Registered Users Online showing YAHOO Bot

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
robdocmagic

Registered Users Online showing YAHOO Bot

Post by robdocmagic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi,

I recently turned on the "show who is online" feature of my board.

Enable Online user listing: Y
Enable online guest listing in viewonline: N
Enable display of user online/offline information: Y

Its a great feature.

However, a few minutes ago I noticed the YAHOO BOT was showing up in my registered user listings -- but I don't believe that the bot is an actual registered user? I would like this listing to only show my members how the BOTS that are currently scanning my site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. As a side note this is a private forum and I have to activate all users and you can't even view the forum unless you are logged in. In that case, should I consider removing all of the BOT and Search users from my database? If I was to do that, would there be any negative effects to my board?

-Rob

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: Registered Users Online showing YAHOO Bot

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:53 pm

If you wish to have no search engines ie Google, etc. indexing your board then you can set the 'bots' permissions to "no access"

robdocmagic

Post by robdocmagic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:If you wish to have no search engines ie Google, etc. indexing your board then you can set the 'bots' permissions to "no access"
Awesome, thanks! How would I go about doing that? I am [getting] very familiar with the ACP but not exactly sure how to accomplish what you suggest? Would it be for the entire "Bot" group?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:04 pm

ACP->permissions tab->forum permissions->put check mark in 'all forums' and submit->choose bots and click edit permissions. Set to 'No Access'

robdocmagic

Post by robdocmagic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:ACP->permissions tab->forum permissions->put check mark in 'all forums' and submit->choose bots and click edit permissions. Set to 'No Access'
Thanks a lot. Just a side question for a private forum like this are those bot accounts used for anything or could I also just remove them?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:24 pm

It's better to control them rather then remove them ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”