stmp email problem with yahoo hosting

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
colinjlyon

Post by colinjlyon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:56 am

ok so here is my problem, i have not been able to get my board to send out any emails. i have tried various setups with the mail, smtp, php, i am hosted by yahoo and i am running the most current ver of PHPBB 3
i know what the problem is but dont know if it is possible to fix it or if i have to either A) change to a different BB, or B)change some magical line of code located in XXXXX_XXXXX.php

the prioblem is that the smtp server requires ssl to send emails.

Code: Select all

Board url :www.viecofuel.com/forum
fresh install of 3.0.2
auto install from wizard
MODs you have installed:none
When the problem started:after install
Your level of expertise (be honest): decent but not amaising. i can find and edit stuff in code files to change what the board will say but know nothing really about writing code.

Additionally, you may wish to provide the following (where applicable)
Template(s) used: Gateway Green
Language(s) used:ENG
Version of PHP used:4.3.11
Database and version used:mysql

Taurolyon

Re: stmp email problem with yahoo hosting

Post by Taurolyon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:03 am

I'm getting a similar error
E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/forum/adm/index.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 13 : Permission denied

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>835</b>: <b>fsockopen(): unable to connect to smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com:465</b><br />

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:45 am

I think you will both find Yahoo is taking anti spam measures and is blocking port 25, you should contact them about this issue.
My ISP is ATT/yahoo and I had to contact them to remove the port 25 block so I could use my domain mail SMTP.

colinjlyon

Post by colinjlyon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:16 am

but how is the port the problem, i have changed the port in the board config to the correct port to yahoo, and it still does not work. i think the problem is the ssl encryption requirement of the smtp server. i have no idea how ssl works though so my question is there any way to make phpbb support ssl smtp? or does it already and i just don't know how to make it work? i have no idea... please help me as i have used a few different boards and most of them work with the email for php but i REALLY like the setup of PHPBB and i dont want ot have to move to another board.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:34 am

colinjlyon,
Since you installed using the Yahoo install wizard you should really contact them for support as these types of installs are not supported on this forum.

Both,
phpBB's mail works without issue on most hosts. It is my opinion you should contact Yahoo support as it is likely their anti SPAM measures causing this.
Another option would be gmail
Check out this topic http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... =616835&st

colinjlyon

Post by colinjlyon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:25 pm

i did not install through yahoos servers, i installed a fresh install of phpbb3 uploaded to my domain with an ftp program. but i will check out gmail non the less. any also try to cal yahoo again. they tell me that they dont support me either as i did not install through them, and even if i did they only support the setup, not troubleshooting

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:40 pm

colinjlyon wrote:i did not install through yahoos servers, i installed a fresh install of phpbb3 uploaded to my domain with an ftp program. but i will check out gmail non the less. any also try to cal yahoo again. they tell me that they dont support me either as i did not install through them, and even if i did they only support the setup, not troubleshooting
Sorry, your topic states

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:43 pm

colinjlyon wrote:i did not install through yahoos servers, i installed a fresh install of phpbb3 uploaded to my domain with an ftp program. but i will check out gmail non the less. any also try to cal yahoo again. they tell me that they dont support me either as i did not install through them, and even if i did they only support the setup, not troubleshooting
Sorry, your topic states
And you stated from wizard
Board url :www.viecofuel.com/forum
fresh install of 3.0.2
auto install from wizard

colinjlyon

Post by colinjlyon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:54 pm

misunderstanding, it was an install that i uploaded with an ftp program to yahoo and ran the PHPBB install wizard. whatever comes up when you have uploaded it and go to www.yoururl/pbpbb3/install

anyhow the problem is that yahoo is only on php 4.x and ssl smtp via php function is not supported until php5.xx thatis the problem with the smtp, i have no idea why the perl mail does not work but i am running SMF now and it seems to work fine.

johnnybiggles

Post by johnnybiggles » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:16 pm

I set up another thread about a VERY similar issue and got NO replies. Anyway, I'm on godaddy and contacted them about this and they gave me the SMTP info which included port 25, but even that didn't work. I told them I only added the SSL this past sunday which apparently is when all email functionality from the board stopped, without error messages or warnings. Is there some file I need to edit to or a database entry to be changed to reflect new SSL or SMTP settings? I was using the board (PHP) email to a hotmail address and now I want to use my own email address (which I also set up Sunday) as the board email. Even the hotmail address didn't work that way. This is killing me because I don't even know if reinstalling the phpBB3 software will solve this. But NOONE can register without the confirmation email to activate their account!! HELP PLEASE

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”