Unable to PM groups anymore, since 3.0.4 upgrade. Pls Help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sp3ctre

Unable to PM groups anymore, since 3.0.4 upgrade. Pls Help

Post by sp3ctre »

Hi,

I have upgraded to 3.0.4 and I seem to have lost the ability to PM groups.

I have checked the rules for the groups to allow them to receive PM's and that seems fine

I have checked the group I am in and that also has the ability to send to groups

It is just me that needs this ability at the moment but when I go to view user based permissions there is a pink "never" next to it, but if I click the trace icon the resulting trace is a permission of YES

I am very confused, as other than the forum upgrade I have not knowingly done anything to the settings and I was able to PM groups before the upgrade.

Please can someone help?

Many thanks
Last edited by sp3ctre on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sp3ctre

Re: Unable to PM groups anymore

Post by sp3ctre »

I have been looking further and the administrator group as well as my user can "send to groups"... I am at a loss now, any ideas?
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot where this "never" is being set. I have been through every group, every role and I just cant see anything set to "never". I am getting desperate now, this worked before the upgrade :(
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

*bump* Please can anyone help
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Could you post some screen caps of what you are seeing on the "permission masks" screen, before and after you click the arrow please.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

ric323 wrote:Could you post some screen caps of what you are seeing on the "permission masks" screen, before and after you click the arrow please.
Certainly, thanks

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

Just noticed ur in Oz, prob asleep now. Anyone else able to help, really need to get this feature working.

Thanks
Last edited by sp3ctre on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

bump
sp3ctre

Re: Unable to PM groups anymore, since 3.0.4 upgrade. Pls Help

Post by sp3ctre »

I have been through every security setting I can find in the admin panel, all groups, all roles, the specific user, none of them have a NEVER setting.

Is there anything I can look at from the database angle to debug this? I have checked my older installations and they are fine.

I have tried giving this permission to another user as well and that ends with the same result, the pink NEVER.
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I've pointed this topic out to some other people to have a look at.
All I can guess is that one of your files hasn't updated correctly. Do you have many MODs installed? It could be safest to revert back to a clean set of 3.0.4 files, check it works ok, then re-install the MODs.
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

This could be a side effect of a faulty MOD install.
Please fill in the Support Request Template to tell us what MODs you've installed.
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

Looks like you're spot on, I copied my config.php over to a fresh installation and it worked fine, so it is the files rather than the database. So, it looks like it is either down to mods or the upgrade procedure (or both)

I am happy to pursue this myself, but could someone give me a hint as to what files would possibly be responsible for this, to save me diff'ing them all?

Your board's URL: www.z4-forum.com
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.4
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? upgrade
If update, what package(s) did you use? upgrade from 3.0.3
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? no
MODs you have installed: Flags / quick reply / anonymous poll
When the problem started: Recently. I thought after 3.0.4 update
Your level of expertise (be honest): Moderate
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

Hmmm, that confuses things. The problem I expected was in the database, due to multiple sets of auth flags.
If it's in the code then it's probably a mistake in an edit somewhere, which could take weeks to trace down.
I'd advise starting with a complete set of clean 3.0.4 files, and re-install your MODs one at a time, checking for correct operation after each one.

If you want to check out in differences in the files (between a clean set and your modded set), then WinMerge is a great tool.
sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre »

ric323 wrote:Hmmm, that confuses things. The problem I expected was in the database, due to multiple sets of auth flags.
If it's in the code then it's probably a mistake in an edit somewhere, which could take weeks to trace down.
I'd advise starting with a complete set of clean 3.0.4 files, and re-install your MODs one at a time, checking for correct operation after each one.

If you want to check out in differences in the files (between a clean set and your modded set), then WinMerge is a great tool.
No worries, thanks for your help. I might try it the other way around, basically copying the existing files over to my (not used) 3.0.4 forum until it breaks. Do you think I can rule out the styles, or is it not even safe to do that?
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

I doubt your styles have anything to do with it.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”