Blew up my Discussion Board - need to recover

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jimbaum

Blew up my Discussion Board - need to recover

Post by jimbaum »

After attempting to upgrade from from phpbb3 .01 to .02 via the auto updater, I ran into some problems I posted in a previous post. One thing led to another and my discussion board is completely out of commission.

Prior to this I made a "full backup".

My original installation was in a folder called phpbb3.

I use myhosting.com's application manager to install which currently installs .01.

I have just one mysql data base that uses different prefixes for different installations.

To try to recover, I reinstalled the application to a different folder: phpbb3temp. Then I tried to restore my backup made previously into this new folder. It said it was successful but when I went to look at it, the original structure had not been restored.

Then I tried to reinstall the application to the original folder, but it made me use different mysql prefixes. When I tried to restore the backup, it said it was good, but when I looked the original structure was not restored.

So, now in my mysql data base I have three sets of phpbb3 tables with different prefixes.

I exported my tables that I think have my good info. But now I don't know how to insert the info into either other set of tables.

Also, I have backedup copies of files on my computer hard drive.

So I have files and I have data base back ups but I don't know how to put the pieces together to reconstruct my discussion board with several years of discussions in it.

Anybody want to try to help me?

Thanks!

Jim B.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Blew up my Discussion Board - need to recover

Post by Phil »

You said that the backup did not appear to restore -- were the table prefixes for the test board the same as the ones in the backup? Also, can you check to make sure the backup appears to be intact?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

jimbaum

Post by jimbaum »

I think that's why the backup restoration didn't work. The backup was made when the board was pointing to one set of mysql table prefixes. I tried to restore it to a board that is now pointing to another set of mysql table prefixes.

I'm not sure how to get the backup inserted into the new tables.

You asked if the backup was intact. I'm not sure how to know unless I can get it restored.

Thanks for the reply. Anymore thoughts on my predicament?

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Try editing the config.php of the test board to use the database prefix the old one did. After doing that, you should be able to restore the backup as it is and see if things are functional.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

jimbaum

Post by jimbaum »

That did it!

Thank you, nice friend.

It's so simple.

I'm young, I'm learning. (55)

Jim

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”