Avatars in forum, tried a lot of things, still broken

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
palladiumgm

Avatars in forum, tried a lot of things, still broken

Post by palladiumgm »

Your board's URL: www.calderarpg.com/forum
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.4
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? update from 3.0.2
If update, what package(s) did you use? 3.0.2
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? no
MODs you have installed: none
When the problem started: since day one, approx 8 months ago with previous install
Your level of expertise (be honest): minimal

Additionally, you may wish to provide the following (where applicable)
Template(s) used: guildwars alliance template
Language(s) used: english

Since my original installation of Phpbb3.0.2 I've had issues and haven't been able to see avatars or smilies. I've been scouring the internet for solutions. I've found many of them, but none of them worked for me. the issue is: I can upload my avatars to the directory where they should be, and when I open the user control panel to change/manage my avatar on the forum it lists the names of the avatars but does not show the picture. Just shows the box with the red x and the pic name. I hate to ask about this because so many other people have found solutions. here is a list of everything I have tried thus far with no positive result
  • Edited chmod alternating between 777 and 755 on the image files back and forth
  • alternated the chmod on the "files" directory as well as the images/avatars/upload from 777 to 755 and back again
  • Deleted all the avatars and re-uploaded, reset chmod
  • changed the path for the avatar directory and tried another location
  • verified the correct path and settings for my avatars in ACP, including proper file size and image height/width
  • checked file.php for script error as others had reported. Tried script fix, didn't work
  • updated to the newest version of phpbb today, set all modified files to be replaced by the update. nothing
  • Tried changed template/theme
The only thing I haven't done at this point is completely remove the php files and forum from my hosts server and do a clean reinstall. I'm a bit nervous about that because I've never tried to reinstall a backup before.

I'm just frustrated because all I did was go from version 2 to version 3 and suddenly local avatars dont work but they can be linked to on other sites. Smilies don't work either and I'm at my wits end. I just don't know what else to do. Is there anything else I can try before I just wipe it all out and start over?
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Avatars in forum, tried a lot of things, still broken

Post by narqelion »

Do you have hotlink protection turned on for your website?
palladiumgm

Post by palladiumgm »

I don't think so, and likely not the issue. I've used this provider before for other webprojects in which I utilized PHPbb. I went from phpbb2 to 3 on an upgrade and that's when things stopped working. same avatars worked in version 2

I will check though, thanks for the option.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I see the avatars fine.

http://www.calderarpg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=209

Yours is a blue dragon like looking one...if you're Palladium.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
palladiumgm

Post by palladiumgm »

that is not an avatar from the selectable local gallery. If you register on the forum (which requires no additional activation) you'll see in the user control panel that avatars are listed but the images aren't showing. they just show red x's. Smilies don't work when you're posting either.
mp04

Post by mp04 »

hmm... Just signed up, and went to the avatar page, and it seems to be working fine. I mean, I see you have a gallery for dragons, LoTR and Misc gallery, and ALL the images show up, include the animated gif in the Misc folder (the blue ninja man thing, that moving its shoulder up and and down)

even posted a test post with a smilies and that seems to work too :D
palladiumgm

Post by palladiumgm »

yeah sorry I didn't post sooner but I ended up just calling my hosting provider who normally wouldn't help with PHP support of personal files but they went through everything including the settings and fixed everything for me.

Even though I had altered all the chmod appropriately but had issues with the old install, apparently when I upgraded to the new 3.0.4 I forgot to reset the chmod on the 'files' folder. After a fresh upgrade to the newest version and proper chmod setting it was setup and fixed.

Thanks for the assistance everyone, I appreciate the input. Hopefully this thread will help some others that had a similar problem.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”