Problem with a user..

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
GabeC94

Problem with a user..

Post by GabeC94 »

If this isn't the right place to post this, sorry.

I have a user on my board who keeps making new accounts, using different IPs and different email addresses. He is using a program called Tor and it's nearly impossible to get any information off him, all his emails are fake emails using some quick email creation site.

So far I've banned around 6 of his accounts, but he keeps posting topics with overly obscene pictures along with aimbots (our site is a gaming league), which are strictly against the rules.

The only thing we know how to do is to keep deleting his topics and banning him before others see them. Is there anything else that I could do to stop the madness?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Problem with a user..

Post by KevC »

What version of phpBB are you running?

With the latest one you can add a Q&A question on registration that should fox any registration bots. You can also hide topics/posts from new members until they reach a predefined post count.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

I'm running phpBB 3.0.7-PL1. I just added a Q&A for the registration. The problem with hiding topics/posts from new members until they reach a certain post count is that I wouldn't like this feature for all users, just this one person who is causing trouble.

Is there any way that I can put his account into a certain group where he can make as many posts as he wants, but no other user except the administration can see his posts? That should trick him for a while...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Yes and no. The problem is when a user is in the queue and they post, they get a message telling them so.

Hopefully the Q&A field will stop it because if he's using a registration bot, it won't be able to read the question to be able to determine the right answer, so the registration fails.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

Alright...I also enabled the "Validated X_FORWARDED_FOR header" option in the ACP, so if his IP changes while he's visiting the site I presume it would log him out.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I have an idea. Can I have a link to your board please?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Depending on how much work you want to do, it is possible to have categories and forums with identical names. This means that you could completely duplicate your existing category and forum structure, giving a No access role to all the duplicate categories and forums for the Registered users group. Leave them empty of topics or posts.

Then, identify the username and id being used by the troll. Give the troll a Standard access role in Users' forum permissions for all the duplicate categories and forums and a Never Can see forum User's forum permission for the actual categories and forums. Might want to disable the forum while you are switching permissions.

Now, make a global announcement In one of the duplicate forums:
Due to spam we have decided to remove all topics and posts and start over. The old topics and posts will still be visible to Guests but once you login you will no longer see them. Feel free to start new topics and posts.
Or something like that.

This also assumes you do not allow Guest posting in the original categories and forums.

The result of all this will be that your troll will see the forum as normal until he logs in, at which point all the categories and forums will be there, but empty. He is free to post away. No one will answer him and no one will see him.

Like it?

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

That's pretty damn genius....I just don't know if I want to spend the time configuring all the permissions (which would be a pain for so many user groups). If the problem continues I guess I'll have to do this, thanks a ton for the suggestion.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

What time? The Registered users get no access to the dupes. Troll gets Never Can see forum to the originals and standard access to the dupes. I could do it in 5 minutes.

GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

I mean it would work...but for all I know he already has another account with a different IP and he acts like a normal user on that account. Next time he makes an account, I won't ban him but I'll try this out and post how it turns out.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Cool. You can set up the mirror categories and folders now, though.

GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

One problem that might arise....the Troll will see that there are new posts when he visits the site as a guest...he'll also find it unusual that after a few days there are still no posts in any of the categories.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, but it will still mess with his head.

Or, take a look at this - http://3di.comuv.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105&start=0

GabeC94

Post by GabeC94 »

Hahahaha. That's freaking epic! I didn't see that while sifting through the mod database :lol:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”