Making the jump from version 2 to 3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Colliope

Making the jump from version 2 to 3

Post by Colliope »

I've left my board untended for a long time but a recent surge in activity has me, well, tending to it and finding I am apparently way out of date.

I have read here http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INS ... ml#convert
and
here http://www.ktuk.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3081

and then went here http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus.php

to get the download. But even after reading the above, I'm not sure what to download. The Full Package ("best for new installs") or the "Update Package" ("for updating boards with modifications").

I'm currently at 2.0.19 (found that info on the bottom of my Admin Index page) and am using a modified version of the Diddle v1.03 theme. Also, my Forum shares a database with my Coppermine gallery, but they are not bridged.

It seems I would want the "Update Package" since I'm using a modified theme, but I'm not clear on whether that includes the automatic conversion option and I want to be sure I do this right.

Thanks,
C

Colliope

Re: Making the jump from version 2 to 3 -PS

Post by Colliope »

I also have the PHPBB Admin ToolKit v2.1a installed (which confirms I'm at 2.0.19 by the way).
Will that need to reinstalled?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Making the jump from version 2 to 3

Post by KevC »

You want the full package.

The update one is for updating between versions of phpBB3.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.

The toolkit will not work on phpBB3.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you may want to update your phpbb2 before you start this.
I am not sure if there were any relevant database changes between .19 and the current .23

all you have to do is to download the phpbb2 full package and then upload the included install folder to your phpbb2 folder.

Then, in your browser, go to :
yourdomain.com/yourphpbb2/install/update_to_latest.php
then delete the install folder.

Now you can continue with the phpbb3 install and then the conversion from phpbb2 to phpbb3.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Colliope

Post by Colliope »

Thankyou, Kevin for the quick and helpful reply. One more question if you don't mind.
After downloading phpBB3, is doing the conversion an automatic/mandatory step during the initial installation? In other words, can I install it, take my time in figuring out how to re-do the mods I made & making sure all looks & works right, THEN use the Conversion option? I understand that once I convert, any new activity in the original phpBB2 forum will not be able to be transferred over, so my options would be to 1) take the original 2 offline while I tweaked the new 3, which wouldn't be good as that will likely take me a while or 2) convert and let users use the forum while I'm trying to make it look like the old one that they (and me!) are used to.

Hope that makes sense, I'm kind of thinking outloud here.

C

Colliope

Post by Colliope »

Thankyou, Robert. Upp'ing to the current 2 first sounds easy enough, but will that also un-do the mods I have made? I'm going to have to let this all soak in before proceeding.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Colliope wrote:Thankyou, Robert. Upp'ing to the current 2 first sounds easy enough, but will that also un-do the mods I have made? I'm going to have to let this all soak in before proceeding.
ok, I did not know you would be leaving the phpbb2 board up for a while.

first, none of the MODs for phpbb2 will work in phpbb3

since you are going to change over anyway, just leave the updating of phpbb2 till you are ready to do the conversion.

I would not install and MODs to the new board until you have done the conversion though. I am not sure if the conversion will overwrite any MODs that you may have installed to the new board.

IF it was me, I would go ahead and install 3, update 2 then convert from 2 to 3 and then worry about MODs.
However, it is your board and I have no clue how many or what MODs you may want to install on your new board

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Colliope

Post by Colliope »

However, it is your board and I have no clue how many or what MODs you may want to install on your new board
I just compared my board to the Diddle theme over on the Demo board and am now thinking maybe I'm misinterpreting exactly what a "Mod" is.

From what I can see and remember, here are the changes I made:
Visually - I changed the graphics (logo, page background, post/thread icons) and added two links below the menu. I customized the FAQ text, and customized the registration text & changed the link on it (not the one that actually continues the reg, the other one re age confirmation).
Besides those visual changes the only thing I remember changing in any of the script files was "locking it down" using Jackals directions so that you can't get into anything except the FAQS if not registered & logged in. Oh, and I also added a bunch of smilie packs and a bunch of images for the Avatar gallery.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Colliope wrote:After downloading phpBB3, is doing the conversion an automatic/mandatory step during the initial installation? In other words, can I install it, take my time in figuring out how to re-do the mods I made & making sure all looks & works right, THEN use the Conversion option?
Installing and converting are two separate processes.

I would install it and send the link to your moderators and maybe a couple of other high posters and see what everyone thinks. Try out the new settings and features and then when you're ready for the move just shut the 2x board for a couple of hours while you do it.

MODs are really taken to be physical changes to the code rather than things like adding a logo or changing a colour. So your registration text is a MOD.

The conversion brings over the usernames, PMs, passwords, posts, permissions and forum structure. You will end up with a 3x replica of your 2x board in terms of the content. Smilies and avatars should be carried over ok.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Colliope

Post by Colliope »

Installing and converting are two separate processes.
Great! That's just what I needed to know. Helps immensely knowing I can install 3, tweak it and then do the convert when ready.

I'm going to go ahead and follow Robert's steps - install the full package for 3, update 2, then when ready, do the conversion.

Thankyou both very much for your help,

C

Colliope

Post by Colliope »

I sucessfully installed 3.0.3. I now want to tackle upgrading 2 from .19 to .23 as directed but can't find the download. I've been all over phpbb.com but all I can find are downloads for version 3.

C

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

As the conversion does not actually touch your old 2x board, and I think it should work ok on 2.0.19, give it a try and see how you get on. Only takes a few minutes.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”