[3.2][RC] Markdown

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
nou nou

Re: [3.2][BETA] Markdown

Post by nou nou » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:49 pm

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:02 pm
Is Markdown enabled in the UCP?
Yes
AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Are administrators also in the Registered users group?
Yes
AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Are administrators in any other group where the permissions to use Markdown are set to Never?
No
AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
I think I know what the problem might be, hopefully It will be ready in the next version (0.8.0).
Terrific, thanks! I'm ready for testing :)

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 am

Version 0.8.0-beta released, see changelog for more information.
nou nou wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 am
I've tried disabling and deleting data to start over, but that didn't work either. On enabling the extension, Markdown is disabled for Admin (i.e. in post editor it says Markdown is OFF, and the disable Markdown checkbox isn't there). On my testboard it works out of the box.
I've been testing and the only way I can reproduce the issue is by revoking the forum permissions to use Markdown. The Markdown status is OFF only if either the use of Markdown has been disabled globally or the forum doesn't allow its use, no other permissions or settings are checked.

Try if the new version fixes the issue, it grants permissions for more user roles so you can change them independently.
A proudly user of Arch Linux :: /r/sddm_themes

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 am

No luck... :(

Everything works flawlessly, just not for the admin account of this board...

But I found something weird. When I compare the permissions mask with the permissions trace for the admin account, this is what happens:

So they don't match... :idea: :?:

This I don't see in the test board, which is odd because it's a copy of the live one. I wish it were the other way around :D

With other random users (where Markdown works), everything is normal:

Where do I start looking now...?

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Oh yes - one thing that occurred to me - the one difference that I can think of between the two board is that the test board has had several installs of Markdown dev versions (since 0.1 I think?) while the live one only 0.7.1 beta onwards...

Possibility of some residual something in the database?

I'm guessing here... :)

UPDATE

The plot thickens.

So as soon as I add a user to the Administrators group, Markdown turns off for that user. That limits it to the Administrator group permissions. This is further confirmed by enabling "exempt group leader from permissions" in the Administrators group, which fixes everything for the Admin account (which is the leader of the Administrators group...).

So then I thought I'd just go into the Admin group permissions and turn everything to "yes". And then something else weird happens:

As you can see, the "Misc" section displays as if there is a permission set to "no" (or the square would be green). But all permissions are set to "yes"...

I'm now thinking this is going into database table territory. Perhaps I should go to support with this, but first I wanted to keep you posted of my progress. I can make this work, but there is certainly something fishy going on.

Leaves me to explain why the test board is fine...

AbaddonOrmuz

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 pm

nou nou wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 pm
So as soon as I add a user to the Administrators group, Markdown turns off for that user. That limits it to the Administrator group permissions. This is further confirmed by enabling "exempt group leader from permissions" in the Administrators group, which fixes everything for the Admin account (which is the leader of the Administrators group...)
Mmm... I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Have you noticed this issue with other extensions (with permissions)?

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 am

No, I've never encountered anything like it.

I'm trying to isolate it... If you have time, could you verify if the following reproducible case works for you?

What I am trying to do is have a forum hidden from "normal" Registered Users that allows a single group of users to test Markdown before deploying it forum-wide.

So I want to create a forum where only a group called "Beta" (for example) has access, but not Registered Users.

In that forum, I can't get the Administrators group to use Markdown, even if I also add Admins to the "Beta" group.

Administrators seems to be the only group showing this behaviour...

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:16 am

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 pm
nou nou wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 pm
So as soon as I add a user to the Administrators group, Markdown turns off for that user. That limits it to the Administrator group permissions. This is further confirmed by enabling "exempt group leader from permissions" in the Administrators group, which fixes everything for the Admin account (which is the leader of the Administrators group...)
Mmm... I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Have you noticed this issue with other extensions (with permissions)?
Actually, that "exempt group leader from permissions" thing - that only works when the Registered Users group is allowed to view the forum. In the scenario I described above, with the "beta" group - that still doesn't work.

I'm going to try and get you access to something, it becomes hard to explain :mrgreen:

AbaddonOrmuz

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:23 pm

I will check it as soon as I have the time.

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 am

Thanks! Please don't feel like there is any urgency for me. I have a workaround for the admin account and for all other users it works as expected.

Feedback from users is terrific by the way - they love this.

AbaddonOrmuz

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Version 0.9-0-beta released.

In this version the administrator can disable, for example, the use of Markdown in private messages and leave it enabled for posts and user signature; or disable it for posts and leave it enabled for private messages and signature, and so on.
nou nou wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:16 am
Actually, that "exempt group leader from permissions" thing - that only works when the Registered Users group is allowed to view the forum. In the scenario I described above, with the "beta" group - that still doesn't work.
I tried to reproduce it locally, but I'm pretty sure I didn't set up correctly.

I'll send you a PM to a fresh public test board, so if you can and want, you can try to reproduce what you have on your live board.

nou nou

Post by nou nou » Thu May 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Sweet, thank you! I'll have a play with it as soon as I can!

AbaddonOrmuz

Re: [3.2][RC] Markdown

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Version 1.0.0 released and sent for validation.

Return to “Extensions in Development”