I am more than confused

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: I am more than confused

Post by ric323 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 pm

aliciaInPgh wrote:Please tell me you are not just reading the last post I make and trying to go from there to help me.
Ummm, yes, I am trying to help.
Once again, making databases is something that your host offers, it is not a part of phpBB, so all we can do is point you towards your host's resources for creating a database.

You say you already have three. Do you know what each one was created for, or what it is being used for?
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 pm

I now have three databases. I just created number 3. I don't know what the other two are aside from them being labeled phpb1 and phpb2

using the database I just created and after filling in the boxes, I hit startinstall.

I get

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:10 pm

aliciaInPgh wrote:...
using the database I just created and after filling in the boxes, I hit startinstall.

I get

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
Apart from the password, please show us exactly what you put into the other fields. That error indicates that at least one of them isn't correct.
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Bumping this for you since you added new info. ;)

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 pm

OK... I finally got it to be an empty forum

and see this message.

Please ensure both the install/ and contrib/ directories are deleted

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm

aliciaInPgh wrote:OK... I finally got it to be an empty forum

and see this message.

That message is dislpayed while either of the folders called "install" and "contrib" are still present on your web server. Deleting them is the last step of installing phpBB2, because they could be used by a hacker to access your board.

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 pm

based on the relative sizes of the other 2 databases, I am guessing one is the new phpbb3 and the other is some version of the old phpbb2.0.21 I had, but that is just me guessing.

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm

ric323 wrote:
aliciaInPgh wrote:OK... I finally got it to be an empty forum

and see this message.

That message is dislpayed while either of the folders called "install" and "contrib" are still present on your web server. Deleting them is the last step of installing phpBB2, because they could be used by a hacker to access your board.

but we are not there yet, are we?

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 pm

aliciaInPgh wrote:based on the relative sizes of the other 2 databases, I am guessing one is the new phpbb3 and the other is some version of the old phpbb2.0.21 I had, but that is just me guessing.
If you have the access details for that database you suspect is the old phpBB2 one, then it is quite simple to make your new installation use it, just by editing your config.php file to connect to THAT database.
How to is described here: Knowledge Base - Creating a new config.php
Just make sure you backup the config.php file you have right now.
but we are not there yet, are we?
Delete those folders, we don't need them now.

I have to log out now, hopefully another team member can continue if you need more help for the next 8 hours.

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 pm

I deleted the folders using FTP and have managed to import drips and drops of my old forum sql file that I saved to my computer before I started all this into the newly created 3rd database using myphpadmin and import, but it is slow moving.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I got all excited when I tried it and the banner heading came up on my phpbb2 forum empty forum from a few post back.

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:10 am

have I overstayed my welcome or is nobody here that can assist me further?

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:31 am

well anyway this is where I am right now. I have the board, sort of...

It still has none of the posts or PMs or the other members on it but me, and I only have a small fraction of my "profile"... but it has the correct time, and all the different forum headings for each of the 5 sections.

I get :
Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_pagestart() in /home/hindsigh/public_html/login.php on line 37

when I try to access the admin panel.

How do I get the rest of the stuff that is supposed to be there, or is it really gone? When I made the backup from the admin section before I started all this conversion stuff, did that full backup not include the posts and members and things?

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 pm

bumping for a new day

wondering if this will be the day I get things fixed

themcman1

Post by themcman1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm

aliciaInPgh wrote:It still has none of the posts or PMs or the other members on it but me, and I only have a small fraction of my "profile"... but it has the correct time, and all the different forum headings for each of the 5 sections.

How do I get the rest of the stuff that is supposed to be there, or is it really gone? When I made the backup from the admin section before I started all this conversion stuff, did that full backup not include the posts and members and things?
Did you import the entire database?

The full backup should have included the posts + members.

aliciaInPgh

Post by aliciaInPgh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pm

themcman1 wrote:
aliciaInPgh wrote:It still has none of the posts or PMs or the other members on it but me, and I only have a small fraction of my "profile"... but it has the correct time, and all the different forum headings for each of the 5 sections.

Did you import the entire database?

The full backup should have included the posts + members.
Yeah, I figured that it does, but when you don't know how to work the things people tell you to download, well then you have a little problem.

so I have tried to find someone to tell me how to get the whole database imported, and all I get is "use bigdump" or "cut the text into 10000 line sections"... and when I look at the text, I wonder where is a good place to break the text so that nothing gets messed up as I am portioning it out to import one small chunk at a time.

simple step by step instructions should not be so difficult to obtain. I know that it makes it far less fun for you folks who understand this stuff, but for the befuddled folks like me, simple is better.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”