Building Search Index

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Swader

Building Search Index

Post by Swader » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 pm

hey guyz,

I am using phpBB 3.0.1 and had to delete the search index due to some massive changes i had to do via mysql.

Now I am trying to rebuild the search index but it just wont. It just keeps timing out.
Is there a way I can do in the background? I have shell access so i can even run a script or something.

Anybody can help me out?

Thanks.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Re: Building Search Index

Post by pentapenguin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Did you try asking your host if they will increase the timeout and maximum memory limits for you.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

skygirl

Post by skygirl » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:22 pm

I am having a similar problem on my board and I would appreciate some advice. I think I actually made things worse and may have to delete my index and start again, but before I do that I want to try everything I can to save the work I have already done because it has taken two days already.

Sunday morning: made my phpBB 2.0 forum read only to members and backed up the database and files

Sunday morning: successfully installed phpBB 3.0 and loaded all the posts etc (completed the install wizard)

Sunday afternoon: started indexing process (ACP -> Maintenance -> Search). The indexing status window would pop up and say 'Indexing is in progress' and the main browser window would go all white. I came here and saw a thread about this saying that the white screen indicates an error and that no indexing is actually happening, so I began to close both windows and restart indexing every time I got the white screen.

Monday morning: my forum was still read only and the indexing was still going slow. At this stage only about 3,000/24,000 posts were indexed. Did more research here and saw that others had experienced delays and decided to just wait it out, and restart the indexing process every time I got the white screen.

Monday afternoon: got desperate to find out if there is any progress or if there is a faster solution, so I searched a bit more here and saw the suggestion above to increase the timeout and maximum memory limits. Changed these settings on our server and had no better luck. Continued running indexing and starting again when the white screen showed up.

Monday night: indexing through post 6,000/24,000 completed before I gave up for the day.

Tuesday morning: read somewhere here about possibly changing the backend search option to Fulltext mysql and decided to give that a try. Went into ACP -> Search settings and changed it to fulltext mysql and then went to Maintenance -> Search and stopped the current process. Tried building a new search index under the Fulltext mysql area, and got an error. Tried to go back to fulltext native, and thought maybe I would have better luck if I cancelled the process and see how far the progress was.

Long story short, I now have the following in my Search Index page in ACP:

Fulltext native (active)
Total number of indexed words: 16581 Total number of word to post relations indexed: 83769

When I try to do a search on my forum, I get very few results or none at all, so the process clearly hasn't finished - so what do I need to do? Delete the Fulltext native index I have now and start over? There isn't an option to restart the process where I left off.

I suspect this is what I have to do, but once I restart how do I resolve the rediculous delays and white screens during the indexing process? My board has been offline for two days already and starting over will mean another three days at least at this rate - and a whole lot of closing and reopening browser windows.

Can I open the board to new posts while I sort out this indexing problem? Or will new posts in the interim delay the indexing when I do finally find a process that works?

Sorry for the long-winded post, I just wanted to include all the details I could think of to describe how I got here. I would appreciate any advice to get my board finally up and running ;)

ahayiroglu

Post by ahayiroglu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 am

I had the same problem during installation and I let my hosting company know about the situation, they temporarily rised the timeout limit and it solved the problem... Hope it also helps you to solve your problems.

Swader

Post by Swader » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:06 am

@skygirl.. It was the same with me and as you said.. raising the timelimit didnt help either.

So what I did was.. I built the index on my localhost and then replace the db.

If you wanna know how to go abt that.. Here are the steps..

Install Xampp. Get it here. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
Install and run it. You would only need Apache and MySql running.
Download your forum db and add it on your localhost.
start the search indexing.
once its done
backup your db and then replace it on the server.

If you want detailed help then you can contact me on msn : swader4u@hotmail.com

Goodluck.

skygirl

Post by skygirl » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks everyone for these suggestions! I appreciate the contact information Swader, I'll contact you if I have questions during that process :)

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:06 pm

I just testet by reindexing fultext native on one of my hosts.
I get the same error:
User 'stoker4' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 100000) [1226]

But if I wait x minutes and hit the browser update button, it will continue indexing.
So it is possible, it just takes a bit longer.
I am done with phpBB

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”