I'm having some troubles with my phpBB3 board.
Sometimes, when posting messages with special characters (like accents), the mysteryous "squares with question-mark for unicode unknown characters" appear.
The funny thing is that there seem to be no common pattern in such events: dates, times, users, tags used, message contents, server load, moon phases, nothing that I could think of.
Sometimes it happens to myself, sometimes to users; it is generally sufficient to edit the message, correct it and resubmit (identical to the original) to fix it; rarely you need to edit it twice.
The only common pattern is the position of the squares, when the problem happens:
- 1st accented letter: no issue;
- 2nd accented letter: square immediately after it;
- 3rd accented letter: square 2 characters after it;
- Nth accented letter: square N-1 characters after it.
Each square replaces two (sometimes three? not sure) other characters. The special characters themselves show correctly.
I found a couple of probably related topics: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=579825
and http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=559587
, but neither has a resolutive answer.
- PHP 5.2.5;
- MySQL 5.0.51a (no MySQLi extension);
- tables are utf8_bin, MyISAM engine;
- posts table is about 25MB (around 10K posts);
- board is a phpBB2 upgraded;
- issue has been present since I use phpBB3 (earlier 3.0.RC1, now 3.0.0), never ceased and never got worse;
- if you need other info, just ask.
Thanks for your attention.