How to? Load a Database php ver. 2.0 to a db ver. 3.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
atigrado

How to? Load a Database php ver. 2.0 to a db ver. 3.0

Post by atigrado »

Hi guys,

I'm moving my whole forum to a new server. I'm taking te opportunity to upgrate it to Version 3.0 with a new style.

The new forum 3.0 , at the new server, is runing fine.

IS IT POSSSIBLE TO INSTALL A DATABASE FROM A 2.0 VERSION IN A 3.0 VERSION???

I tried to do a backup of the old database and replace ir with the new one using my FTP (to upload the sql.gz file) and using the control panel to install it.

It gives me an error.

Apparently the old data base and de new one has different names... and I guess also user names and passwords.

Keep in mind that one server allouds me to name the data base in one way and the other in a diferent way...

Thanks for the help.
Please think and learn about GLOBAL WARMING...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to? Load a Database php ver. 2.0 to a db ver. 3.0

Post by KevC »

atigrado wrote:IS IT POSSSIBLE TO INSTALL A DATABASE FROM A 2.0 VERSION IN A 3.0 VERSION???
No. They're very different.

Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”