How to open a link with new tab in phpBB 3?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
hermitmaster

Re: How to open a link with new tab in phpBB 3?

Post by hermitmaster »

I thought I did, however I was a newbie when I did the edit so it is possible I made a mistake. I will recheck my work. Thanks! :)

*edit*
That was the problem! It must have been replaced with default code after an update. :lol:
Thank you for your help!
mitchelln

Post by mitchelln »

Can't this just be made an option in phpBB3? So many people are asking for it.
dazman76

Post by dazman76 »

Wow, just did a search to find this post. Although I read the KB article, and appreciate the desire to be XHTML compliant, I'm still amazed that this requires code changes to enable it. Can this really not be made an option in the ACP? Every forum I've ever visited, PHPBB-driven or otherwise, opens links in new tabs/windows. It's expected behaviour, so much so that I'd wager a poll of forum users would result in > 90% expecting this behaviour to be default.
stevemaury wrote:rightclick
And what's this all about? :) I also appreciate that repeated requests for a feature can be annoying for a developer, but surely that tells you the option should be enabled by default? It's hardly prudent to drop a one-liner that effectively has the implied word "idiot" at the end of it, when people have perfectly valid complaints. If I'm browsing a forum, and I'm looking at new post 5 of 20, why on earth would I want a link to break my forum browsing? And why would I expect or even assume that right-clicking is the right way to achieve this, when it was already a feature on PHPBB 2.x, and every other forum package out there? Please make this a toggle option in the ACP - you could probably count the number of PHPBB users who actually care about full XHTML compliance for a forum, on just a couple of hands. In this case at least, XHTML compliance = usability fail. It's a golden rule, and pretty high on the list at that. There is rarely a situation where it makes sense for external links to open in the same tab, and this is doubly appropriate for pages destined for full-scale browsers.
mitchelln

Post by mitchelln »

I agree with you 100% dazman76. This should be a standard feature and I simply do not understand why it is being left to a code hack that gets lost every time you do an upgrade.

This is a feature that has been lost since v2 and is being asked for time and time again. As I have stated before, right-click is not a solution. Right-clicks are a pain on touch screen devices.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think this is just down to sheer stubbornness now. :(

The loss of usability to gain absolute technical purity can very often upset and inconvenience your user base. I see it time and time again. Unfortunately coders don't seem to get this and get cross when you challenge decisions such as this one.

We are just trying to help make the software better for the user, which can only be a good thing. Even the most technically brilliant software is nothing without the user base!
RRManager

Post by RRManager »

alienman wrote:I checked out the KB link just now.

I'm completely baffled by the fact that I'm unable to find this in my includes/functions_content.php

Code: Select all

$html    = "$whitespace<!-- $tag --><a$class href=\"$url\">$text</a><!-- $tag -->$append";

**edit***

NEVER MIND!!!! Sorry to waste your time with this stupid post.
Pardon me for having this problem, but I'm not sure I get it.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

RRManager wrote:...
Pardon me for having this problem, but I'm not sure I get it.
Do you mean you are having the same problem?
If yes, just search for

Code: Select all

"$whitespace<!-- $tag --><a$class href=\"$url\">$text</a><!-- $tag -->$append";

It is on line # 624 in an unmodified v3.0.5 file.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
RRManager

Post by RRManager »

Thank you.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”