Strange Question.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
firsttimer

Strange Question.

Post by firsttimer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Hey all,

I have a kinda strange question and would be glad if anyone could help me out before I go an install a phpbb 3 forum.

My question:

Is there a max limit to the number of members that phpbb can handle I mean can it handle more than 750,00 members joined and any where between 1,000 - 50,000 online at the same time?

Any help with this would be great thanks.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Strange Question.

Post by Brf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:51 pm

This forum handles it fine.

firsttimer

Post by firsttimer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:10 pm

ok cool thanks

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Note, though, to handle that load you will need a fairly powerful server ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

firsttimer

Post by firsttimer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:37 pm

iWisdom wrote:Note, though, to handle that load you will need a fairly powerful server ;)

Thanks any hosts you might suggest. As I am looking for another host for this new site?

gbr1918

Post by gbr1918 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Phew! With that number of users you're going to require a ton of bandwidth and the database is going to get big fast. I hope your site is going to be revenue earning, because it isn't going to be cheap to host. If you seriously think you are going to get those kind of numbers I think you definitely need some professional advice on hosting.
Dave

firsttimer

Post by firsttimer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:56 pm

gbr1918 wrote:Phew! With that number of users you're going to require a ton of bandwidth and the database is going to get big fast. I hope your site is going to be revenue earning, because it isn't going to be cheap to host. If you seriously think you are going to get those kind of numbers I think you definitely need some professional advice on hosting.
Dave

Member wise yes I am expecting that sort of numbers.

Do you have any ideas on a good hoster for that sort of numbers?

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Your best bet would be to ask at http://webhostingtalk.com -- there are also some good unbiased host reviews at http://webhostingjury.com -- note, though, that you'll probably need at least one dedicated server for those members.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

gbr1918

Post by gbr1918 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 pm

No, I definitely don't! The forum I look after has 400 subscribers and most ever online at one time was 49! The sort of thing you're talking about is a few orders of magnitude bigger. The only things I can say for certain is that mySQL can handle big databases really well, and that above a certain size of website it's probably a better economic proposition to own your own servers rather going to a hosting company at all.
Don't suppose that's much help!
Dave

firsttimer

Post by firsttimer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks for the links.

I have alot of space and bandwidth with my hoster at min but I know that they wont be able to take such a big site hence why I asked for help with the hoster side. I am looking at them links now and will post back how it goes thanks again for help.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”