How To Remove phpBB3 Part From URL (Help Please)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
King3vil

How To Remove phpBB3 Part From URL (Help Please)

Post by King3vil »

hi, for the past 4 hours i have been trying to remove the phpbb3 part of the url for my forums. right now i have to type the url like this in order to access my forums: http://gamerzcentral.org/phpBB3/

Now, the way i want it to be is that whenever someone wants to type in the url to my forums i want it to be like this: http://gamerzcentral.org

please someone help, i have been tring to fix this for a while now. if i cant be helped here can someone refer me to a place where i can be helped.

All Help Is Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks In Advance.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How To Remove phpBB3 Part From URL (Help Please)

Post by KevC »

Either set up a redirection file from the site root or change the admin panel>server settings >scirpt path to / and move all the files back one on the server.

The address is /phpBB3 because that's the name of the folder you have put it in.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
King3vil

Post by King3vil »

ok i chnaged the >server settings >scirpt path to /

now my phpbb3 folder is inside the htdocs folder on the server. do i take the phpbb3 and move to outside of the htdocs folder?
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

If you are going to move the files (which I think is the more elegant approach), go into your ACP, then under "SERVER CONFIGURATION" on the left menu, select "Server settings ".
Under "Server URL settings", set "Force server URL settings:" to "No"

Now when you move phpBB3 to the new location, it will automatically adapt to the new path.

How easy it is to move the files depends upon your FTP program. With some, like Filezilla, you can just drag all the files and folders to the new location. You need to move everything that is inside the "phpBB3" folder into the "root" folder, which is the one holding the phpBB3 folder.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

now my phpbb3 folder is inside the htdocs folder on the server. do i take the phpbb3 and move to outside of the htdocs folder?
No.
Take all of the files that are inside phpBB3 and put them into htdocs.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
King3vil

Post by King3vil »

ok ok, so right now my phpbb3 folder is in the htdocs folder, so what do i do, do i just take all the stuff in the phpbb3 folder and move it to the htdocs folder?

sorry for the dumb questions im just not that experienced with this stuff.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Yes.

You have phpBB3 in the address because the files are IN that folder.
If you take them OUT of that folder so they are just inside htdocs then your forum address will just be the domain name.
King3vil

Post by King3vil »

ok so i moved the files out and into the htdocs folder but it wont let me move the last two (the store and styles folders) are they supposed to stay there?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

No, everything has to move.

Try downloading them to your computer then re-uploading to the htdocs folder.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

How are you moving the files and folders? You should use FTP to download them to your computer and then upload them to htdocs. if you have already moved them with a file manager or somesuch, just download those two folders with FTP and upload them to htdocs.
King3vil

Post by King3vil »

ok, so i re-uploaded the store and styles folders into the htdocs folder but they keep going under the phpbb3 folder thats in the htdocs folder. should i delete the phpbb3 folder?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You want this

/htdocs - all the files and folders that were inside the phpBB3 folder
/htdocs/phpbb3 - empty. Or it can have files in it, doesn't really matter. The key point is that the phpBB3 files need to be in htdocs.

At the moment you don't seem to have any in the the htdocs folder.
King3vil

Post by King3vil »

ok so now i've done that, all the files previously in phpbb3 are in htdocs and the phpbb3 folder is empty.

the problem now is when i go to GamerzCentral.org I get a white page with only this message "Welcome to 07x.net free hosting. Replace this with your own pages."

likewise when i go to GamerzCentral.org/phpbb3/ i get a title that says index of /Phpbb3 and it gives me two links. the first is called "Parent Directory" when i click that it gives me this Message again: "Welcome to 07x.net free hosting. Replace this with your own pages." the second link is called ".htaccess" and when i click on that it just takes me to a page with all these pop-ups.

and when i try going to GamerzCentral.org/htdocs/ it gives me the same webpage with the popups.

anybody have any idea why theres as to why it still isnt working correctly?
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Could you take a screen capture of what your FTP program shows when you're looking in the htdocs folder please?
There's obviously still something wrong.
Even if your web server isn't set to automatically go to index,php, your board should be accessable by browsing to

Code: Select all

http://GamerzCentral.org/index.php
but that just seems to trigger a "file is not there" type response.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
King3vil

Post by King3vil »

here is it what it shows: Image

from what i see everything seems to be fine. but for some reason all the different types of urls i try dont work.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”