Getting spam on phpbb3.0.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
locus1

Getting spam on phpbb3.0.2

Post by locus1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:00 am

I got spam in my new phpbb3.0.2 forum www.forumbiblico.com . I think I setup it incorrectly because I shouldn’t be getting spammers.
I have enabled all visual confirmation settings, GD captcha, etc. I will appreciate any advice.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Getting spam on phpbb3.0.2

Post by karlsemple » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:05 am

Why should you not be getting spammers? phpBB stops most if not all automatic spam bot registrations when used with the more complex confirmation image. A required custom profile field on registration will also help make registration more "bot proof". How ever there is an increasing army of humans who are being paid to register on board and spam, or once registered the account can be passed to an automatic script to spam, these are the type of spammers it is more or less impossible to stop without making it so hard to register normal users can not sign up.

Are you getting lots of spammers or just the odd one? I ask as your board does not look that busy and normally it is busier board which attract the larger amounts of spammers.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:05 am

The WoW Gold spammers appear to be human spammers, so CAPTCHAs, etc. won't do much to stop them. Try taking a look at this topic and searching this board for "WoW Gold" for further information.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

locus1

Post by locus1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:09 am

I deleted most of the spammers but I get a lot. This is new forum and nobody participate. Do I need to increase the captcha harder?

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:14 am

locus1 wrote:I deleted most of the spammers but I get a lot. This is new forum and nobody participate. Do I need to increase the captcha harder?
You could try, as per iWisdom and myself in the last post, these could be human and increasing the confirmation image will not stop them, read the link iWisdom posted :)

locus1

Post by locus1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:26 am

I noticed spammers register manually and then post spam automatically using their new username. I have another site that I only accept guests and guests need to write the visual confirmation for each one of their post. I do not have spam there.
A solution to this problem could be that REGISTER USERS must write the visual confirmation (Captcha) each time they want to post. At the moment register users has write the visual confirmation once (when they register) but not each time they want to post. We need to have this option.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:34 am

That would serve as nothing but a deterrent for legitimate users who actually want to post -- your best bet is to take a look at the topic I linked to above and search a bit, there's some good advice that prevents them from joining ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:35 am

Not sure doing that is very user friendly but easy enough

Open: posting.php

Find:

Code: Select all

if ($config['enable_post_confirm'] && !$user->data['is_registered'] && $solved_captcha === false && ($mode == 'post' || $mode == 'reply' || $mode == 'quote'))

Replace With:

if ($config['enable_post_confirm'] && $solved_captcha === false && ($mode == 'post' || $mode == 'reply' || $mode == 'quote'))

Find:

if ($config['enable_post_confirm'] && !$user->data['is_registered'] && in_array($mode, array('quote', 'post', 'reply')))

Replace With:

if ($config['enable_post_confirm'] && in_array($mode, array('quote', 'post', 'reply')))

forumace

Post by forumace » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:01 am

For your replacement of...

!$user->data['is_registered']
Lets say we made a check for which group they belonged to first so that not every registered member is subject to seeing the captcha what would be needed? Thanks.
A Detailed Medieval Text Adventure
Do not just read the story, become it, and decide the ending.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”