default "Notify me when a reply is posted"

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
nguyencongminh

Re: default "Notify me when a reply is posted"

Post by nguyencongminh »

mrgtb wrote:Here is how to do this, so it works fine without any mods being installed. And I think this is the best and correct way.

Like topic starter said, change this file first:

Code: Select all

OPEN
includes/functions_user.php

FIND
'user_notify' => 0,

REPLACE WITH
'user_notify' => 1,
Now to make it work you also have to change your database setting from: 0 to 1.

To do that, go into your phpAdmin and click the database field on the left side called (phpbb_users) near the bottom.

You should now be shown a new page that list loads of setting that you can put a TICK in a box on the left. Find the one called (user_notify) and put a tick in the box, and then click the "PENCIL" icon on the right of it (on the same line) to edit it.

Now in the box called (Default2), which is above the (extra) box, change the number from 0 to 1and save it.

Thats it!
I did it sucessfully, but when i post new topic, the default value is 0 ?
Creating Communities

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Well I just tested it by creating a demo account, then logging-on with that to start a new thread, then logging-off and logging-on again with another account to make a reply. And all works fine. I get emails on both accounts if I reply back using each account.

And the new demo account I created is set to recieve emails notiy by default on new threads.

So I'm not sure what your doing wrong

highesp

Post by highesp »

mrgtb wrote:Here is how to do this, so it works fine without any mods being installed. And I think this is the best and correct way.

OPEN

FIND
'user_notify' => 0,

REPLACE WITH
'user_notify' => 1,

To do that, go into your phpAdmin and click the database field on the left side called (phpbb_users) near the bottom.

You should now be shown a new page that list loads of setting that you can put a TICK in a box on the left. Find the one called (user_notify) and put a tick in the box, and then click the "PENCIL" icon on the right of it (on the same line) to edit it.

Now in the box called (Default2), which is above the (extra) box, change the number from 0 to 1and save it.

Thats it!
Works great for me (phpbb 3.04) Thanks !!

rpankoe

Post by rpankoe »

I am a little confused by this.. Not sure if what you have posted is what I'm looking for since it's not a "reply" that I'm looking to get notification on. I want to enable the "Subscribe Forum" by default for any new user (or present user) on an Announcements Forum that I created to post new announcements. Is there a way for me to enable the "Subscribe Forum" on JUST this forum so that people are notified by email when I post something new in the announcements forum? Thanks for any assistance.

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

1.This is not what you are looking for.
2.What you are looking for will Require a MOD.
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”

Mallette

Post by Mallette »

I would like to add this function. While the poster indicated what those who replied worked for him, I do not know anything about what they modified.

I can handle such things, but know nothing of PHP or where these files are located.

Has this been added to the administrative user options yet?

It should be...one of the most difficult issues in getting a board going is that folks just don't think to go there and check for replies or new posts after the initial excitement. If all new users had auto subscribe initially but could op out if desired through their own User Control Panel, I thing it would be a big benefit to PHPBB.

Dave

rpankoe

Post by rpankoe »

I agree. If it were an option in the administrative control panel to enable the subscribe for a user group on certain forums, that would be good, then the user could disable it through the UCP, or even easier, by just clicking the unsubscribe link in the email, or the "unsubscribe forum" link at the bottom on the forum page.

-Ryan

rpankoe

Post by rpankoe »

If I'm running on SQL2003, from what I'm reading, I can't use phpMyAdmin. SO, I guess I am unable to complete this change for the notify me when a reply is posted. I have changed the php file, but is there another way for me to make the database changes on my SQL2003 databases?

senortim

Post by senortim »

I agree with Ryan; it seems like having an ACP way of sending e-mails by default (with user opt-out) could really help start small boards (with no advertising budget).

Has anyone here tried the Board Watch mod? I'm confused about whether it (or forum watch/topic watch -- are these other mods?) provides this feature on a forum-by-forum basis.

For me, what I really want it one forum for news that acts just like a mail list -- sending new emails to all members (unless opting-out), and a couple of other forums/topics that send emails by default for things like "Welcome to this board" -- at least until the community is well underway.

lowrad

Post by lowrad »

Please excuse my newbie question but I can't seem to find where I'm supposed to make the database changes
Can you do that in the UCP or is it a FTP thing....and if FTP where can I find this
Thanks for anyhelp

I've been trying to figure out how to make it so the responce thing is automaticly checked for abit now...this is very useful information for me

I am VERY new to all this...I was supposed to have some help setting up out off-road clubs website but it has basically gotten left to me...lol

Thanks again for spoonfeeding a newbie and all your guys help in this forum....I've been using this forum for info and this is the first time I've been totally stumped as to what to do.....not that this info isn't easy to follow.lol...Just I can't seem to find where to change the database thingy...lol :lol:

papabrood

Post by papabrood »

I too have the same problem,

OPEN

FIND
'user_notify' => 0,

REPLACE WITH
'user_notify' => 1,

Thats it!
I have done all of this and its still not working, I'm a newbie, not sure what (if anything) i'm doing wrong, please help! :oops: fyi i'm using v3.05

alydhiends

Post by alydhiends »

papabrood wrote:I too have the same problem,

OPEN

FIND
'user_notify' => 0,

REPLACE WITH
'user_notify' => 1,

Thats it!
I have done all of this and its still not working, I'm a newbie, not sure what (if anything) i'm doing wrong, please help! :oops: fyi i'm using v3.05
It works fine for me. Have you purged the cache? It's right when you log in to UCP, find the purge cache button.
Hostgator Coupons:
"ALYDHIENDS" - $9.95 OFF
"ALYDHIENDS25per" - 25% OFF

hugomez

Post by hugomez »

Hi,

First many thanks for all this info, it's great, work fine in my forum, but .... only work in the new registrations. The members already registered before to do the modifications still cannot see "Notify me upon replies by default:" as "YES".

I've changed:

OPEN
FIND
'user_notify' => 0,
REPLACE WITH
'user_notify' => 1,

And also on my data base this:

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_notify = 1 WHERE user_id > 1;

I've purged the forum by my ACP, but this doesn't help.

Any idea??

My forum: http://www.formichino.com/forum/index.php

Many thanks in advance and sorry for my English, this is not my mother tongue.

hugomez

Post by hugomez »

I'm posting again to say that 20 hours later to do the modifications that I explain below, still don´t change the option "Notify me upon replies by default:" to "yes" for my already registered members.

Only work for new registrations.

If somebody can give me a clue, I would try any idea :)

hugomez

Post by hugomez »

I don't want to bother too much posting three times in a row, but I'm keeping the hope that somebody can give me a clue to know, why this doesn't work to me for member already registered.

(Perhaps I didn't understood properly this post and this only work for new members???)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”