Remove Board from Web Server

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
flat_webb

Remove Board from Web Server

Post by flat_webb »

If the board files (in the phpbb3 directory) were all removed from my web server (but the sql database left untouched) would I still be able to re-install phpbb3 in the same location, point it to the existing database, and retain all the members and posts etc?

Thanks,
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: Remove Board from Web Server

Post by Pit$Bull »

You would not have to 'reinstall', all that would be required is to replace the files. Be sure to keep a backup of your config.php file as it contains your database information.
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

Yep. You wouldn't need to even reinstall. Just upload the files and edit config.php to point to the existing database. You can see how to correctly make a new config.php by reading Knowledge Base - Rebuilding Your config.php File.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
Unre4L

Post by Unre4L »

this might be a stupid question, but is the sql database kept in the phpbb directory?

If it is, then can you move the whole forum to another server by just copy and pasting the directory?
Signatures Suck
flat_webb

Post by flat_webb »

Unre4L wrote:this might be a stupid question, but is the sql database kept in the phpbb directory?

If it is, then can you move the whole forum to another server by just copy and pasting the directory?
The SQL databse is hosted seperately by your provider normally and is accessible by using phpmyadmin. You normally have to back it up then export it to move it...
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

No the MYSQL is usually kept on a different server

Knowledge Base - Moving Your phpBB3 Forum To A New Host Using phpMyAdmin.
flat_webb

Post by flat_webb »

darcie wrote:Yep. You wouldn't need to even reinstall. Just upload the files and edit config.php to point to the existing database. You can see how to correctly make a new config.php by reading Knowledge Base - Rebuilding Your config.php File.
Would my forum permissions etc remain intact? I have two closed forums I wouldn't want open for any length of time....
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

They would remain. All forum configuration data is stored in the database.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”