Migrate v2.x from panther 10.3 to leopard server 10.5

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
afterhours

Migrate v2.x from panther 10.3 to leopard server 10.5

Post by afterhours »

Hello,

Has anyone successfully migrated the v2.x board from php4/mysql3 to a leopard server running php5 and mysql 5.0.45 (current version as of 10.5.3)?

Or, am I better off upgrading the v2 installation on the current machine to v3.x, then moving the v3.x boards to the Leopard server?
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: Migrate v2.x from panther 10.3 to leopard server 10.5

Post by drathbun »

In my opinion, change only one thing at a time. Otherwise you'll have more problems trying to identify and fix issues.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
afterhours

Post by afterhours »

Thanks. Yes, that would go without saying, I suppose. But doesn't suck to remind me.

OK, the migration on the php4 machine from 2.0.21 to 2.0.23 to 3.0.1 went without a hitch.

If the dbs and field names are retained from 3.0.1 in php4/mysql3 to php5, then will this work:

Conduct the install of 3.0.1 on the php5 machine, then simply import the database from the archive export off the other older server? Or is there a tutorial/solution/readme on this already?
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Knowledge Base - Moving Your phpBB3 Forum To A New Host Using phpMyAdmin.

As this has evolved into a phpBB3 Support question, I'm moving your topic to the correct forum.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
afterhours

Post by afterhours »

afterhours wrote:Thanks. Yes, that would go without saying, I suppose. But doesn't suck to remind me.

OK, the migration on the php4 machine from 2.0.21 to 2.0.23 to 3.0.1 went without a hitch.

If the dbs and field names are retained from 3.0.1 in php4/mysql3 to php5, then will this work:

Conduct the install of 3.0.1 on the php5 machine, then simply import the database from the archive export off the other older server? Or is there a tutorial/solution/readme on this already?
I'll answer some of my own questions here.

After migrating on the old server from 2.0.21 -> 2.0.23 -> 3.0.1, I did a clean install of 3.0.2 on the new server. Created the same database name and user on the new server. Once the virgin 3.0.2 was installed completely, went back to the old server (running apache 2.0.52, php 4, mysql 4), and did a database backup to my desktop (.gz) Back to the new server, went in via phpmyadmin and imported the .gz backup as a mysql4 archive to the newly-created same database on the fresh install. Had to recreate the search index from the acp -- otherwise the migration went fine.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”