SOLVED Error [2006] when posting many pics

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Ivaylo

SOLVED Error [2006] when posting many pics

Post by Ivaylo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Your board's URL: http://diecastcarsbg.com/forum/
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.3
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)?
It's a fresh install with converted DB from 2.0.23.
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? No.
MODs you have installed: None - yesterday I've installed custom skin, but the problem is before that.
When the problem started: After uploading the complete DB and activating the forum - from the beginning.
Your level of expertise (be honest): Beginner.

When someone tries to post about 5 or more photos with IMG tags, uploaded at international server, the page freezes at loading for about 30 seconds and it displays the error:
General Error:
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
MySQL server has gone away [2006]
I asked the hosting's support and they told me that this is caused because the forum is working with the mysql4 classes and it this should be changed to mysql5 or if I prefer mysql5_improve.

Is it possible the reason to be somewhere else? How can I change the mysql version without damaging my forum installation or database?

I'll appreciate any help and ideas. Thank you very much!
Last edited by Ivaylo on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ivaylo

Re: Error [2006] when posting many pics

Post by Ivaylo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm sorry to bump the topic but I've tried everything! :cry: 4 days later - still have no idea where to look and what to do. I tried to explain everything I know but you can ask if I'm missing something. :(

Please, does anyone have any suggestions what to try? I've installed 3.0.3 a week ago and still I can't get it working properly. :(

Thank you for your attention!

Ivaylo

Post by Ivaylo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:39 am

Fifth day - still no success. :( Is the topic too long? I'll clear it for now since the long explanation may scare the people. I can't see why this topic has been ignored for almost a week while many people write every day in the forum. :(

I'm starting to wonder if I need to update the MySQL version at all. Look what is said about the mysql_upgreader.php:
For example from MySQL 3.0.x or 4.0.x to 4.1.x or 5.x,
My local DB where I made the conversion phpbb2-phpbb3 was 4.1.x and online now is 5.x. The support told me that I have to upgrade the configuration files from 4 to 5 and it'll work, but as far as I can see 4.1 and 5.0 have similar settings or not?

I can't understand! I've tried to post a lot of photos in phpBB 2.0.23 on the same server and it worked! When I try the same with phpBB 3.0.3 it freezes and the error shows up. I made a test with another forum hosted in Europe and when I try to post more photos there it takes about 20 seconds too but at the end it shows the posting with no errors.

Could it be some option in phpBB 3.0.3 which checks the photos before submitting the post that slows down everything?

Except that the forum works pretty fast. It submits text posts for 2 seconds, 10 photos at local server for 3-4 seconds tops and when I post 10 photos from an international servers it takes 25 seconds and the server gives up. :x It happens in PM's, posting and previewing a post. It looks like a very simple problem and in the same time it's unsolvable... It worked fine in 2.0.23, I made an upgrade and it doesn't work anymore. :|

Ivaylo

Post by Ivaylo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:06 am

Oh, my God, I HAVE FOND IT! :D :D :D It took me 5 days of tests and agony and finally I gave the answer to myself! At least I hope that my misery will help to someone else. ;)

Since the IMG posting in 2.0.23 worked fine and it stopped in 3.0.3 then the reason was in something that presents in phpBB 3 only!

I took another look at the options concerning images and I saw the option "maximum image size". I set it to 1024 in order not to post larger photos. When I left it to 0 (disabled) it now posts 30 images in 3 seconds!!! :shock:

Now it makes sense. When posting photos from an international server, it takes more to load the photos and the server can't wait enough to load them and check their size. When posting from a local server it works fast and the server gets the images in time.

I still have to make some more test but it looks like I solved my problem. :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”