Deleting PMs from a single user

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Push Latency

Deleting PMs from a single user

Post by Push Latency »

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to remove all private messages, (most ideally, all of those that are not yet opened, but have been sent), from a single, specific user.

I'd like to retain the topic posts from the user, but I'd like to remove all unopened PMs sent by that user.

In the ACP, there is a setting under Users & Groups / Users Permissions / "No Private Messages". Will this setting handle messages that have been sent but have not yet been opened?

Thank you, in advance.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Deleting PMs from a single user

Post by Brf »

I am pretty sure when you delete a user, it deletes their PMs, including the sent ones.

Push Latency

Post by Push Latency »

Thank you!

My problem is, that I'd like to retain the forum posts, and delete the PMs, (most importantly, the ones which the user sent, but have yet not been opened).

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

When you delete a user, you are given the option of deleting or retaining their posts.

Push Latency

Post by Push Latency »

Brf wrote:When you delete a user, you are given the option of deleting or retaining their posts.
Will deleting the user, but retaining the posts, ensure that the PM's are removed?

Ideally, I'd like to just delete PMs sent by the user, not delete their account, and maintain their forum posts.

If that's not possible, I'd like to delete the user, maintain the topic posts, but delete their sent PMs (again, ideally, the ones which have not yet been opened).

There seems to be some question in general about this functionality:

Cf. Topic: "Will deleting a user also delete his PMs?" (phpbb.com)

Push Latency

Post by Push Latency »

Reference for future trouble-shooters of this issue:

I could technically strong-arm what I need to do, by changing the disabled user's password, logging into their account, deleting PMs in the Outbox, and leaving the account generally disabled.

I just wonder if there is a less invasive, less manual way to do it.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”