[3.2][BETA] Advanced Points System

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Venatus Vinco

Re: [3.2][BETA] Advanced Points System

Post by Venatus Vinco » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 am

3Di wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 pm
So to verify the fixes. Thank you.
Error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '->' (T_OBJECT_OPERATOR) in .../ext/phpbbstudio/aps/event/check.php on line 74

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 am
3Di wrote:
Error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '->' (T_OBJECT_OPERATOR) in .../ext/phpbbstudio/aps/event/check.php on line 74
Oops, the power of copy&paste, missing $ on this->

See: https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... a39718.png

Above post amended.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

Dabony

Post by Dabony » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am

Obviously, this is a suggestion. So feel free to ignore it. I'm also unsure how complicated it would be.

Basically, on my forum, to encourage activity, everyone who earned over ~100 points during the week gets an additional 100. And it got me thinking of an automated and better version of something like that:

Rest Points

Each day (or week, or hour, etc.), a user earns X rest points. But, they have a cap of Y rest points. Whenever they would normally gain points, those rest points are also converted into points, meaning they effectively gain double. So if you would earn 100 points from a post, and you have 180 rest points, you instead earn 200 points but your rest points go down to 80. But, say your next post is also worth 100 points. In that case, all your remaining 80 rest points will be converted into points so you'll gain 180 points.

I just figured this was an interesting idea that might not be on your radar.

Secondly, for forums letting people gain points via word/character counts, it would be cool if you could have an option where if a post is permanently deleted, the post writer loses the points they would have gained from the words/characters. And if a post is edited, their points might change depending on if the post size goes up or down. That would be pretty nifty and useful - since right now I just have edits and permanent deletions disabled for users and manually subtract points whenever they want to delete something (since I'm using this on my test forum).

Venatus Vinco

Post by Venatus Vinco » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Venatus Vinco wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 am
3Di wrote:
Error

Fixed. Site is working. Behaviour still appears.

Overview: http://www.nullfactor.net/eu/VV/images/overview.png
ACP Settings: http://www.nullfactor.net/eu/VV/images/acp.png

EDIT: If I set the minimum to 1 the overview will not go into the negatives. So this appears to be an issue with the "zero" setting. In many extensions "zero" is a sign for no limit as opposed to a number. Possibly the case here.

VV

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:49 pm

The check event listener still needs some work.
I did manage to get the errors to show up locally. There are some missing braces in there aswell.
We know that 0 is considered as false, that's why we use strict checks. This isn't our first rodeo.
Anyways, all of this will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for reporting.

A little more over the current 'checks': There currently are checks for bumping a topic, deleting, posting and voting.
It will only, however check the 'initial' points cost. For example, if creating a topic costs 5 points (-5) but you would get 100 points per character (which will always result in a 'positive gain' for making this topic), it will only use the 'base cost', so you need to have more than 5 points. (If the minimum is set to 0).
Dabony wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am
Rest Points

Each day (or week, or hour, etc.), a user earns X rest points. But, they have a cap of Y rest points. Whenever they would normally gain points, those rest points are also converted into points, meaning they effectively gain double. So if you would earn 100 points from a post, and you have 180 rest points, you instead earn 200 points but your rest points go down to 80. But, say your next post is also worth 100 points. In that case, all your remaining 80 rest points will be converted into points so you'll gain 180 points.
This sounds really complicated to implement, especially within this extension. Not sure if I fully understand it even.
However, in the future we will be looking to add a 'Bank' extension, where users can store their earned points and receive interest.
This sounds like it would somewhat be what you're after, encouraging activity. So users can receive more points from their points.
Dabony wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am
Secondly, for forums letting people gain points via word/character counts, it would be cool if you could have an option where if a post is permanently deleted, the post writer loses the points they would have gained from the words/characters. And if a post is edited, their points might change depending on if the post size goes up or down. That would be pretty nifty and useful - since right now I just have edits and permanent deletions disabled for users and manually subtract points whenever they want to delete something (since I'm using this on my test forum).
About editing, we have looked into it, but it close to impossible to have a consistent calculation. Not to mention the amount of variables it depends on. Therefor it will not be implemented.
About deleting, I understand that it might be useful to automate the process. I figured it shouldn't be a too common scenario, so moderators could just adjust it manually, if they even wanted to. We will see if we can add a checkbox of sorts. Will bring some questions with it though. For example, if I made a post, edited a couple of times and then later it is deleted, then are only the points removed for the initial post, or also the edits? Cause there might be more actions tied to a post. And those actions did take place, possibly even by other users and not the author. So they lose their points aswell?

Dabony

Post by Dabony » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Yeah, I figured rest points would probably be complicated. And idk if a bank is what I want. Because I don't like users getting points passively (like with interest).

Right now in my test forum we're just discouraging big edits. And mods are manually subtracting points after post deletions. Also, wow, I never thought about those questions. For my forum the answer would be obvious as points are solely gained based on a mix of character and word count, but I can see how that'd be awkward to figure out if flat points were gained per edit and stuff.

But, thanks for the response, and know that you're doing an awesome job with the extension!

Glorio

Post by Glorio » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Good evening,

I would like to know if it is possible to use an image at the dots instead of using the font awesome ?

Exemple :

Kenshin_Takai

Post by Kenshin_Takai » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 am

Brilliant extension you have here!

Is there any chance we'll be able to extend this plugin (or have it built in) to define and use multiple currencies concurrently (at the same time)?
I'd love to see that opportunity, even if it means by writing a sub-extension. I checked the current documentation, but am not entirely certain if this is yet possible; I only saw the ability to trigger based on new actions and point management for users.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 am

Kenshin_Takai wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 am
multiple currencies concurrently (at the same time)?
If you mean multiple type of points that's not possible.
Also, developing such a feature would be a PITA. :)

eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 am

Sorry for the question, but do you have any predictions for the RC version of APS and ASS?
My translations of the extensions for Brazilian Portuguese
https://github.com/phpBBTraducoes

globetrotting

Post by globetrotting » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:19 am

Hi,
and congrats to all your Studio projects and presentations- great things coming!

I'd love to see an action event added for moderators to the Cloning of a post.
In our forum the cloning of posts is one of the moderator's most important and significant tasks, worth to be honored.

Thanks for considering, I guess that wouldn't be too hard to integrate?
Das Sein ändert das Bewußtsein

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:41 am

globetrotting wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:19 am
I'd love to see an action event added for moderators to the Cloning of a post.
I know is possible to copy (fork, clone) a Topic, not a Post.

How do you do that?

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 pm

This action should already be included in the currently available actions.
The copying of a topic is already in the list, for both the moderator who copies the topic and the author of the topic.
Both can receive points. Points are based on the forum from which the topic is created.
So if "An Awesome topic" gets copied from "Forum A" to "Forum B", the points from "Forum A" will determine how many points the users will receive.

eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:41 am

would be a great resource if possible too:
bonus points >> for every X posts the user gets x points (For example, if the user makes 100 posts, he gets 200 extra points. If he makes 1000 posts, he gets 500 extra points...)
My translations of the extensions for Brazilian Portuguese
https://github.com/phpBBTraducoes

Return to “Extensions in Development”