Identify User From IP???

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sfreemanPHP

Identify User From IP???

Post by sfreemanPHP » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:11 pm

We have a forum that is private and limited to a max of about 400 possible members---

We do allow members to remain anonymous while in the forum, however admin must verify their identity as a member of the group first --

Sometimes users will use a Yahoo or gmail account and use a cryptic user name so that we cannot determine who they are-- so we ask, and they all cheerfully give admin the necessary info---except one---

I see the IP that they registered from -- and I am pretty sure I know what agency they are with--- but it checking this out, I see that I have three users who all have the same IP address that they registered from--- how is that possible???

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Identify User From IP???

Post by SamG » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Static IPs are the exception, not the rule. Most ISP subscribers "share" their IP with other subscribers to the same ISP, as they're distributed dynamically. In this case, it seems like you have members who have their ISP in common.

The only way to identify the user in such cases is to have the ISP determine who was using X IP at Y time, something they're unlikely to do without legal proceedings.
We should talk less, and say more.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:31 pm

To add to this, it can happen when people have the same ISP, or use the same internet cafe, or go to the same university, or work for the same company, or live in the same household.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

sfreemanPHP

Post by sfreemanPHP » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:33 pm

In this case, it is a government office--- so I do not think they would share computers, but probably could have the asame IP-- thanks!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 pm

Depending on the proxy server setup, all the users in the office could have the same IP.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

sfreemanPHP

Post by sfreemanPHP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Yeah, it looks like you are correct--- wonder how that can be--- several users all registered from the same IP address??? oh well, doesn't really matter--- thanks for your help!

jimdunn

Post by jimdunn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:03 am

sfreemanPHP wrote:wonder how that can be--- several users all registered from the same IP address???
Like this:
I have a static internet IP address, allocated by my ISP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
My router/modem uses that address as its internet address every time it connects.
It uses 192.168.0.254 as its address on my network.

I also have a home network on 192.168.0.x

There are 5 computers on that network and they all use the router to access the internet.
They are, maybe 192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2 etc...

As far as the internet is concerned they are all xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the internet address of the router)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”