Can't get board emails working on fresh install

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DBM

Can't get board emails working on fresh install

Post by DBM »

Version of phpBB3: 3.0.2
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Fresh
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? No
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: Right away (didn't even get the welcome email on installation)
Your level of expertise (be honest): Three years of experience of running phpBB boards

Additionally, you may wish to provide the following (where applicable)
Template(s) used: prosilver
Language(s) used: English
Version of PHP used: 5.2.5
Database and version used: MySQL(i) 5.0.32-Debian_7etch6

I have installed a fresh phpBB forum on behalf of a friend on a myhosting.com account. Everything is fine apart from the board emailer function, which is not working at all, not even to send out confirmation emails.

I have tried using localhost and SMTP and it's no go with either. With myhosting.com accounts, you use their nameservers and their SMTP servers. I've checked and rechecked the passwords and settings.

When using localhost, the error is "E-mail error
» EMAIL/PHP/mail()
/forum/adm/index.php"

When using SMTP, the error is "E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/forum/ucp.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>835</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.yorkshirepride.com:25 (Connection refused)</b><br />"

DBM

Re: Can't get board emails working on fresh install

Post by DBM »

After a lengthy phone conversation with a myhosting.com support guy, this has been resolved. He was as baffled as I was about what was causing this but it's finally been sorted out.

It was an SMTP authentication issue. The correct settings should have worked, but they didn't. A workaround has been found though.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”