ftp server won't connect during automatic update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
brendap

ftp server won't connect during automatic update

Post by brendap »

Hi

I am updating from 3.01 to 3.02 using the automatic update. I've used filezilla successfully to upload the install file into my server and have got to the step where you can choose to update through ftp or manually.
When I click on ftp it asks for server, username, password etc. I put all these in, the same as I use with filezilla and it won't connect, keeps saying:
Connection Failed. Unable to chang directory.

I am using the main website address as the server, am I supposed to use something else?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brenda
Kim_Possible

Re: ftp server won't connect during automatic update

Post by Kim_Possible »

You will need to check with your host. They will tell you what your FTP server address is. With my hosts it is: ftp.mydomain.com. Your mileage may vary. :)

Also note, there are quite a few people who, for various reasons have trouble getting FTP to work with the auto-updater. You can always download the changed files and then FTP them into place yourself (with Filezilla). In fact, I think that is the "preferred method."

Hope that helps.
USAFA 82
Name: Mike

Post by USAFA 82 »

I have the exact same problem as Brenda. When I updated to 3.0.1, I had to do it manually because I kept getting "specified username or password is incorrect." I even tried creating a new ftp account and new password but had the same problem.

I tried using the automatic update feature again to update to 3.0.2 but ran into the same problem. Since automatic update is the "preferred" method according to the documentation, it would be nice to get it to work.

Mike
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

Like Kim_Possible said, you've really got to check with your host about what the proper settings are. The path might include something like /public_html. My hosting has a few domains that are divided in my hosting control panel by separate hidden directories, and I do need to include this when using the ftp.

The other option, also as Kim mentioned, is to proceed with Auto update, choose to download rather than have the updater use ftp, then upload the files yourself to the correct locations.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
USAFA 82

Post by USAFA 82 »

In my case, I've tried different combinations including /public_html/forums/and /forums/. If I try something different, then I get the "unable to change directory" message that Brenda gets. I've also tried ftp.mydomain.com, mydomain.com and localhost.

In my case, I keep getting "specified username or password is incorrect" and I'm using the same username and password as when I use Filezilla. That seems to indicate that the path is correct but it doesn't like my FTP username and pw for some reason.

Anyway, I just did what I did last time, download the package with the changed files and manually updated via Filezilla. And my board survived! lol
brendap

Post by brendap »

Thanks for the advice, I will try it manually.
zukinaru

Post by zukinaru »

maybe it's bug!

i dont recommend filezilla
webproxiez.com
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

zukinaru wrote:maybe it's bug!

i dont recommend filezilla
What a silly comment.
Thousands of users have no problem with Filezilla. Please wait until you have something worthwhile to say before posting.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
USAFA 82

Post by USAFA 82 »

I absolutely love and highly recommend Filezilla. I used to use WS_FTP LE and the difference is amazing. Filezilla is much more user-friendly and has better features. The fact that it is free amazes me.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

USAFA 82 wrote:I absolutely love and highly recommend Filezilla. I used to use WS_FTP LE and the difference is amazing. Filezilla is much more user-friendly and has better features. The fact that it is free amazes me.
On a similar note I find FileZilla much more friendly than even CuteFTP, also a commercial app. For the price, you just can't beat FileZilla!
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
USAFA 82

Post by USAFA 82 »

It's been a year, but I wanted to post an update. I finally was able to connect and use the Automatic Update Package!

The settings I used are different from what FileZilla requires. I couldn't connect via automatic update using my normal username and password that I use within FileZilla.

I went into my cpanel/FTP Accounts and created a new FTP user account with access to the public_html folder. I had to use ftp in front of my domain name and had to use @mydomain.com after the user name as follows:

FTP Username: update@mydomain.com
FTP Server: ftp.mydomain.com

It worked perfectly! I used to dread doing forum updates but now it'll be easier to keep it up.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”