Trace Permission says I, Founder, have permissions I do not

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
suitlocal

Trace Permission says I, Founder, have permissions I do not

Post by suitlocal »

When viewing my Overview form through the ACP, I see I'm a Founder. When I view the Permissions form and click on the Misc tab, however, I see the following:
founder1.jpg
founder1.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Shouldn't I, as a Founder, have everything set to Yes?

When I click on the Trace setting image, I see this:

founder2.jpg
founder2.jpg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 359 times
If I'm reading that correctly, it's saying I should have "Yes" permissions but I very clearly don't.

I click on Set users permissions, select Admin permissions, and then Advanced Permissions. Everything is set to No for all the tabs, save for "Can manage RedBar links". I change that to No and hit the Apply permissions button. But it doesn't do anything. "Can manage RedBar links" is still set to Yes. I try changing it to Never and I can't do that, either. I can change other permissions - I just can't change this one. This makes me think that maybe the requisite SQL was never performed, so I performed the following SQL query:

Code: Select all

"SELECT * FROM ".ACL_OPTIONS_TABLE." WHERE auth_option = 'a_redbar'"
Got this in response:

Code: Select all

array(1) {
  [0]=>
  array(5) {
    ["auth_option_id"]=>
    string(3) "117"
    ["auth_option"]=>
    string(8) "a_redbar"
    ["is_global"]=>
    string(1) "1"
    ["is_local"]=>
    string(1) "0"
    ["founder_only"]=>
    string(1) "0"
  }
}
So I have no clue. Any ideas? I'm not convinced that RedBar is the culprit.
Last edited by suitlocal on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Trace Permission says I, Founder, have permissions I do not

Post by KevC »

There's nothing in phpBB called 'red bar links'. If it's a MOD you've added you should ask about the permissions in the topic or site where you downloaded it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

The problem isn't in RedBar, though - it's in the Permission system. I'll post in the RedBar topic, but honestly, if it is in the Permission system, posting there makes about as much since as me posting about an Apache problem on phpbb.com. That phpBB (and RedBar) demonstrate the problem does not imply that either are responsible.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Nobody gets any permissions by default in phpBB. You must explicitly set them. If you are having problems getting the particular permissions for a MOD to work, try clearing the board cache, and if that fails to work, asking in the MOD topic.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

I have asked and I have cleared the board cache. This, however, does not change the fact that phpBB's Trace Permission feature is telling me I do have access when the Permission tab says I don't. Trace Permissions is a useless feature if it doesn't use the same methods to determine permissions that phpBB, itself, uses.

Go look at RedBar. It does not at all modify any of the files having to do with permissions. So there is atleast one bug that is not due to RedBar, here.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

iWisdom wrote:Nobody gets any permissions by default in phpBB. You must explicitly set them.
That is not true with Founders and Admin permissions. Founders are granted every Admin permission automatically, so there is something wrong with the permisssions somewhere if a Founder is not given a permission.

The mask-trace shows he should have that permission, but the mask shows he does not. That is a contradiction.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Brf wrote:
iWisdom wrote:Nobody gets any permissions by default in phpBB. You must explicitly set them.
That is not true with Founders and Admin permissions. Founders are granted every Admin permission automatically, so there is something wrong with the permisssions somewhere if a Founder is not given a permission.
I believe this applies only to default permissions. I'm not sure about ones that are added by MODs.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

According to acl_cache(), it "force fills" all of the admin permissions for founders.
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

Brf's got it. There's a contradiction and I think that's a phpBB bug - not a RedBar bug.

Also, I updated one of the images because it had my username on the board, which I don't want publically known (that's sort-of why I'm not linking to my board).
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You did clear your forum's cache using the bottom button on the front page of the Admin control panel?
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

I thought I had, but when I tried it just now, it worked :o Guess my memory failed me. Sorry and thanks for the help!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”