possible to auto upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Hovik

possible to auto upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4?

Post by Hovik »

Hello Friends,

I am trying to update 2 boards, one running 3.0.0 and the other 3.0.1 to the latest version 3.0.4 with the auto update package, I don't see files for anything under 3.0.2 unfortunately. Anyone know if there is such a thing available? Thanks in advance.

Hovik
Last edited by ric323 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Re: possible to auto upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4?

Post by Tom »

There is no auto-update package for versions 3.0.1 and earlier to 3.0.4. However, if you follow the following instructions, you can update your forum from 3.0.1 or earlier to 3.0.4 without the auto-update package. Using the method below will not carry over any MODs you have installed on those forums, though.
Introduction
I've been seeing many users in the Support Forum having trouble with converting their forum, running version 3.0.1 or earlier, to the new version 3.0.4. This article is a simple yet effective description for those in need of help with this subject. Please be aware that if you have any MODs installed on your forum, they will not be carried over with this update.

Update Guide
Below is a step-by-step guide to help you through upgrading to 3.0.4. Before proceeding with this guide, be sure to do a full database and file backup of the forum you are updating!

Step #1: Download the full version of phpBB 3.0.4 from the Downloads page.
Step #2: Upload everything in the 3.0.4 package to your server except the following files and directories:
  • config.php
  • images/ directory
  • files/ directory
Step #3: Copy the following files and directories from your un-updated phpBB installation into the root directory of the new 3.0.4 installation that you uploaded in Step #2:
  • config.php
  • images/ directory
  • files/ directory
Step #4: In your web browser, navigate to the install/database_update.php file in your 3.0.4 installation. Let the file run, and when it is complete, a confirmation page will appear on your screen. (E.g. www.yoursite.com/phpBB3/install/database_update.php)
Step #5: Once the database update is completed, delete the install/ directory from your 3.0.4 installation.

Conclusion
Congratulations! Your forum is now up-to-date and running 3.0.4. You will need to reinstall any MODs that you had installed on your previous forum, but your forum is now running the latest version of phpBB.

Side Notes
After performing this update, your newly updated forum will most likely be located at a URL such as www.yoursite.com/phpBB3, with the forum's directory name being phpBB3. If you would like your newly updated forum to be located at the same directory as your previous forum was, simply rename the directory of your newly updated forum from "phpBB3" to the name you wish.
I wrote up this guide myself and submitted it to the Knowledge Base. So, while it's awaiting approval in the Knowledge Base, I just quoted above so you could have it and use it. ;)
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Hovik

Post by Hovik »

Tom, thanks for the prompt reply and thorough information!

I am a little confused by this though:
Step #2: Upload everything in the 3.0.4 package to your server except the following files and directories:

config.php
images/ directory
files/ directory
Step #3: Copy the following files and directories from your un-updated phpBB installation into the root directory of the new 3.0.4 installation that you uploaded in Step #2:

config.php
images/ directory
files/ directory
Step 3 confuses me... Does that mean that I was supposed to install the new package into a new folder in the root in step 2? Then install the above files into that new folder from the original installation?

Basically, I copied the files (except config.php, images folder, files folder) to my existing PHPBB installation and overwrote the original files, then when I got to step 3 I got stumped. Can you explain more clearly what I do from here? Thanks!
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Hovik wrote:Step 3 confuses me... Does that mean that I was supposed to install the new package into a new folder in the root in step 2? Then install the above files into that new folder from the original installation?
I also found those instructions confusing.
If you have uploaded the new files into the same locaiton as the existing board was, then just ignore step 3, and proceed with the rest of his instructions. That corresponds with the second method described in the install documentation you will find in docs/INSTALL.html or here at http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INS ... pdate_full
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom »

Surely. I can understand why you would be confused by that step. I was actually a bit confused while I was writing it. Basically, you are supposed to upload the files as described in Step #2, but you are not really supposed to overwrite your forum's existing files. You were actually supposed to upload those files to a new directory instead of overwriting your current forum's files. But, don't worry - I can still help you even though you overwrote the files. :)

Since you overwrote all of the files and folders in your current forum except for the images/, files/ directories and config.php (at least I believe that's what you did), you have actually bypassed Step #3. If you have those two directories and your original config.php file and have not overwritten those things, then you can continue with the guide at Step #4. Please let me know if you experience anymore difficulty with the guide, as I wish to help you in any way I can since I wrote it myself. Also, once I hear back from a Support Team member about this guide that I submitted to the Knowledge Base, I will be sure to edit the guide to make Step #3 a bit clearer.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Hovik

Post by Hovik »

OK, great thanks guys. Everything worked out, it updated fine! Just clarify that step 3 Tom and your guide will be good to go. Very helpful!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”