3.0.2 Database update server error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
RoomZ

3.0.2 Database update server error

Post by RoomZ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 am

Your board's URL: Private (will PM if needed)
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.1
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)?
Trying to update from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2

Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? No
MODs you have installed:
- Instant Post Redirect
- Evil Quick Reply
- Group positioning

When the problem started: When I tried executing database_update.php
Your level of expertise (be honest): Beginner

Template(s) used: subSilver
Language(s) used: English
Version of PHP used: 5.2.6
Database and version used: MySQL 5.0.51a-community

Problem:
I was trying to update to the latest release (3.0.2) I used the "Changed Files Only" package, everything is done and triple checked however when I try to run /install/database_update.php it loads for a while then it gives a server error (connection closed / no response error).

At first I thought its a time out problem so I contacted my host they've tried everything nothing worked so they told me I should open a support ticket.

This is the message from my host:
I have tried to proceed with the update process and it is failing with sometimes multiple non-related errors and sometimes just failing of execution, I have tried to listen to the PHP requests coming and going over this process can't figure out what is exactly causing this failure so as phpBB is a free board software I suggest you open a community support ticket with phpBB http://www.phpbb.com/community/ asking them of how to proceed.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm basically stuck, all PHP files are updated, I just need to update the database. (database_update.php)

Last question, do I have to use database_update.php? where can I find the SQL queries to run it directly in phpmyadmin, or is that even possible?

Thank you.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: 3.0.2 Database update server error

Post by karlsemple » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:45 am

Did you check the server error logs to see if any errors are being logged which may indicate why the script is stopping?

kinder999

Post by kinder999 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Hello. Have resemble similar problem. In the logs did not write. Can I get sql file that would execute him in phpmyadmin?

Sorry for my English

RoomZ

Post by RoomZ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:30 pm

karlsemple wrote:Did you check the server error logs to see if any errors are being logged which may indicate why the script is stopping?
Don't think there were any to indicate the problem, my host would've noticed it I guess, I have no idea what to do now, other than asking for the SQL queries to do it manually.

I thought it would've been provided in "Code Changes" package, but it wasn't, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

maraz

Post by maraz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:33 pm

I think this happens mostly with big forums - 3.0.2 database update changes posts table as far as I know, which in my case is very big (not to mention Fulltext mysql search index, which makes it even bigger) and so the database_update.php always times out with blank page (usually after 60 seconds). I was too looking for SQL queries to do it manually, but they are nowhere to be found...
Last edited by maraz on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoomZ

Post by RoomZ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Same, I've looked everywhere couldn't find anything, I just hope that someone would be able to either provide a solution or the manual SQL update.

RoomZ

Post by RoomZ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:38 pm

bump?

maraz

Post by maraz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Ok, this is what I did to complete database update (only do this, if you have some experience with php and mysql, and of course after making backup of forum database):

First you have to check what has been already done by database_update.php. Even if this script ended with blank page or whatever error, database server should complete the step, that caused database_update.php to stop. In my case it was increase of storage capacity of post_subject column in posts table (phpbb_posts) from VARCHAR(100) to VARCHAR(255). When I logged to phpmyadmin, post_subject in posts table showed VARCHAR(255), so this was already done. Next step was similar increase of storage capacity, but in privmsgs table and in phpmyadmin this column was still VARCHAR(100), so this wasn't done. Knowing this I tried to skip the step that was already done and most probably was causing database_update.php to stop. This was done by modifying file database_update.php.

Original part:

Code: Select all

// Changes from 3.0.2-RC1 to 3.0.2-RC2
	'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
		'change_columns'	=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
				'draft_subject'		=> array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
				'forum_last_post_subject' => array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
			POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
				'post_subject'			=> array('STEXT_UNI', '', 'true_sort'),
			),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
				'message_subject'		=> array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
After modification:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			//POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			//	'post_subject'			=> array('STEXT_UNI', '', 'true_sort'),
			//),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
After that database_update.php finished work without problems and as far as I know, all database changes from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 were completed on my forum. At least everything works, so if you are desperate to try my solution before phpbb developers would do something about this, then go ahead, but with extra caution, so you don't mess-up your forum 8-)

GTunney

Post by GTunney » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 pm

maraz wrote:Ok, this is what I did to complete database update (only do this, if you have some experience with php and mysql, and of course after making backup of forum database):

First you have to check what has been already done by database_update.php. Even if this script ended with blank page or whatever error, database server should complete the step, that caused database_update.php to stop. In my case it was increase of storage capacity of post_subject column in posts table (phpbb_posts) from VARCHAR(100) to VARCHAR(255). When I logged to phpmyadmin, post_subject in posts table showed VARCHAR(255), so this was already done. Next step was similar increase of storage capacity, but in privmsgs table and in phpmyadmin this column was still VARCHAR(100), so this wasn't done. Knowing this I tried to skip the step that was already done and most probably was causing database_update.php to stop. This was done by modifying file database_update.php.

Original part:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
After modification:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			//POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			//),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
After that database_update.php finished work without problems and as far as I know, all database changes from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 were completed on my forum. At least everything works, so if you are desperate to try my solution before phpbb developers would do something about this, then go ahead, but with extra caution, so you don't mess-up your forum 8-)
How do you check what has already been done?

maraz

Post by maraz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:20 pm

GTunney wrote:How do you check what has already been done?
By checking mysql table details of my board in phpmyadmin or any mysql client (mysql query browser etc). If you don't know how to check this, it's better not to use my solution.

RoomZ

Post by RoomZ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Thank you maraz, I did the exact same thing as you did lol I wish you replied sooner :P, the update is virtually impossible to be done for big boards, I've made a topic about it in discussions, check if you're interested.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1066595

vphunk

Post by vphunk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 am

Does anyone have the manual sql queries needed (and a lists of changes we should check on our database?) so we do not need to run database_update.php again(for the ones that already got a script time out/failed query message).

figo

Post by figo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 am

yes I am having the exact same problem as the original poster of this mod.

My forum is this
http://pfutebol.com/forum/

I have a fairly large board
Total posts 141048 • Total topics 3491 • Total members 486

and I get the same problem running the install/database_update.php file

I first uploaded all my edited files as per instruction, went to run that file

It takes me to a progress page, but then the page just stops, theres no progress bar or anything.

Can we work a way around this through php admin? why does the execution file not work properly? now im worried.

should i be purging the cache and refreshing the styles as well? or will this update file do this thing for me???

Please help, im just a lil frustrated cause i spent like 1 and a half hours making all the file edits, and i triple checked them for accuracy

Also, i did the mods according to the downloaded version as of Jul 10. could this have an effect on it?

figo

Post by figo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:40 pm

maraz wrote:Ok, this is what I did to complete database update (only do this, if you have some experience with php and mysql, and of course after making backup of forum database):

Original part:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
After modification:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			//POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			//),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
Ok i got a question, when lookin through my tables, should the "Type" for applicable fields be set to "VARCHAR(255)"??? because i see some VARCHAR(100) numbers all over the place,as well as 32, 8, etc. and then there are some that have 255

figo

Post by figo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:37 am

figo wrote:

Original part:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
After modification:

'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
			//POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			//),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
			),
Ok i got a question, when lookin through my tables, should the "Type" for applicable fields be set to "VARCHAR(255)"??? because i see some VARCHAR(100) numbers all over the place,as well as 32, 8, etc. and then there are some that have 255

ok I just managed to fix everything

but heres an interesting note for u to ponder.

I did the quoted edits.

However, using internet explorer, the page stalled.

But under firefox browser the page loaded instantly!

go figure

Everything works fine now

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”