incomplete install --how to finish?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
lividsnails

incomplete install --how to finish?

Post by lividsnails » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 pm

Sorry I can't provide a URL but you shouldn't need it. This is a process question.
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.2 trying to upgrade to 3.0.4.
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? 3.0.2 was a fresh install. This is my first time upgrading.
If update, what package(s) did you use? tried to use the 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 package
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? Yes.

Here's my problem. I successfully installed phpBB3 for the first time a few months ago. Today I decided I should upgrade it because I was running an out of date version so I tried using the automatic installer.

I downloaded the install package, (was even careful to get the one from 3.0.2. to 3.0.4, skipping 3.0.3.) and followed the instructions. I made a backup of my old files first, then FTP'd the new files I downloaded and then went to the online installer.

I followed the instructions there too but here's where I'm stuck. After successfully updating the database, it checks the files. It says there are 166 files that are modified. I think it's referring to files I had modified, like the overall head and footer files, stuff like that. It says I can either keep the original files, use the new ones or use the merged ones. I was glad it was going to try to preserve and integrate my changes so I selected use the merged ones on all these then downloaded these merged files and FTP'd them over to my server, thinking that this would give me the new upgraded files that also have my merged changes incorporated --brilliant!

But now I'm stuck. How do I finish the install process? The instructions say to check the merged files again so I did but that threw me back into an endless loop. It keeps telling me that these files are different and I can either keep the originals, use the new ones or use the merged ones.

I see nothing that allows me to say yes, continue to the next step, nothing that would seem to end the install process. If I just close the automatic installer at this point and rename the install folder and go back to my board to see if it's working it tells me in the ACP that I'm still running version 3.0.2. and the install was incomplete.

I'm confused. Please help?

onehundredandtwo

Re: incomplete install --how to finish?

Post by onehundredandtwo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 pm

Are there any "conflicts" mentioned in the Automatic Update Installer? For any conflicts you cannot merge changes, instead you must either use the old file or the new file.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”