Too common words - Search problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Coralreef

Too common words - Search problem

Post by Coralreef » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:58 am

This is what i get most of the times upon a search :

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: XXXXXX.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

I tryed redoing my search index and setting the treshold to 3% but still problems....

I have 15704 Topics and 176778 post so it took some time - like 4 or 5 days ? With that many post could the threshold be set to 0 ? Would it help ? Would the search index had to be redone then(and i f so could this be started from like phpmyadmin and then just run til done) ?

What can i do ? I am quite sure this problem came after redoing my search index after i updated to 3.0.2 - are there any search function changes done or ???

THANKS

Coralreef

Re: Too common words - Search problem

Post by Coralreef » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 am

Should maybe say that i have a portal on my page but the search and such is 100% strait phpbb 3.0.2 code ;)

raybeam

Post by raybeam » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:03 pm

I too have the same problem.. Go to http://synchromysticismforum.com/search.php and search for a common word, for example wikipedia and you'll get the same error message as coralreef got..

I lowered the common word treshold-setting in the ACP to 0%, which should disable this behaviour.

I have much more then 100 posts in my forum, so that should not be the problem..

Currently I use Fulltext Native. What are your experiences, what search-engine is the best to use, Fulltext Native or Fulltext MySQL?

Peace

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Common words also come from the language/*/search_ignore_words.php file and if you use fulltext MySql, the MySql stop words will also be included. Also note that the ACP common word threshold only takes effect if there are more than 100 posts.

As to which is better, Fulltext native takes more db space, while on large boards, fulltext MySql may be faster.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

raybeam

Post by raybeam » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm

OK, as I said I have way over 100 posts.

So the search function SHOULD find the word wikipedia since it's not included in the language/*/search_ignore_words.php file. Any ideas why it doesn't?

raybeam

Post by raybeam » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 am

Here's the solution, if anyone else encounters this..

If you make chages to the search function, you need to perform the follwing:

In the ACP, go to :
Maintenance - Database - Search Index - Delete Index, and then you Create Index.

Problem solved.

Michlerish

Post by Michlerish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:32 am

raybeam wrote:Here's the solution, if anyone else encounters this..

In the ACP, go to :
Maintenance - Database - Search Index - Delete Index, and then you Create Index.

Problem solved.
I got "Error 500 - Internal Server Error" while creating index.
:cry:

edit: It appears that, despite the error, I have created the index. I'm not entirely sure if it indexed all posts, but it's at least working now. Thanks!

Flaunt319

Post by Flaunt319 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:54 pm

I've been having exactly the same problem. I followed the instructions above (and similiar ones from another thread) but now when you try a search I get this error message at appear at the top of the page (written right across the top of the forum):

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/search/fulltext_native.php on line 410: Missing argument 15 for fulltext_native::keyword_search(), called in /search.php on line 448 and defined

Any ideas? Real pain not having Search working :(

neerajdang

Post by neerajdang » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 am

I am also getting the following message after submit on search page in my forum.
http://mycareerengine.com/discussion_forums

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: XXXXX.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

Please help me.

neerajdang

Post by neerajdang » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:51 am

I am also getting the following message after submit on search page in my forum.
http://mycareerengine.com/discussion_forums

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: XXXXX.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."

Please help me.

mladiucitelj

Post by mladiucitelj » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 am

Hi!

Can please someone post an answer?! I have the same problem from today!!!

Thank you in advance.

Regards!
Don't forget to clear cache, refresh template, theme and imageset, double check all files :)

My mod: [MODDB] Menu System

neerajdang

Post by neerajdang » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:18 am

Hi raybeam,

Thanks! My problem has been solved by re-creating search index..Also set common word treshold to 50%.

lazyhoboguy

Post by lazyhoboguy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 pm

raybeam wrote:Here's the solution, if anyone else encounters this..

In the ACP, go to :

Problem solved.
This worked for me as well. I set the common word threshold to 0% before recreating the index.

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm

My users have been reporting problems with search, get "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words:" for words that don't seem too common. So I've done some investigation.

Due to a hosting issue, we recently had to restore our database and re-create the index, so it should be current and correct. On our board we have ACP > GENERAL > Search settings: Common word threshold set to 5% and Search backend set to Fulltext native. We have Total number of indexed words: 205949 and Total posts: 335133.

So why does the query below return 395 words marked as common but with less than 5%?

Code: Select all

SET @total = ( SELECT COUNT( * ) 
FROM phpbb_posts ); 
SELECT word_text, ROUND( 100 * word_count / @total , 2 ) AS Pct
FROM phpbb_search_wordlist
WHERE word_common =1
AND word_count < 0.05 * @total 
ORDER BY word_text
LIMIT 0 , 600
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Found the answer, [#PHPBB3-8175] Common words are sticky - phpBB Tracker marked as "Won't Fix" :(. Unfortunately for a board with a significant number of posts, running on a shared server, re-creating the index is time and resource consuming. Took more than a day the last time.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”