Smilie Management

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
baloo

Smilie Management

Post by baloo »

I've searched around but haven't found too much in the way of Smilie management.

What I am looking for is the following. If anyone knows how to implement any of the following I'd be most grateful.

1. Hidden Smilies. The ability to hide smilies from all members but still show up. Reason for this would be seasonal smilies. Don't really want to have 30 or 40 Xmas smilies cluttering the "more smilies" window in the middle of July, but if I remove them any threads made during Xmas will display the smilies used at the time.

2. Smilie sets. Similar to the first request but baring the ability to hide them, allowing Smilies to be grouped in sets so I can easily disable or enable a bunch of smilies based on their grouping.

3. Smilie Menus.
Instead of just the show more smilies, the option to have a drop down box with a list of smilie groups. So instead of a big page, a member can pick Bananas, war, cutesy, all, etc whatever the groups are.

4. Multiple Smiley code per smilie. This is the most basic request but would help a lot. My smiles tend to have numerous codes, i.e.

Code: Select all

;) ;-) :wink: 
would all pull the same smilies but with the current phpBB, I need to have 3 separate smilies listed and displayed in the more smilies to have all 3 codes working. It would be great to have one copy of the smilie registered but assign all the different codes.

While taking a firm stance now and clearing it all up would work, I really don't want older threads to have the missing smilie codes after a cleanup.

Do any other admins have any ideas on how to best manager a large bunch of smilies which over the years has built into a jumbled mess ?
baloo

Re: Smilie Management

Post by baloo »

I guess no one has the same headaches with smilies like I do...
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

I created my own smilies years ago when I was on ibskins and learned quickly to limit the # of smilies available and to keep seasonal ones from being listed in the pop up window except during holidays. There were a few people like you who asked for this feature but there wasn't really enough demand to get it in the code. I would suggest looking for a mod somewhere. Do a search here or google for it. Good luck.
baloo

Post by baloo »

thanks for the comment. I've looked for mods but can't find any that will let me do what I am looking for.

I'm with you on limiting the smilies when I start a new board and smilie requests will fall on deaf ears, but I can't do it to the existing ones.

The fact I can't have one smilie registered with multiple codes is the most annoying one at the moment.
zenrei

Post by zenrei »

the old smilie category mod for phpbb2 used to do all that.

I'm waiting for someone to come out with something like this too.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”