Spammers.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Shaun Brewer

Spammers.

Post by Shaun Brewer »

To anybody that can help.

I have searched the forums and can find very little regarding combating spammers and most appears to be for v2

I have my own phpBB board and I am also an admin on another. However we are having problems with spammers. A big thank you by the way to everyone involved with phpBB!

My board is 3.0.1 (I will be upgrading to 3.0.4 soon), and the other I am an admin on is 3.0.4 both are vanilla phpBB installs.

My board has few visitors/members so as well as signing up I insist on a separate email from new members requesting me to activate the account - they also need to mention the topic of the board in the email to help ensure they are real.

This works in so far as I do not get spammers on my site but unfortunately lots of people don't read the instructions and don't get activated.

The other site has more visitors/member so manual activation would be a pain.

Is the only solution to the spammer problem to monitor the members and deactiavte/delete doggy looking accounts? Monitor the posts and again delete the spam posts/accounts?

I am particularly concerened at the number of spam account that are set up and just sit there - can I expect a flood of spam at some point in the future unless the accounts are deleted. Some are obvious spam accounts but I am sure some are not so obvious.

Thanks in advance

Shaun

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Spammers.

Post by ric323 »

What CAPTCHA (Visual Confirmation) settings are you using?
GD CAPTCHA (the colour one) with some foreground and background noise enabled is still very secure.
With the addition of a custom field, you can stop any SPAMbots from registering on your board. See: Knowledge Base - Custom Profile Fields as an Anti-Spammer Tool
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

Thanks for the reply ric323,

I believe I have the settings fairly secure, I actually find it uncomfortable to visually identify the letters, but hopefully that is just me.
Settings
Settings
Visual confirmation settings.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
I will check out the link you have provided.

Thanks again

Shaun

Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

I have looked the the knowlege base artical - very interesting

Thanks again

Shaun

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Worth noting in 3.0.3 we introduced a new setting which automatically puts users posts on the moderation queue if they have less than a definable number.
Chris SmithGitHub

DBM

Post by DBM »

ToonArmy wrote:Worth noting in 3.0.3 we introduced a new setting which automatically puts users posts on the moderation queue if they have less than a definable number.
I think the visual captcha has been broken - I have spotted several spambot registrations over the past few days. None of them had posted yet but they bore all the hallmarks - such as using an IP that isn't allocated to a specific country (which in my experience usually means it's been spoofed), a name that looks machine-generated (random letters and numbers rather than a name), a hotmail/gmail account name that looks machine-generated, links to some spammy site etc.

So I have already implemented that new feature that you mentioned - a very welcome addition indeed! 8-)
I will also be reinstating the anti-bot question MOD.

But I do think it's worth reporting that the captcha has been broken. My settings are, I believe, the default ones: GD enabled, foreground noise disabled, background noise 25 on x-axis and y-axis. My board is bang up to date with 3.0.4.

Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

See my settings above

This Includes 'GD CAPTCHA foreground noise' and I am fairly certain that it has been broken too, I have had spam accounts sign up.

For info I have also had complaints that the characters are too difficult for some people to read.

Anyway I have implemented a twist on the code idea from the suggestions above on my board. It was very quick to implement (<1 hour), I was pleasantly surprised. I believe this would force the spammers to seperately target each board?

Thanks again everyone.

Also the new feature to put new posts on a moderation queue are helpful indeed. Once I upgrade I will probably use that too, thanks again.

I will post again if I get spam problems but was confident enough to switch to account activation by user, fingers crossed.

Shaun

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”