[3.2][3.3][RC] Cosmos Banner

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

[3.2][3.3][RC] Cosmos Banner

Post by HiFiKabin »

Extension Name: Cosmos Banner Image Image
Author: HiFiKabin

Extension Description: A combination of my Header banner, Moon Phases and Sun Spots extension that overlay the banner with either or both of the Sun and Moon image. The sun/moon images are shown on all screen sizes although reduced in size at screens of 900px and 600px. Clicking on the sun or moon takes you to their respective sites.

As the Sun and Moon images rely on Javascript they are hidden if the user has JS disabled.

You can hide the existing header background colour, radius the corners of the banner, as well as set its maximum size. The search (if enabled) can be placed on the header (top left/top right/bottom left/bottom right) moved to the NavBar or hidden.

You can have a separate banner for mobile devices (<700px) if you wish

The banner is linked to the url that the site_logo is linked to

Notes:
  • NOTE If you are upgrading from my Moon Banner extension, please Disable and Delete its data and files before installing Cosmos banner.
  • The banner image must be a standard image extension eg .jpg .gif .png etc
  • If you host the image on your own server, place it in the images directory in the form root. To ensure it will appear on all pages, please still enter the full URL eg http://mysite.com/images/banner.jpg
  • You can use the images I have on my demo by seeing This Post
  • By setting the maximum width you can widen a small banner but it may distort of become pixilated.
  • The Banner Image is ALWAYS show at full width when using Internet Explorer
  • The image of the Sun Spots is © NASA/SDO and used with permission. It is cached in your browser for one hour before being refreshed.
  • The image of the moon is © https://www.calendrier-lunaire.net and used with permission.It is cached in your browser for one day before being refreshed.
  • This extension is best viewed in Firefox and Chrome. When viewed in IE or Edge (and some other browsers) there is a black box surrounding the SunSpot image. This is purely cosmetic and has no effect on the SunSpot image it self.
  • Compatible with my Google Search Extension in the NavBar and Index positions. Placing it in the Header upsets the layout and is removed from the display although the switch will still exist in the ACP.
  • Automatic RLT switching
Language:
  • EN
  • Language Pack fr
Extension Version: 3.2.0-RC8

Supported Styles:
  • prosilver
Additional Styles: Download Here
  • Blackfog
  • we_universal
Live Demo: HERE

Screenshots:

cosmos-index.jpg

acp.png

Download: HERE

Installation:
  • Download the latest release and unzip it.
  • Upload the folder hifikabin to root/ext/ and enable it in the ACP
Support:

The contact us link at the bottom of this Forum or This Topic
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: [3.2][RC] Cosmos Banner

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC2 CSS errors corrected, code tidied. Live demo link added in first post

Update from previous version:
  • Disable Cosmos Banner in the ACP
  • Delete cosmosbanner folder from the server
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC3 Sun and moon are now shown on all screen sizes, albeit smaller at screen width less than 900px

I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Looks interesting, and I may install this since my board has a space theme. Go to my profile to see my site and you'll see.

Note, I use Pale Moon as my browser and it too shows a black box around the sun. So as well as IE, and Edge, Pale Moon renders the sun that way as well. In Firefox it's fine. I may ask at the Pale Moon forum why it does that and see if it can be fixed.

Question: The URL of http://www.calendrier-lunaire.net/ is only HTTP. I see your site still renders in HTTPS without a mixed content warning, but I don't see a HTTPS version of that URL. Will that be an issue? Are you using something that fixes that or is there something else going on in the background of this extension where the HTTP link is not a factor for a mixed content warning?
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

John connor wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 amNote, I use Pale Moon as my browser and it too shows a black box around the sun. So as well as IE, and Edge, Pale Moon renders the sun that way as well. In Firefox it's fine. I may ask at the Pale Moon forum why it does that and see if it can be fixed.
Look in sunspot.css to see how I hide the square background of the sunspot image. Internet Expolder and Edge ignore this code though which is why it shows in those browsers. Pale Moon must share the same codebase.
John connor wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am Question: The URL of http://www.calendrier-lunaire.net/ is only HTTP. I see your site still renders in HTTPS without a mixed content warning, but I don't see a HTTPS version of that URL. Will that be an issue? Are you using something that fixes that or is there something else going on in the background of this extension where the HTTP link is not a factor for a mixed content warning?
I proxify the moon image via https://images.weserv.nl/ look in moonphase.js for that. I use js files to add a timestamp to each image so they are cached for 1 hour(sun) and one day (moon) respectively.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC4 Sun and moon are now also reduced in size on screens 600px and less

I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Well how be damned. :lol: I never knew such an image proxy existed. Neat you found that and you are able to deliver the image over HTTPS.

I don't know code, so looking at the css wouldn't give me any information. But from what you said, it sounds like Pale Moon does ignore that so the black shows around the image. I haven't inquired on this at the Pale Moon site yet. But I have a felling it will be something that's not fixed. Or perhaps it's all part of how the browser works and the Dev won't bother to fix it.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

John connor wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:24 am <snip> But I have a felling it will be something that's not fixed. Or perhaps it's all part of how the browser works and the Dev won't bother to fix it.
Thats what I would expect their reaction to be.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC5 Bug Fix

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC7 Now Available Calendrier Lunaire who provide the moon image is now a secure site so the Proxy host is no longer needed and has been removed. Image Image

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: [3.2][3.3][RC] Cosmos Banner

Post by HiFiKabin »

3.2.0-RC8 Now Available Image Image

Slight code tweak
Compatible with my Google Search Extension in the NavBar and Index positions. Placing it in the Header upsets the layout and is removed from the display although the switch will still exist in the ACP.

Return to “Extensions in Development”