3.0.2 Database update server error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
GTunney

Re: 3.0.2 Database update server error

Post by GTunney » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:22 am

This should reallt be stickied and addressed by phpbb instead of just being ignored.

COME ON PHPBB, SORT IT OUT, US PEOPLE WITH BIG BOARDS NEED UPDATING.

:D

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Not gonna lie, I'm always scared to do updates on my board. Its stats stand like this: Total posts 77114 • Total topics 1937 • Total members 107 and it always seems like doing anything to it is a major ordeal. I love phpBB, don't get me wrong, and I think you guys are doing a great job, I'm just real scared to update, upgrade, or otherwise mess with my board.
Follow me to Alphabet City

Trinity

Post by Trinity » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm

maraz wrote:Ok, this is what I did to complete database update (only do this, if you have some experience with php and mysql, and of course after making backup of forum database):

First you have to check what has been already done by database_update.php. Even if this script ended with blank page or whatever error, database server should complete the step, that caused database_update.php to stop. In my case it was increase of storage capacity of post_subject column in posts table (phpbb_posts) from VARCHAR(100) to VARCHAR(255). When I logged to phpmyadmin, post_subject in posts table showed VARCHAR(255), so this was already done. Next step was similar increase of storage capacity, but in privmsgs table and in phpmyadmin this column was still VARCHAR(100), so this wasn't done. Knowing this I tried to skip the step that was already done and most probably was causing database_update.php to stop. This was done by modifying file database_update.php.

Original part:

Code: Select all

// Changes from 3.0.2-RC1 to 3.0.2-RC2
	'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
		'change_columns'	=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
				'draft_subject'		=> array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
				'forum_last_post_subject' => array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
			POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
				'post_subject'			=> array('STEXT_UNI', '', 'true_sort'),
			),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
				'message_subject'		=> array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
After modification:

Code: Select all

// Changes from 3.0.2-RC1 to 3.0.2-RC2
	'3.0.2-RC1'		=> array(
		'change_columns'	=> array(
			DRAFTS_TABLE			=> array(
				'draft_subject'		=> array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
			FORUMS_TABLE	=> array(
				'forum_last_post_subject' => array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
			//POSTS_TABLE		=> array(
			//	'post_subject'			=> array('STEXT_UNI', '', 'true_sort'),
			//),
			PRIVMSGS_TABLE	=> array(
				'message_subject'		=> array('STEXT_UNI', ''),
			),
After that database_update.php finished work without problems and as far as I know, all database changes from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 were completed on my forum. At least everything works, so if you are desperate to try my solution before phpbb developers would do something about this, then go ahead, but with extra caution, so you don't mess-up your forum 8-)
This completely worked for me. Thank you!
Shop smart, shop S-mart.

Hittman

Post by Hittman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Any estimate what the magic number is - how big does the database have to be before this is a problem?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:11 pm

This topic has now been so badly multi-hijacked as to be unusable.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

dccb

Post by dccb » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks maraz

Your tip did the trick for me too! :mrgreen:

sdlawrence

Post by sdlawrence » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:26 am

dccb wrote:Thanks maraz

Your tip did the trick for me too! :mrgreen:
SAME HERE. Big thumbs up to maraz.

For the record, it is NOT "virtually impossible to be done for big boards", unless you qualify it with, "...using the auto-updater tool as-is".

I have an ENORMOUS board (500+ MB, 180,000+ posts), and maraz' tip worked like a charm. Once I modified the database_update.php file, and restarted the process, the remainder of the installation finished very quickly. The only thing stopping my upgrade from continuing were those three lines maraz blanked off/rem'd out with the double forward slashes (//) in his file. That's where my database schema change was hung up, and I was at exactly the same point described (double checked via phpMyAdmin).

THANK YOU MARAZ!

nonegiven

Post by nonegiven » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:15 am

Is there a published list of changes that the updater makes?

I was asking for this on the other topic below. I too have had failures, white screen, stalls on the grey ACP. I have no idea how many changes have been made and am very concerned. Glad to read that I am not alone here.

I also have Evil's 'Quick reply' is that causing an issue? It would be easy enough to take out and put back if that helps.

phpBB3 Databse update, bad for big boards? Roomz, may be you can spellcheck that title so others will find it easier in the future?

nonegiven

Post by nonegiven » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:34 am

maraz wrote:First you have to check what has been already done by database_update.php. Even if this script ended with blank page or whatever error, database server should complete the step, that caused database_update.php to stop. In my case it was increase of storage capacity of post_subject column in posts table (phpbb_posts) from VARCHAR(100) to VARCHAR(255). When I logged to phpmyadmin, post_subject in posts table showed VARCHAR(255), so this was already done. Next step was similar increase of storage capacity, but in privmsgs table and in phpmyadmin this column was still VARCHAR(100), so this wasn't done.
I can confirm that when I looked at my table, we had exactly the same symptoms.

It would be good to have a list to check/do manually.

jezza2243

Post by jezza2243 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 am

Same problem here. Likely to be the size of the database.

I've just updated two forums. First one NO PROBLEM whatsoever.

Then uploaded the other one and bang ! After the database update.php... INTERNAL ERROR 500. I ve tried tenth of times and nothing....

This thread seems to go all over the place...what the solution, any patches ?

Thanks

J.

nonegiven

Post by nonegiven » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:59 am

In my case, I discovered the problem was a default setting set by my hosts that was causing a time out doing browser based instructions.

I spent days pulling my hair out on this ... I guess I should have asked sooner :( .

Ultimately, I had to ask my ISP tech support to do the upgrade/restore from a backuped up database manually from their end. I am glad to say they did freely. YMMV.

So the moral of this tale is folks ... if you have done everything right check in with your ISP.

nbarclay

Post by nbarclay » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:36 pm

I have a large board (500mb+) on shared hosting (yes, I know I need a dedicated server) and encountered this exact problem. Problem is I created a monster and never thought it would get this big/popular.

maraz - you just saved my life and community. Thanks!

Note to phpbb: Have been happily using phpbb over competitor solutions since 2.0.2 or so. Like many others, I am now firmly in the 'paranoid to upgrade' camp. Increasing automation in the product upgrading is great, but having things fall apart around you mid-upgrade does nothing for my confidence.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:43 pm

As this is no longer a useful support topic, I am closing it.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”