Users frequently asked to log back in...

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
GlennE

Users frequently asked to log back in...

Post by GlennE » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but, I need to start somewhere so here goes...

I have a new forum (ver 3.04) at http://www.WestCoastGearHeads.com that appears to be running slow and frequently asks users to log back in, even though they are currently browsing the forum. Even myself and Moderators have the problem. Today, I had been kicked-out several times during each session... meaning, while working on the forum this morning during a 10 minute period, I was bumped-off 3-4 times forcing me to log back in.

Interestingly, I have an older forum version (3.0) on the same host that recently started to do the same thing after over a year of working fine.

I am working with my web host's support group but, wanted to ask here if anyone has had this problem. Can someone guide me done the right path to a solution?
Last edited by ckwalsh on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Support

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Re: Users frequently asked to log back in...

Post by ckwalsh » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Please provide us with the information necessary to assist you by filling out the Support Request Template.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:39 pm

We need your cookie settings, too.

GlennE

Post by GlennE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.4
What is your board's URL? http://www.WestCoastGearHeads.com/forum
How did you install your board? Manually
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? On two forums using phpbb 3.04, I am using Portal XL 5.0 premod 0.2 On a third forum, I am using phpbb 3.00 with only the "add user" mod All three forums have the problem and all three are on the same web host.
Please describe your problem. When logged on to one of the forums, whether an Admin or a standard user, the forum asks the user to log back in frequently.
Example... As a standard user, when I attempt to post a message then click submit, I am sometimes asked to log in first. Other users have complained that they log in and get bumped, when trying to post something.
Another example... When logged-in as Admin changing a the test user for this test, I activated user clicked submit then changed password. After clicking submit, I was bumped-out and had to log into the index then again into the ACP.
I'm not sure if it is related but, all three forums are now intermittently slow. Sometimes it takes over one-minute to load the index... even the forum with no mods (accept add user). The performance issue is affects one of my forums with no mods (except the user add mod).
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver,xabbblue
What language(s) is your board currently using? only English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 2817 $)

COOKIE SETTINGS:
Cookie domain: .westcoastgearheads.com
Cookie name: phpbb3_sfzsl
Cookie path: /
Cookie secure: disabled

TEMP USER NAME / PASSWORD:
test user
phpbbtest

GlennE

Post by GlennE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 am

It just got a bit more interesting... one of the three forums mentioned in the trouble ticket (http://www.eldridgeclan.com), which is hosted on the same web host is having a strange problem that relates to logging in. The forum is running on phpbb 3.0.0 and I haven't made any changes to it in a while. I logged-in as Admin then tried to log into ACP... it keeps cycling back and asking me to log in to the ACP and won't let me past the ACP login screen.

I made a call to my web host's support group but, haven't heard back from them yet. My guess is, they are automatically going to assume that it is the forum config and will probably not do any checking or troubleshooting.

Now... I can't even log into the eldridgeclan forum as a user.

I am providing this info, in case it gives clue to the trouble ticket I had posted. If it is not related, I'll open a different ticket, if I don't get it figured-out.

GlennE

Post by GlennE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 am

I just received a response from my web host support guys. They tell me that the sql server was heavily loaded. They optimized it and tested my forums, finding much better response. I am testing now and will post an update.

bar338

Post by bar338 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:32 am

who is your host? it seems somewhat similar to my problem, but not as bad yet.

My problems
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1466875

GlennE

Post by GlennE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 am

ipower.com

Although it appears that my performance issue is better; however, I am still having trouble with the forums bumping-me-off and forcing me to log back in. On each of the forums, this has happened several times to me tonight on two different computers. It's driving me nuts! I'm sure this is not a bug or problem with the software. My guess, it is either an issue with the web host or a config on my part.

xxxxmints

Post by xxxxmints » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm having the same problems too.
It seems to be if I dont' move to a new page within about 10 seconds the boards kicks me out.
I have cleared the cache folder but it has made no difference.
Mel

GlennE

Post by GlennE » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Although I am still confirming, I think IE7 and IE8 were part of the problem. IE6 appears to work fine. I added the site to the safe site list and it is now working normally for me. I have no idea why; I'm still researching.

I would be curious what browser you have and whether adding your site to the safe site list helps.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”