Keeps logging me out

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning

Keeps logging me out

Postby xxxxmints » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Hello

I've followed all the other posts, particularly the cooking settings, and can't seem to resolve this issue:

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.4
What is your board's URL? a-p-s.org.au/mcedforum
How did you install your board? I installed my board myself
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Conversion from phpBB2
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Please describe your problem. Forum keeps logging me out.
What styles do you currently have installed? redsilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? en
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5.0.67
What is your level of experience? medium

cookie domain: .a-p-s.org.au
cookie name: phpbb3_bikkies2
cookie path: /

I've deleted the files in the cache folder.

I've deleted the cookies in the browser.

I've run the query in the database.

In other words, I followed this http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/fixing-incorrect-cookie-settings/

I get logged out of both my forums (which happen to reside on the same server), it even logs me out of this forum.

Can someone help? I know there are a few posts on this but there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Mel
Last edited by ric323 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
xxxxmints

Re: Keeps logging me out

Postby wmtipton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:00 am

Have you tried another browser to see if its happening in both ?
Sometimes Firefox gives me fits with login in..and even with login pages entirely (such as refusing to even display them) but if I use explorer or Opera at that point they work fine.

If your getting logged out here too its obviously something on your end somewhere. Id try another browser first to see if thats it before doing much of anything else.
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench
wmtipton

Postby Fenris Wolf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:25 am

This is going to sound weird, but try the cookie resetting and clearing of the cache and browser cookies once more. Then a second and third time. And close your browser in between each attempt.

I tried that solution several times without success and the last time (possibly the 6th time) it worked.

Best of luck.
Fenris Wolf

Postby IngerK » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:57 am

I have had similar problems with Opera on two different phpBB3 boards. I administer one of them, and I have tried "everything" (deleted cookies in browser, security settings and cookie settings in phpBB, clearing cache). The problem is: sometimes I can log in with Opera, sometimes I'm logged out. In Firefox it works, always.

I have searched the forum again and again and found this solution I'm trying now, it's to early to say it's working, but I have not had the problem (with Opera) the last days. I have seen that a lot of you have this browser related login problem even with right cookie settings, maybe try this solution?

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=664055
IngerK

Postby ric323 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:37 am

xxxxmints wrote:I get logged out of both my forums (which happen to reside on the same server), it even logs me out of this forum.

There is your answer, this is not a problem with the setup of your board, it is something about your ISP.
You have made two posts on phpbb.com, and your IP has changed dramatically between those two posts. That is triggering phpBB's security mechanisms, and logging you out.
It must be something your ISP is doing which is causing this.

It is possible to lower this security level on your own board.
Enter the ACP, go to "Security settings", and change the "Session IP validation:" setting from "A.B.C" to "A.B" or even "None".
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
ric323
Former Team Member

Name: Ric

Postby wmtipton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 pm

ric323 wrote:
xxxxmints wrote:I get logged out of both my forums (which happen to reside on the same server), it even logs me out of this forum.

There is your answer, this is not a problem with the setup of your board, it is something about your ISP.
You have made two posts on phpbb.com, and your IP has changed dramatically between those two posts. That is triggering phpBB's security mechanisms, and logging you out.
It must be something your ISP is doing which is causing this.

It is possible to lower this security level on your own board.
Enter the ACP, go to "Security settings", and change the "Session IP validation:" setting from "A.B.C" to "A.B" or even "None".

Thinking back, I think I did have to do this during an earlier release. Seems like it solved my issue with log offs.
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench
wmtipton

Postby dr210077 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:16 pm

I am having this exact problem. I tried lowering the board security settings as directed, but to no avail. On my live forum I have startrek guides chatbox with sound mod, and on my test forum, (same server, different directory) I have wp-united's wordpress/phpbb mod. The problem didn't start until after I implemented the wp-united mod, although it was prevalent before I installed firefox. This is the first instance of it happening in firefox. I also notice that if I have one tab open to the live forum, and one to the test forum, I have no access to either as a user or administrator.

Please help.

*edit*: I just noticed that on the live forum, I also get logged out if someone logs in or logs out
dr210077

Postby Duck_NI » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:10 pm

I had problems with getting logged out all the time at random and tried all the fixes mentioned with modifying cookies, deleting cache etc

My problem was the ISP I was connected to (UK talktalk), worked fine on other ISPs but with mine it would not keep me logged in!!! As described above I put my security to “None” and like magic all was well with my forum and stopped logging me out. I’ve yet to try putting the security to a lower level...(if it is not broken don't fix it!). My security level with my ISP was the problem all along.

Cheers everyone!! :D

Duck_NI

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum