phpnuke phpbb import to phpbb 3 question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
candykc

phpnuke phpbb import to phpbb 3 question

Post by candykc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:08 pm

I have a phpnuke site that is running phpbb 2.x and lots of users and posts. I then have on a different server, another site that I am converting to that is in phpfox with phpbb3 - fresh, clean install.

How can I import my from my old server all of my users and posts from phpbb2 onto my new server with the fresh install of phpbb3? Thanks.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: phpnuke phpbb import to phpbb 3 question

Post by ameeck » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:18 pm

If you'll look in the 3.0.x Convertors forum, you will find a PHP-NUKE to phpBB3 converter which I have written. Read the instructions carefully and ask for any help in that topic.

candykc

Post by candykc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 pm

thank you but i did a search for this and did not find the converter. do you happen to know where it is located? Thanks.

candykc

Post by candykc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:47 pm

ok, nevermind I found the download for the converter i think. But, i am not sure if i am being clear on what i am trying to do. I don't want to convert my existing phpbb 2.x on my nuke site...i only want to extract (export) the databse info (users and posts) into my new phpbb3 on a different server, not on the same server as existing nuke site.

is the converter for this or how would I go about doing this? I don't want to disturb my existing nuke site as it is still a functioning community till i get the new site up and running. Thanks.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:51 pm

You can only make a conversion on the same webserver, the only thing that can be different are databases, as long as you can connect to both of them.

The converter only pulls data from the forum and imports them into a phpBB3 forum. It doesn't change anything on the old forum.

In your case I would do this: First make a test conversion. Set up a clean install of phpBB3 on your new webserver and transfer a mirror copy of the old site to it too. Then run the converter and lead it to the mirror test copy. See how the transfer goes and fix any errors. If everything goes well, close your live forum and make the conversion again, so you have consistent data. Then continue with your new phpBB3 forum.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”