Slow Forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ShaneG

Slow Forum

Post by ShaneG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am

Your board's URL: http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/forum/index.php
Version of phpBB3: v3.0.2
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Upgrade from 3.0.1
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? Yes
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: When I changed my forum to the new template style.
Your level of expertise (be honest): Very basic
Template(s) used: http://www.sarkis-webdesign.com/phpbb3_styles.html (brown one)
Language(s) used: Englih

Guys since changing template for my forum it has really crawled to a halt. My previous forum was subsilver but I wanted a change so when I installed and began using this new style slow down occurred.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: Slow Forum

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am

The issue may revolve around file compatibility.
You installed your board via your host which could have unknown file changes.
I suggest contacting the style developer concerning this.

ShaneG

Post by ShaneG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 am

As an add on I have just had a member ask me...
Why does it make me want to update Quicktime every time I look at the MB and then crashes?
This is seriously not good. So basically do you think the template Im using may be flawed?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:58 am

ShaneG wrote:So basically do you think the template Im using may be flawed?
No,
Using a one click host install means the files may have been changes by your host and not be compatible with the style you are using or even the original files for phpBB3 as downloaded from this site.

jimdunn

Post by jimdunn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:08 pm

ShaneG wrote:As an add on I have just had a member ask me...
Why does it make me want to update Quicktime every time I look at the MB and then crashes?
This is seriously not good. So basically do you think the template Im using may be flawed?
Well, yes, that too - because you said prosilver ran fine.
I got that quicktime prompt too - on your previous template.
The new one you just installed seems quicker

But Pit$Bull is right - if you are using files possibly altered by a one-click host install it makes it difficult to impossible to support here, because we don't know what files may be altered - so the advice we give might not work - or even be dangerous.

ShaneG

Post by ShaneG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Strange it seems to be going in fits and giggles.

I believe the problem was I was using an imageset from one of the other installed styles. I changed the image set through ACP and it seemed to speed up.

Then it slowed down again.... when I went back to subsilver... my original forum it was running just the same as the new installed forums in fits and giggles.

Certainly is a strange one.

Where do you recommend I download styles from in order for it to be tweaked to perfection rather than some download of the web.

As you can tell Im pretty new to this malarkey and as a further aside the forum seems to be running ok at the minute??

jimdunn

Post by jimdunn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Styles can be a thorny issue.
Once you install a Custom Style you have altered the functionality of your forum in terms of what the user sees, and how quickly/efficiently it works. (Your data (posts, users etc) is generally safe, though - it lives in your database - and reverting to a default style will usually solve problems caused by a Custom Style)

I always test Styles on a test board before "going live"

You need to make sure the Style is updated to your version of phpBB (3.01, 3.02 etc) or it can cause no end of odd errors when you use an incompatible Style.

You can look here, but check the version number as mentioned, and read the comments in the topic to see if there may be problems/issues with the Style:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=74

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:50 pm

ShaneG wrote:...it seems to be going in fits and giggles.
Just to toss in another thought, I think most of us who use shared hosting (where many sites reside on a single server) find our sites slower at times than usual. It's in the nature of shared hosting to not be completely uniform in performance since the demands on the server can vary significantly and for a variety of reasons.
We should talk less, and say more.

jimdunn

Post by jimdunn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 pm

SamG wrote:I think most of us who use shared hosting (where many sites reside on a single server) find our sites slower at times than usual. It's in the nature of shared hosting to not be completely uniform in performance since the demands on the server can vary significantly and for a variety of reasons.
I have nothing further to add to this discussion right now, other than to say that I just bookmarked SamG's eloquently phrased response above, on the basis that I want to steal it :twisted:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”