disabling and deleting data to start over, but that didn't work either. On enabling the extension, Markdown is disabled for Admin (i.e. in post editor it says Markdown is OFF, and the disable Markdown checkbox isn't there). On my testboard it works out of the box.

The most frustrating part is that on my test board it works as expected. On my live board it doesn't. But the two are seemingly identical (as far as I can tell).

I wouldn't be surprised too much if it is user error somewhere. The only difference I can currently think of is that on the board where it doesn't work, I use more custom permission roles than on the test board, where I rely mostly on the standard phpBB ones (like Standard Access + Polls etc...). But they should work, and Permission Tracing results in an all-clear (result: YES) for Markdown, it just doesn't do it.

Could there be anything wonky left in the permissions at all on the extension side? Like there seems to be a permission for Markdown in signatures, but I haven't seen that in the ACP anywhere... might not be related...

I'm trying hard to reproduce it somewhere that I could give you access to, but no luck as of yet. In the meantime if you have any ideas please let me know?

Fun times :mrgreen:
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

nou nou wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 am I can't enable Markdown for the Admin group on my live board
Is Markdown enabled in the UCP?
Are administrators also in the Registered users group?
Are administrators in any other group where the permissions to use Markdown are set to Never?

I think I know what the problem might be, hopefully It will be ready in the next version (0.8.0).

Return to “Extensions in Development”