Too many connections [1040] - I need a fix a novice can do..

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Vyrosian

Too many connections [1040] - I need a fix a novice can do..

Post by Vyrosian » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 am

I need assistance with this error, it is plaguing my message boards and has done so since I upgraded to 3.0

I am a notice with SQL and PHP so anyone that could assist me would be very much adored.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Too many connections [1040] - I need a fix a novice can do..

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:11 am

You need to take this up with your host.

You're probably on shared hosting with many other sites on the same server. The total for that server is being exceeded.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

pacop2

Post by pacop2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 am

I have the same error one time a week or two weeks. With phpbb3. In the same server with phpbb2 I had not this kind of error never.

pacop2

Post by pacop2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 am

pacop2 wrote:I have the same error one time a week or two weeks. With phpbb3. In the same dedicated server with phpbb2 I had not this kind of error never.

Vyrosian

Post by Vyrosian » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 pm

I have researched (some) on the Internet. It appears that this is a flaw within php3.0 and not my host. I ran a php2.X forum for years and never had this issue until I upgraded.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Would you please point us in the direction of material pointing out the flaw in phpBB? There have been many users reporting this problem and the developers have considered it, I believe, so hard information would be helpful to all.

And just to clarify, Kevin wasn't suggesting that there is a flaw with your host. Many hosts offering shared hosting are successfully running phpBB and at least some cPanel installations offer phpBB 3 installations, so Kevin's suggestion is for the purpose of discussing the matter with your host, just as you are here. They may have concrete comments about the problem since they are the ones who decide the allocation of their resources. In my case, I am aware of at least one host who seems to have made whatever adjustments were necessary without my involvement, since the 1040 errors I was experiencing with phpBB 3 stopped before the release of 3.0.1.
We should talk less, and say more.

jimdunn

Post by jimdunn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:24 pm

I am aware of at least one host who seems to have made whatever adjustments were necessary without my involvement
I have had the experience with a particular host (who I no longer use) on a couple of occasions that the response is "We have checked, and there is no problem". Then the problem mysteriously disappears - which I have always assumed meant they had a policy of moving you to a different (less overloaded) mysql server when you reported problems, but that they weren't too keen to admit it. ;)

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Yeah, I don't know the dynamics of it all. I guess some hosts, to be competitive, are running pretty tight margins so, like airlines, may overbook now and then and on occasion get "caught." Others may have more room to work so can shuffle their clients around at the back end. And I get the feeling that more hosts than we imagine are really resellers and have little control over the data center where their customer's sites are hosted. I work with one host who clearly is in this situation, though they are very responsive and helpful when issues arise. It's just clear that they don't own the servers.

Vyrosian

Post by Vyrosian » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Thank you all, I will investigate further. I am not pointing fingers, I am just trying to find a soluton :oops:

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:25 pm

As are/were many before you :) . If there's a problem with phpBB 3, or a problem with phpBB 3 in certain server environments, my impression is that the developers will need more information about it than they've been given so far. They are good guys, I think, and are willing to look at any credible hard information we can give them. The error itself is just too vague to nail down a cause and "a fix a novice can do." :mrgreen:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”